Why are people saying Cambodia isn’t cheap anymore?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why are people saying Cambodia isn’t cheap anymore?

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:31 pm what has gotten cheaper than before in the past 15 years? Nothing i can recall
Gasoline, internet, electricity... but not much else.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Some things have stayed the same for years.

Bananas , pineapples , mangoes [ in season ]. and large bottles of water still $ 1.
Last edited by Duncan on Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

whats gas there now?
daughter says its down ot $2.05 in northern Ca
here in phuket 22.4/lt ($.68)

Electric is $.11/kwh

My internet truly has gone down now from when i was paying almost $80 for shit
Now its 550 baht $17/200 up and down :thumb:

i heard the $.50 beers went up to $.75.. it that true> :plus1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Its plenty cheap for me. So is Thailand. So is the USA. Europe is a little spendy, but maybe because I dont see it as a good value.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I am really surprised that everybody is only talking about costs of living and not the other end: disposable income to cover theses costs."Cheap" is always relative to what you earn. If I follow the arguments it would make Switzerland the most shitty country to live in if costs of living are the only measure. Who cares if a beer costs 5$ when the average salary is high enough to easily laugh it off?

Its much more difficult to make 1000 dollars (and not be able to make ANY savings) a month in Cambodia than earn 8000 in Switzerland (and save more than 1000 a month). And dont forget that the 7000 spent in Switzerland is all in prime goods and service. Not so in Cambodia. So its all relative.

At the end its all summed up in quality of life Index where costs are only one criteria. We all have different lifestyle and different needs. Pussy and beer price seems to be a very strong point with many expats who decide to move to Cambodia. If it is the only two criteria applied to where you want to live you are a looser in my eyes and probably the reason why you cant get a decent woman in an "expensive" country.
work is for people who cant find truffles
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

truffledog wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:16 pm decent woman in an "expensive" country.
What’s that?
Good luck trying to have a 20-25yo woman for a companion in a western country unless you are very rich or famous and then she will probably sue you when she feels like.

On the other hand, as this economic crisis unfolds and people go back to basics, the situation with female companions in western countries could improve. There are always silver linings of sorts.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:25 pm
What’s that?
Good luck trying to have a 20-25yo woman for a companion in a western country unless you are very rich or famous and then she will probably sue you when she feels like.
Its not a problem if you are in the age range of +/- 10 years and average looking guy. You dont need money only as the ladies here are self sufficient and want a partner who is reliable, trustworthy and makes them laugh. If you are out of that age range money will be more important to get a young chick. I dont think that a young khmer woman "loves" an 20 years+ "older" barang just because he is funny. Money and a safe future for her and her family is probably the most important glue when it comes to a partnership of a old fat and ugly foreigner and a lovely young Khmer woman.

And for the sueing part...no need to marry at any time to avoid any future hassle in the expensive world. Its not mandatory to do so. But if you dont marry your young khmer woman aftre some years (or even less) she will eventually lose face in her community.
work is for people who cant find truffles
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

truffledog wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:55 pm
What’s that?
Its not a problem if you are in the age range of +/- 10 years and average looking guy. You dont need money only as the ladies here are self sufficient and want a partner who is reliable, trustworthy and makes them laugh. If you are out of that age range money will be more important to get a young chick. I dont think that a young khmer woman "loves" an 20 years+ "older" barang just because he is funny. Money and a safe future for her and her family is probably the most important glue when it comes to a partnership of a old fat and ugly foreigner and a lovely young Khmer woman.

And for the sueing part...no need to marry at any time to avoid any future hassle in the expensive world. Its not mandatory to do so. But if you dont marry your young khmer woman aftre some years (or even less) she will eventually lose face in her community.
Love, sweet notion. You are a romantic young man.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

CryptoAddict_ wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:02 pm My point is quality of life + cost of living is far better in Asia, period. And no one can argue that
I think many of us worked that out years ago and that's why we're here. One thing I have noticed is that many expats discuss prices as if inflation is a concept that isn't expected to apply to Asia.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
CryptoAddict_
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CryptoAddict_ »

truffledog wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:16 pm decent woman in an "expensive" country.
What’s that?

On the other hand, as this economic crisis unfolds and people go back to basics, the situation with female companions in western countries could improve. There are always silver linings of sorts.
Bingo. Most boomers on this site are outdated but this guy gets it. All these posts bitching about the little things but they forgot all the financial risks in courting a western woman
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic