Seven New Airports for Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Seven New Airports for Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:57 pm
Clemen wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:53 am Isn't there one slated for Koh Rong as well?
Yep there is, by the Royal Group.
talltuktuk wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:48 am
Seven New Chinese Air Force Bases for Cambodia
FTFY
Clemen wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:36 am The Chinese, Belt and Road

:facepalm: Thai/local jv building one of the airpot in Koh Kong. Local/european/chinese jv building the Koh Rong (not mentioned in news article). And one of the other had at least some european money behind too (mondulkiri or battambang?).
Let's not close our eyes.
I'm not saying that this is good or bad, but the reality is that the Chinese state and Chinese companies are financing the three major airports that are already under construction in Cambodia. These will be international airports, unlike the projects for reopening provincial airports such as Battambang. ( A French co. showed interest in opening an airport for light aircraft and domestic flights, but nothing done so far AFAIK.)

Airports under construction:
    Koh Kong - All information that I can find says that the Chinese group UGC is financing the Dara Sakor airport in Koh Kong.
    For example: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2019 ... ld-up.html
      Phnom Penh/Kandal - The new PP airport is being financed by the China Development Bank : newsworthy/new-billion-phnom-penh-airpo ... 17700.html
        The new Siem Reap airport is financed by China’s state-run Yunnan Investment Holdings, Ltd.
        https://www.realestate.com.kh/news/Cons ... ap-starts/
        nemo
        Expatriate
        Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Anyone wishfully thinking these are anything other than military assets needs to pull their head out of their arse.
        I note one poster here is a PRC asset; his historical propaganda shows this for anyone who cares to confirm.
        In light of the Sihanoukville debacle, his "cheerleading" is particularly obvious.
        rogerrabbit
        Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

:beer3:
        Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:21 pm
        rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:57 pm
        Clemen wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:53 am Isn't there one slated for Koh Rong as well?
        Yep there is, by the Royal Group.
        talltuktuk wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:48 am
        Seven New Chinese Air Force Bases for Cambodia
        FTFY
        Clemen wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:36 am The Chinese, Belt and Road

:facepalm: Thai/local jv building one of the airpot in Koh Kong. Local/european/chinese jv building the Koh Rong (not mentioned in news article). And one of the other had at least some european money behind too (mondulkiri or battambang?).
        Let's not close our eyes.
        I'm not saying that this is good or bad, but the reality is that the Chinese state and Chinese companies are financing the three major airports that are already under construction in Cambodia. These will be international airports, unlike the projects for reopening provincial airports such as Battambang. ( A French co. showed interest in opening an airport for light aircraft and domestic flights, but nothing done so far AFAIK.)

Airports under construction:
          Koh Kong - All information that I can find says that the Chinese group UGC is financing the Dara Sakor airport in Koh Kong.
          For example: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2019 ... ld-up.html
            Phnom Penh/Kandal - The new PP airport is being financed by the China Development Bank : newsworthy/new-billion-phnom-penh-airpo ... 17700.html
              The new Siem Reap airport is financed by China’s state-run Yunnan Investment Holdings, Ltd.
              https://www.realestate.com.kh/news/Cons ... ap-starts/
              Yeah, true no point of closing eyes. 3/5 biggest airports are fully or majority china backed.

Anyways I was just pointing out that out of 8 future projects, only three are actually fully or majority financed by chinese. So the "7 Chinese Air Force Bases" is pretty much BS.

Don't know about the your definition of provincial airport but the Bangkok Airways financed Koh Kong airport and the Royal Group's Koh Rong one, both are planned to receive mostly international flights.
              pczz
              Expatriate
              Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Will all be overpriced. thye will just copy bangkok Air
              SternAAlbifrons
              Expatriate
              Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

nemo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:33 pm Anyone wishfully thinking these are anything other than military assets needs to pull their head out of their arse.
              I note one poster here is a PRC asset; his historical propaganda shows this for anyone who cares to confirm.
              In light of the Sihanoukville debacle, his "cheerleading" is particularly obvious.
              Who is that Nemo?
              CEOCambodiaNews
              Expatriate
              Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

US$3.5 Billion Injected for Airport Construction and Improvement
              AKP Phnom Penh, April 17, 2020 --

Construction of new airports and improvement of existing airports in Cambodia need in total US$3.5 billion, according to the figures from the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation, showing that the investment amount is for the 2015-2023 period.

The investment amount is for the construction and upgrading of three existing international airports, three new international airports currently under construction and four domestic airports already in construction plan.

Cambodia Airports, the company developing and managing the three international airports – in Phnom Penh capital, Siem Reap and Preah Sihanouk provinces – has injected US$686 million for enhancing the handling capacity of the three international airports for 2015-2023.

Some US$1.5 billion has been invested in the construction of new Phnom Penh international airport in Kandal and Takeo provinces, while the construction of new international airport in Siem Reap province and Dara Sakor international airport in Koh Kong province would cost some US$980 and US$150 million, respectively.

For domestic airport in Koh Kong province is estimated to cost about US$60 million, Poipet airport some US$50 million, and Mondulkiri airport around US$60 million, SSCA said, adding that these airports are now in the construction plan.

Moreover, Cambodia Air Traffic Service Co. Ltd., which provides air traffic control service, flight information service and alerting service across Cambodian airspace, invested additionally on the improvement of air traffic system in Cambodia from Aeronautical Information Service to Aeronautical Information Management, which better serves airspace users and air traffic management in terms of information management requirements.

By Chea Vannak
              https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/30059
              Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
              Twitter
              YouTube
              Instagram
              nemo
              Expatriate
              Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Who is that Nemo?
              Not you.
              SternAAlbifrons
              Expatriate
              Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Thanks CaptainN, to be clear. I have made some serious challenges to previous reports of "foreign military bases" along the coast. Because i know that coast, i care about that part of the country more than most people.
              The parts that i don't know, i look very hard for reliable evidence of what is happening because it directly affects my wild animals and birds. I neeed to know everything that is going on. Life or death stuff, for the things i care about most.

ANd, i see phantom military bases as a huge distraction from what is actually happening - 80 k's of the primest part of the coast being overrun by a foreign power. By settlement, not by fighter jets.
              That has been my argument.
              Because to date there is no hard evidence i can find, that there is any military characteristics (yet) to the airfields or tourist jettys that were identified. No AA, no heavy military infrastructure, no speciallised communication, no large scale capacity beyond the norm for large scale mass tourism.
              I see hoards of invading tourists and settlers coming instead.
              The west could loose the struggle if they do not wake up that the invasion, occupation, domination is already happening everywhere right under our noses - economically.
              On this coast - and back home.
              atst
              Expatriate
              New Zealand

Post by atst »

It's a good thing if it keeps the Chinese drivers off the highways :Yahoo!:
              I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
              What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
              rogerrabbit
              Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

The new Phnom Penh International Airport

Video:

The new Siem Reap International Airport

Planned new Sihanouville airport terminal
              Post Reply Previous topicNext topic