How Does One Book Ship Travel Rather Than Air Travel?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

How Does One Book Ship Travel Rather Than Air Travel?

Post by Electric Earth »

I've always wanted to take a ship across the ocean. I hate flying, and now seems like the perfect time to take a ship If they're still running, and if there are even ships that go from Cambodia to the U.S. How do you go about finding this information? I assume cruises aren't operating right now given the virus and cruise ship issues. I've read that lots of freight ships offer some personal transportation also. Flight prices are high, so as long as the ship travel didn't exceed $1,500 or so, I'd totally go that route. Any ideas on finding possible routes/tickets available?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: How Does One Book Ship Travel Rather Than Air Travel?

Post by truffledog »

Electric Earth wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:26 am I've always wanted to take a ship across the ocean. I hate flying, and now seems like the perfect time to take a ship If they're still running, and if there are even ships that go from Cambodia to the U.S. How do you go about finding this information? I assume cruises aren't operating right now given the virus and cruise ship issues. I've read that lots of freight ships offer some personal transportation also. Flight prices are high, so as long as the ship travel didn't exceed $1,500 or so, I'd totally go that route. Any ideas on finding possible routes/tickets available?
google for cargo ship travel.

https://www.freighterexpeditions.com.au ... hould-know
https://www.cargoshipvoyages.com/
https://www.transitionsabroad.com/listi ... orld.shtml
https://www.langsamreisen.de/en/freightertravel/
and many more

They are not cheap at all and many suspended until minimum june or until further notice.

Many years ago a friend of mine was hired as a cook on such a freighter and did a RTW trip. Low income but fantastic experience.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Weird. I'm surprised by how expensive they are. Why would anyone pay More to travel on a cargo ship than by air, or about the same to travel by cargo as you would for a cruise ship full of amenities? I guess never-mind that idea.

Thanks for the info.

I could totally see it being a cool gig to cook on a ship and travel the world or something.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Electric Earth wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:16 am Weird. I'm surprised by how expensive they are. Why would anyone pay More to travel on a cargo ship than by air, or about the same to travel by cargo as you would for a cruise ship full of amenities? I guess never-mind that idea.
Its even comparable to a first class air fare or a 2bedroom with balcony suite on a cruise ship. There are many things in the world i dont understand, including the pricing of a cargo vessel trip.
work is for people who cant find truffles
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

truffledog wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:42 am
Its even comparable to a first class air fare or a 2bedroom with balcony suite on a cruise ship. There are many things in the world i dont understand, including the pricing of a cargo vessel trip.
They price freighter cruise berths at 100-120 Euros a day I think. That's less than a two bedroom with balcony suite on most cruise ships.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

It's still very expensive and does nothing but encourage stowaway freighter travel.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

That was a good idea though...i suppose prices are rising there too, due to increasing demand ? Anyway, i'd like to too.
[media] [/media]
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I have never done it, but i have seriously investigated "hitching" rides on sailboats before.
If you ask around any serious sailboat harbour you can often find travelling yachties who will welcome a fee paying passenger/deck-hand. Long voyages included.
Once again, not that cheap but a fab way to travel.
(i have done a couple sail trips in SEA but not by this method)
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:27 amI have never done it, but i have seriously investigated "hitching" rides on sailboats before.
If you ask around any serious sailboat harbour you can often find travelling yachties who will welcome a fee paying passenger/deck-hand. Long voyages included.
Once again, not that cheap but a fab way to travel.
(i have done a couple sail trips in SEA but not by this method)
I was kind of wondering about this sort of thing too. Good to know it exists. Thanks. The chance of someone going from Cambodia to the US right now seem slim, and unfortunately I'm not in Sihanoukville or something. It's probably difficult to find that info from Siem Reap. : ( I'll definitely keep it in mind for future travel, though. Sounds like a potentially great experience.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:57 am That was a good idea though...i suppose prices are rising there too, due to increasing demand ? Anyway, i'd like to too.
That video is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic