What is with all the 40 year old Barangs dying from heart attacks?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: What is with all the 40 year old Barangs dying from heart attacks?

Post by Anchor Moy »

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I get the impression that there have been fewer reports of young barangs dying of "heart attacks" in Cambodian hotel rooms since the coronavirus outbreak and the travel restrictions.
:?:
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

numacsys wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:48 pm Sometimes I think it's a combination of factors which seem irrelevant to some. Poor drainage and sewage design (leading to escaping noxious gases), food cooked on cheap pans with heavy lead content or maybe even mercury, cheap flavour-enhancing food additives which might not have been quality controlled and just about anything in one's home here designed to save money. For example, I often have migraines in this apartment I live in. Cause could be anything from the heat (I don't think so as I enjoyed long stretches of time in Thailand without these headaches) to cheap toxic paint on the wall or tap water which (when boiled) has a chemical smell in it.
if you use a gas stove make sure theres plenty of ventilation
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

numacsys wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:48 pm food cooked on cheap pans with heavy lead content or maybe even mercury,
As a matter of interest:

Aluminum cookware made from scrap metal in countries around the world poses a serious and previously unrecognized health risk to millions of people according to a new study. The highest levels were found in cookware from Vietnam including one pot that released 2,800 times more lead than California's Maximum Allowable Dose Level (MADL) of 0.5 micrograms per day.

The study, "Metal exposures from aluminum cookware: An unrecognized public health risk in developing countries," is published in the February 2017 issue of the journal Science of the Total Environment.

Journal Reference: Jeffrey D. Weidenhamer, Meghann P. Fitzpatrick, Alison M. Biro, Peter A. Kobunski, Michael R. Hudson, Rebecca W. Corbin, Perry Gottesfeld. Metal exposures from aluminum cookware: An unrecognized public health risk in developing countries. Science of The Total Environment, 2017; 579: 805 DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.11.023
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 110345.htm
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:51 pm
numacsys wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:48 pm food cooked on cheap pans with heavy lead content or maybe even mercury,
As a matter of interest:

Aluminum cookware made from scrap metal in countries around the world poses a serious and previously unrecognized health risk to millions of people according to a new study. The highest levels were found in cookware from Vietnam including one pot that released 2,800 times more lead than California's Maximum Allowable Dose Level (MADL) of 0.5 micrograms per day.

The study, "Metal exposures from aluminum cookware: An unrecognized public health risk in developing countries," is published in the February 2017 issue of the journal Science of the Total Environment.

Journal Reference: Jeffrey D. Weidenhamer, Meghann P. Fitzpatrick, Alison M. Biro, Peter A. Kobunski, Michael R. Hudson, Rebecca W. Corbin, Perry Gottesfeld. Metal exposures from aluminum cookware: An unrecognized public health risk in developing countries. Science of The Total Environment, 2017; 579: 805 DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.11.023
Metal exposures from using aluminium pots and pans when cooking is not a new problem . It was widely known about in the 1950's even in our household , which is when I can first remember about the problem. But today most new cooking implements are made from a harder type of Aluminium,,, as in aluminium cans ,,, not the pure alu which was softer and dissolved and got pitted over time and you saw that in those older cooking implements as the ended up with holes in them . I can still remember my uncle repairing them using a bolt , washers and a nut. .

Ain't it funny that no-one complains about the aluminium sulphate that is used in the water treatment plants.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Now to add to that story, I have a water distiller in PP and in OZ. When all the water has been boiled away what is left in the distiller is the stuff that will not evaporate at boiling point 100 degrees C. And here in pic is what it looks like after many, maybe 20 or 30 times of distilling 4 lt at a time and drying the remains.

Yep, your drinking that in your tap water.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Duncan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:51 pm
As a matter of interest:

Metal exposures from using aluminium pots and pans when cooking is not a new problem . It was widely known about in the 1950's even in our household , which is when I can first remember about the problem. But today most new cooking implements are made from a harder type of Aluminium,,, as in aluminium cans ,,, not the pure alu which was softer and dissolved and got pitted over time and you saw that in those older cooking implements as the ended up with holes in them . I can still remember my uncle repairing them using a bolt , washers and a nut. .

Ain't it funny that no-one complains about the aluminium sulphate that is used in the water treatment plants.
When I made my post, I assumed that everyone was aware of the problem with aluminium pans in general, my point was to draw attention to the fact that all aluminium pans are not the same and that the cheap pans made from recycled material contain a high lead content which is far more dangerous than using "normal" aluminium ware.

To reiterate:
The highest levels were found in cookware from Vietnam including one pot that released 2,800 times more lead than California's Maximum Allowable Dose Level (MADL) of 0.5 micrograms per day.
I was not until recently aware of the health risk caused by lead content in pans made from recycled material and I assume many people were unaware of this. My warning is about lead poisoning from these cheap pans made from recycled material which is far more insidious than health issues that may be caused by aluminium pans in general
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Duncan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm Now to add to that story, I have a water distiller in PP and in OZ. When all the water has been boiled away what is left in the distiller is the stuff that will not evaporate at boiling point 100 degrees C. And here in pic is what it looks like after many, maybe 20 or 30 times of distilling 4 lt at a time and drying the remains.

I use a filter. theres a lot of mud and chlorine in PP water but I doubt much else
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Duncan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm Now to add to that story, I have a water distiller in PP and in OZ. When all the water has been boiled away what is left in the distiller is the stuff that will not evaporate at boiling point 100 degrees C. And here in pic is what it looks like after many, maybe 20 or 30 times of distilling 4 lt at a time and drying the remains.

Of all the things you could smuggle, Dunc
and you chose ^^^

You are even more unfathomable than i thought.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:11 pm

I use a filter. theres a lot of mud and chlorine in PP water but I doubt much else
Your filter will not filter out any chemicals that are washed into the water supply during the heavy rain storms. Eg, DDT , 24D and all those other Agent Orange , roundup, fruit and veg sprays that are sprayed around farms.

Try putting some food colouring on the inward side of your filter and see if it filters it out. I'm even willing to place a large amount $$$$ on it ,, Your filter will not filter it out , but my water distiller will.

Been there Done that.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:11 pm Yep, your drinking that in your tap water.
[/quote]

phnom penh has cleaner drinking water than many US cities

it has won gold medals in international competitions

Flint ring a bell, anyone?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic