teachers getting reduced salary because of coronavirus?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: teachers getting reduced salary because of coronavirus?

Post by rexwell »

Living on $500 per month is a self imposed lockdown for a westerner. Yes, save for the future, but life should be enjoyed, and not treated as an economy run.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rexwell wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:58 am Living on $500 per month is a self imposed lockdown for a westerner. Yes, save for the future, but life should be enjoyed, and not treated as an economy run.
We all simply have to make best of it, within our limitations. If @Electric Earth is satisfied for now with his lifestyle under the current circumstances that's actually a good thing. For the time being everyone currently in Cambodia is pretty much stuck here and has to deal with all the limitations coming with that deal.

There might be an another occasional flight out, there still are extremely expensive regular flights occasionally it seems, but not everyone can cough up the finances to fly those, and not everyone will be happier back home where they will arrive in a lock down and probably will sit out (and pay for?) a 14 days quarantine.

I hope Electric Earth will be on his plane in two months time, but the longer this lasts, the more convinced I get this won't be solved in weeks.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better, I would imagine. Lots of the middle class kids who fill the language and pseudo international schools have parents who are merchants. If the trade isn't there, I think one of the first things to be cut will be the relatively expensive schools they send their kids to. I'd imagine the top tier international schools will be OK and the almost free bottom rung may even do better, but the squeeze will be in the middle. Even when the schools do reopen, I'd expect dramatically reduced numbers and therefore teaching staff.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

xandreu wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:36 amI'd imagine it would be a huge deal if you've run out of money, the borders are still closed and there are no flights into or out of the country.
Well I won't be Out of money in a couple months. I'll just be at a point where I would want to play it safe and head back to the US. I want to make sure I also have the funds left to integrate back into life in the US. which takes a good amount of money too. You're looking at a couple grand just to move into an apartment when I get back, plane ticket, etc. If need be, I could stick it out here for longer. And if, for some crazy reason, which would be a sign of bigger problems anyway, I could always reach out to friends or family if I got stranded here for a Really long time. Not that it's any concern of anyone here, but I'm not going to end up homeless. I'm fine.

Who'd of thought that saying you can live comfortably in Cambodia on $500/month would cause such strong feelings, and people getting all upset and accusing you of living in unsuitable conditions and on the brink of homelessness. God forbid I decide to live on a budget so unfathomable by the wealthy, carefree elite of CEO...
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Cambo Dear wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:12 pm It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better, I would imagine. Lots of the middle class kids who fill the language and pseudo international schools have parents who are merchants. If the trade isn't there, I think one of the first things to be cut will be the relatively expensive schools they send their kids to. I'd imagine the top tier international schools will be OK and the almost free bottom rung may even do better, but the squeeze will be in the middle. Even when the schools do reopen, I'd expect dramatically reduced numbers and therefore teaching staff.
That's exactly the reason I'm guessing many people might end up leaving once schools do start again. Plenty of teachers are willing to wait it out a bit and see how things go, but a lot are going to bail if schools start up again and there's a combination of fewer jobs and low pay. Lots of people will live on limited income in the short term while they wait. I don't think nearly as many will want to live on a limited income long-term.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Cambo Dear wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:12 pm It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better, I would imagine. Lots of the middle class kids who fill the language and pseudo international schools have parents who are merchants. If the trade isn't there, I think one of the first things to be cut will be the relatively expensive schools they send their kids to. I'd imagine the top tier international schools will be OK and the almost free bottom rung may even do better, but the squeeze will be in the middle. Even when the schools do reopen, I'd expect dramatically reduced numbers and therefore teaching staff.
Many teachers have already left. I don't now the exact numbers but then neither does anyone. It's possible that when the schools do re-open, there will still be enough work for those that have remained due to the shortage of teachers. Even if many teachers end up working for two or more schools on a part time basis each.

I'm just saying it's possible. Nobody has any clue how long things will remain the way they are or what it will look like when things re-open.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

$500 month perfectly doable in Cambodia , especially considering most of the fun things are shut. Try living on that in the West! Wouldn't even pay for a basic hostel, let alone food!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You'd need to rent a place that's no more than $100-150 and be VERY cheap. Not a very interesting prospect.
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:21 am
Electric Earth wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:47 am If need be you can live OK for ~four months on a couple thousand.
That's $500 a month. Many bargirls can't even live on that.
Why not? Where do they think they live? In Geneva?
It's those chronically addicted to something who can't live on $500 a month.
That or those who live beyond their means.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

numacsys wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:27 pm
TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:21 am
Electric Earth wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:47 am If need be you can live OK for ~four months on a couple thousand.
That's $500 a month. Many bargirls can't even live on that.
Why not? Where do they think they live? In Geneva?
It's those chronically addicted to something who can't live on $500 a month.
That or those who live beyond their means.
from my undestanding, many bar girls live above the bar or close by in groups of a few. A friend told me that...lol
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic