Building your own home

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Building your own home

Post by Duncan »

Bluenose wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:15 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:31 pm Container homes are the worst possible idea for the tropics. Extremely hot and stuffy, and even if you were to green roof it somehow, steel doesn't last long in the humidity. What do you mean by "yourself"? You mean he physically did it all himself, or he hired contractors and did the design himself? Plenty of people do the latter.
The steel that containers are built from is specifically designed to be resistant to high moisture levels and doesn't actually need to be kept properly painted. But as someone who spends a bit of time inside them as part of my job, I wouldn't like to live in one.

But have you ever spent time in one that is lined on the inside and outside with a roof over the top. I have.

There are many things that look terrible and even taste terrible, but if the product is prepared properly it is totally different to the original raw product.

I say again ,, a shipping container is only the framework for the building and must be lined on the inside and outside with a roof over the top if it is to be used for housing.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Agreed, but the ones I've seen here that end up used for building are decommissioned ones near the end of their working life. Peeling paint, rusty corners and so on. Low ceilings are also pretty horrible to have here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

I built my house in Takmau. I acted as the general contractor and hired my brother in law to help over see the work.

Shipping containers are small and ugly. Brick and mortar is the only way to go.
WhereNext
Tourist
United States of America

Post by WhereNext »

I want to thank everyone for their input. I think the containers are a good idea on paper, but would end up being a huge mistake for me to try, especially in a foreign country.
WhereNext
Tourist
United States of America

Post by WhereNext »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:54 pm Andy KK is the only person i have known that has built his own home in Cambodia on the banks of the mighty Mekong>> :-)

Ie; with his own hands
This is the video that caught my attention:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The only thing that was not shown or mentioned in that video was the Hard Title for the land.

I thought that the Government had the rights to take any land within 50 m ?? of the waterfront .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Duncan wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:45 am The only thing that was not shown or mentioned in that video was the Hard Title for the land.

I thought that the Government had the rights to take any land within 50 m ?? of the waterfront .
I think it belongs to the king Duncan, and I think its 5m also the same from any roadside. (watch out for sand dredgers) I actually bought it from the Sangkat not in my name at 3,000real with some papers signed by them. no worries for me being it was something I wanted to do.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

what happened to @Anthony's Weiner

didnt he build a home in thailand??
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Anyone thinking of building a home should check out the Eco bricks made in Phnom Penh. The price , last I checked, was $7 for a pallet of ~50 bricks. They can be laid by anyone with out any experience much like 'Lego' bricks and would be a great family project. They also save as they look great without having to be cemented over as the traditional building style here also come in different colors and some have decorative images pressed into the bricks.

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I built my home here in phuket, but not with my own hands nor alone
had a general contractor as required, but i found all the materials i wanted and than the contractor ordered them and I oversaw construction daily for 6 LONG months
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic