Building your own home

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Building your own home

Post by fazur »

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

beaker wrote: ↑Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:58 am Anyone thinking of building a home should check out the Eco bricks made in Phnom Penh. The price , last I checked, was $7 for a pallet of ~50 bricks. They can be laid by anyone with out any experience much like 'Lego' bricks and would be a great family project. They also save as they look great without having to be cemented over as the traditional building style here also come in different colors and some have decorative images pressed into the bricks.

Without the use of cement and decent plastering those bricks will be ant and termite infested in no time.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Ants and termites don't really care about plastering or cement, they can easily finds ways through or around it. Still, those bricks don't really save much money.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

BklynBoy wrote: ↑Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:30 am what happened to @Anthony's Weiner

didnt he build a home in thailand??
Probably went back home for shock treatment for his TDS.πŸ˜‹
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: ↑Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:32 am Ants and termites don't really care about plastering or cement, they can easily finds ways through or around it. Still, those bricks don't really save much money.
I'm interested in your reasoning as to how using brick that you can lay yourself and don't need plastering or cement on either side would not be cheaper. They can also go up much quicker too
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
MickyC
Tourist
Australia

Post by MickyC »

beaker wrote: ↑Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:58 am Anyone thinking of building a home should check out the Eco bricks made in Phnom Penh. The price , last I checked, was $7 for a pallet of ~50 bricks. They can be laid by anyone with out any experience much like 'Lego' bricks and would be a great family project. They also save as they look great without having to be cemented over as the traditional building style here also come in different colors and some have decorative images pressed into the bricks.
I looked into this brick myself and thought it to be an interesting alternative to the "usual" bricks being used in Cambodia.

I contacted Hav from "My Dream Home" who makes a similar brick in PP... to get some cost's and as mentioned here it is about $7/m2 not including transportation costs.

There is a similar design brick in Malaysia (as there are others in Thailand), however, the one that "My Dream Home" offers is a size of 200mm x 100mm x 100mm which I am not too fond of as I'd prefer the width to be broader than it's dimension in height (as is found to be in most western brick dimensions).

I still think it is a good alternative to try and would not hurt to apply a thin layer around the top of the surface of the brick, maybe some thinner mortar or sikaflex of some sort to seal it from any termites/ants.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

MickyC wrote: ↑Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:35 am
I looked into this brick myself and thought it to be an interesting alternative to the "usual" bricks being used in Cambodia.

I contacted Hav from "My Dream Home" who makes a similar brick in PP... to get some cost's and as mentioned here it is about $7/m2 not including transportation costs.

There is a similar design brick in Malaysia (as there are others in Thailand), however, the one that "My Dream Home" offers is a size of 200mm x 100mm x 100mm which I am not too fond of as I'd prefer the width to be broader than it's dimension in height (as is found to be in most western brick dimensions).

I still think it is a good alternative to try and would not hurt to apply a thin layer around the top of the surface of the brick, maybe some thinner mortar or sikaflex of some sort to seal it from any termites/ants.
I have seen them construct with a glue between layers or with the seams 'grouted' both would/should stop ants/bugs.
If I were to build with these I would have an air gap between double outside walls maybe a void filled with rice hulls or an inch of foam insulation glued to inside of exterior wall with air gap double wall or even a meter wide gap that could have storage or stairways that could be shut off from living area.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

MickyC wrote: ↑Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:35 am

I have seen them construct with a glue between layers or with the seams 'grouted' both would/should stop ants/bugs.
If I were to build with these I would have an air gap between double outside walls maybe a void filled with rice hulls or an inch of foam insulation glued to inside of exterior wall with air gap double wall or even a meter wide gap that could have storage or stairways that could be shut off from living area.
jimi hendrix
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bobagubi »

Just inquired with the folks at https://www.facebook.com/invironmentalb ... 1&fref=tag

The price is now $8.5 / m2.
αžŸαžΌαž˜αž’αžšαž‚αž»αžŽαžŸαžΌαž˜αž‡αŸ†αžšαžΆαž”αž›αžΆαŸ”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic