Why did you decide to stay in the Kingdom of Wonder?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Why did you decide to stay in the Kingdom of Wonder?

Post by WineOxley »

Greetings to all

Barstool philosophers, alcoholics, do-gooders, partners of social workers, english teachers, wanderlust backpackers or retirees on a pension in search of the good life on a pittance.

What are the reasons you chose to reside in the Kingdom of Wonder?

:stir: :beer1:
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why did you decide to stay in the Kingdom of Wonder?

Post by BR549 »

For me....it was the Khmer people and how they treated me the day I arrived...
It was the combination of Buddhism and Hinduism.
It wasn't Thailand.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I only stayed cause I knew that one day someone would ask me why I decided to stay in Cambodia . And I was right , about one thousand times.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I did a tour of SE Asia 20 years ago and liked Cambodia so I moved here a few years later.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I came to find a woman who moved here from Los Angeles in 1984. I haven’t found her yet, but appreciate any leads.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I like the people, the weather, beer prices and a freedom to go and do mostly whatever I want to do or see. I enjoy my life here.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Cuz:

Don't forget the water buffalo
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Work (well....money.)

Facing work visa restrictions in Indonesia (previously up to 5 foreign visa per company, then 3, then only 1)
I followed a friend advice to come to Cambodia to come at his place in PP to search for new employment. Also, it was Cambodia because i wanted a French school for my son.
In 3 weeks i found a 2000$ job that lasted 8 months, which allowed me to save enough so i could go back 6 months later to pickup my wife and son, sell everything that wouldn't fit in a suitcase, and bring them to Siem Reap where my mission was located.

Yeah, i had to leave my family for 6 months. Wasn't easy, but for the best.

I / we stayed 3 years because the following salaries were even higher, and then we moved to France because it was the next best option for my kid.
Also, Kow has a few cons that makes it ok for a while but not on long term for a multicultural family looking for a peaceful life with a good access to culture, nature, healthcare, and a few others things of value.

The good thing was weed though. Cheap and good enough (the upper kind).
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Because I wanted to find out without a shadow of a doubt if you pronounce it Khmer or Khmer
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

I have acres of ruins to take pics of and weed is cheap. Visas are cheap and easy. Everything I need, in fact, is cheap. Plus Bangkok is an hour away whenever I need to wallow in a filthy steaming cauldron brimming with the foul slime of my perverted lust or go shopping for overpriced shit I dont need.

So whats not to like?

I wish Thailand would clean up its act, I do miss Wats and shrines, as well as gods in every golden oyster. But, I reckon rents will be dropping there :)
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic