Has Trump blown his chance of re-election?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Has Trump blown his chance of re-election?

Post by Doc67 »

He is getting some pretty rough press at the moment and his outbursts at journalists, his arguing with his medical advisors in public, his initial dismissal or at least the downplaying of the threat, the now horrible numbers of death and infections in the U.S, [insert your own gripe or praise here] are taking their toll.

At the beginning of the year he looked a shoe-in for re-election. I was looking forward to him and either Biden or Saunders going head to head in a debate. Now it's a different story. He is not having a good crisis and there is nothing on the horizon that looks like a safe port in this very big storm.

Now it's Biden as his opponent, can he beat Trump just by being 'not Trump'?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Has Trump blown his chance of re-election?

Post by Marty »

Trump is bullet proof. I thought his career was over when the "grab women by the pussy" video came out. But no, that kind of talk doesnt seem to bother people. And he's seen as beholden to nobody when he goes up against media people like that.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:33 pm He is getting some pretty rough press at the moment and his outbursts at journalists, his arguing with his medical advisors in public, his initial dismissal or at least the downplaying of the threat, the now horrible numbers of death and infections in the U.S, [insert your own gripe or praise here] are taking their toll.

At the beginning of the year he looked a shoe-in for re-election. I was looking forward to him and either Biden or Saunders going head to head in a debate. Now it's a different story. He is not having a good crisis and there is nothing on the horizon that looks like a safe port in this very big storm.

He could play the “I am the only one who can make China pay for this” card.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

What a choice: Trump or Biden. American politics has never been in such a state of complete disarray evidenced by these two candidates. Ad the American public having proven themselves to be either stupid or wilfully blind, and it doesn't really matter who is running for presidency as it seems the majority of Americans are morons believing any idiot that stands on a podium has the ability to run a country.

The USA has lost any remaining credibility on the world stage after the C-19 fiasco and frankly I believe they're getting what they deserve for voting in such an obvious lunatic in Trump. WTF did they expect?

I think a more important question is; America is broken, how do you fix it?
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

Marty wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:41 pm Trump is bullet proof. I thought his career was over when the "grab women by the pussy" video came out. But no, that kind of talk doesnt seem to bother people. And he's seen as beholden to nobody when he goes up against media people like that.
Have you seen the unemployment figures? This isn't some shitty video that the mouth breathers of Missouri can ignore as fake news. The USA are swapping a 73 year old lunatic for a 77 year old wierdo. Why do you have to be senile to run for president anyway? Strange country.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

theKid wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:52 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:33 pm He is getting some pretty rough press at the moment and his outbursts at journalists, his arguing with his medical advisors in public, his initial dismissal or at least the downplaying of the threat, the now horrible numbers of death and infections in the U.S, [insert your own gripe or praise here] are taking their toll.

He could play the “I am the only one who can make China pay for this” card.
That's my take away - after the dust has settled on this COVID19 business, you can bet he'll be after China & stirring up the patriotism card again. Question is probably whether Biden can get enough Democrats to turn up to vote - same in most party politics; folks just vote for whoever they've grown up loving (or not hating) and rarely change based on party policy or mandate. So the question is more whether party A or B can mobilise their voters or not. In a 'warpath' setting, you can bet Trump's turn out will be very high.

--"I don't like it any more than you men."
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

waiting to see who Biden chooses to be his running mate, (my vote goes to Elizabeth Warren)
he needs someone to pull in other voters and someone the american people will be happy with to run the country once he dies, as no way would he make it 4 years.

Its going to be you vote either for trump or against him

some words form Hunter ;
HST would have been horrified to see what happened in 2016. The political journalist who opposed Nixon and everything he stood for with every fiber of his being would not have taken kindly to a GOP president who was even more venal, who lied more frequently, who actually looked more like his Ralph Steadman caricature than even jowly old Tricky Dick.

But goddammit if Thompson wouldn't have been the ideal journalist for this moment. There are almost none whose writings have aged this well. (Certainly not Bob Woodward, the Watergate reporter who got so played by the perpetrators of Stupid Watergate that he thought backing the murderous Mohammed bin Salman in Saudi Arabia was a good idea.)

HST would have seen through every ounce of Trump's bullshit in a nanosecond, and told us why. He wouldn't have let that guff about voters with "economic anxiety" stand. His columns would have been more essential than any iteration of the Daily Show.

https://mashable.com/article/freak-king ... -thompson/
Last edited by phuketrichard on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Isn't it compulsory for P'sOTUS the serve a second term?
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Longhaul12 »

Whilst is recognise this subject is about that of trump/America. I ask if the leaders of Australia or the western countries as a whole are in much of a better position?
The points KFH raise are quite valid though I feel the situation is the same in most western countries these days. That is, voting for the lesser of two evils rather than one leader who will do great things promised by the country. A sad situation in present democracy’s, where to from here?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Longhaul12 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:23 pm Whilst is recognise this subject is about that of trump/America. I ask if the leaders of Australia or the western countries as a whole are in much of a better position?
The points KFH raise are quite valid though I feel the situation is the same in most western countries these days. That is, voting for the lesser of two evils rather than one leader who will do great things promised by the country. A sad situation in present democracy’s, where to from here?
There's a terrible danger in voting for the lesser of two evils because the parties can set it up that way.
Hunter S. Thompson
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic