Is 12 Too Young to Be Driving A Car ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Is 12 Too Young to Be Driving A Car ?

Post by Ryan754326 »

Twelve is much too young to be driving a car in a town full of people and other vehicles, but if this happened on some isolated country road, traveling between two villages, I wouldn’t think it was such a big deal.
My Dad tells me stories about my Grandpa letting him take the car to hockey practice at around that age, because Grandpa didn’t want to get out of bed so early, and in those days (1970s) it was seen as good clean fun for a group of kids to buy an old beat up car, take it out on the logging roads, and drive it until it was dead. The kids likely would have been carrying their .22s with them as well, just in case they saw a grouse or a squirrel. The new generation has gotten pretty soft.
The problem obviously arises when the kid crashes into something, or worse, someone. I don’t know how the laws work in Cambodia concerning that kind of situation. I’d think the kid’s family would be screwed if he ran someone over, and the victim’s family would obviously have every right to be furious, and demand a large compensation.
How does it work if an adult with no driver’s license or insurance crashes and kills someone? As others have stated here, the adults don’t drive so well either.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is 12 Too Young to Be Driving A Car ?

Post by glennb6 »

the irony is that if the kid's dad is a driver, presumably a professional, that he taught his son how to drive properly. that fact in itself probably makes the kid more skilled than many adults. I'm projecting this to the thais on the road where I am.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic