Why did you decide to stay in the Kingdom of Wonder?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Why did you decide to stay in the Kingdom of Wonder?

Post by rexwell »

I came for the cheap beer, weed and Valium and stayed for the pussy. Or was it the other way around? I got a job within 2 weeks of living here and have been working continuously for the past 13 years. The pussy, weed and Valium have long since fallen by the wayside, but I still have my cheap beer. I also love the easy going Khmer people, warm climate, and the chaos of the traffic.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

$10 hookers and $0.50 beers, baby.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i moved over in 2008 and got a place on the ONLY river in the world that changes directions every year
left after a year as realized living in Cambodia was not worth it.....LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

I'm seriously looking at it because I'm tired of the xenophobia in Thailand. The place seems to be getting worse and worse in just about every way. Not a happy place since General Nutjob took over. The annual visa renewal is a real lesson in bureaucratic madness.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

more bang for my buck.
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase: Years ago I once saw a uniformed cop pass a chunky joint to another cop .That and that weed was nearly everywhere & could even be purchased in many markets made me feel right at home. However ,l have witnessed many expats lose the plot & their standards/morals so only live here for half a year. As well as the constant scams& rip- offs make it a part time situation.
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

MarkRobinson wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:51 pm :dragonchase: Years ago I once saw a uniformed cop pass a chunky joint to another cop .That and that weed was nearly everywhere & could even be purchased in many markets made me feel right at home. However ,l have witnessed many expats lose the plot & their standards/morals so only live here for half a year. As well as the constant scams& rip- offs make it a part time situation.

:facepalm:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

The opportunity to participate in an economy still at the very early stages of development. I got to Thailand in 1999 and had already mostly missed the boat. It was an obvious move.

Still, this lockdown here in Thailand has me really stuck. Wish they would restart travel between the countries so I can get back there. Family is here in Thailand and can't get back to the KOW until I have the ability to come and go as I used to. Hope this is just a temporary blip and not the new normal.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

monomial wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 pm The opportunity to participate in an economy still at the very early stages of development. I got to Thailand in 1999 and had already mostly missed the boat. It was an obvious move.

Still, this lockdown here in Thailand has me really stuck. Wish they would restart travel between the countries so I can get back there. Family is here in Thailand and can't get back to the KOW until I have the ability to come and go as I used to. Hope this is just a temporary blip and not the new normal.
even when this is all under control, dont expect the borders in SE aisa to open any time soon;
The "Announcement Regarding the Areas Outside the Kingdom Which Are Considered Dangerous Communicable Disease Areas for COVID-19” is in effect from 23 April 2020 onwards, after it was published in the Royal Gazette on 22 April 2020.

In this announcement, the five countries include Malaysia, the Kingdom of Cambodia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, the Republic of Indonesia, and the Republic of the Union of Myanmar.
The announcement makes the re-opening of borders with the neighbouring countries for trade and travel unlikely in the short-term. It would also make a resumption of flights to and from these countries unlikely to begin again soon.
So if Vietnam follows this and u will have Cambodia locked off in trading with its 2 neighbors for awhile>
what will this mean to you all?
i see increased prices for everything
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:29 pm So if Vietnam follows this and u will have Cambodia locked off in trading with its 2 neighbors for awhile>
what will this mean to you all?
i see increased prices for everything
Given that you can't even send mail from Thailand to Cambodia right now (there is no treaty for surface mail despite the countries being only a barrel roll apart) I would agree with you. You could easily maintain a 2 meter separation and still deliver mail. But they aren't.

As there is no way for small traders to send across the border, the major traders are going to raise their prices substantially in order to compensate for increased documentation and clearance fees.

This over reaction to a virus, that appears to be asymptomatic in most people and barely worse than the flu in most others, is extremely frustrating. How can all this possibly be worth it? I saw a study once that road deaths can be reduced arbitrarily close to zero if traffic flow is limited to a maximum of 10 kph. And yet we have built our entire economy accepting this risk of road death (which is much higher than Covid-19 BTW) as necessary. You don't see any country in the world with national speed limits of 10 kph as absolutely essential to save lives. Why then, can we not simply accept that a small risk of death from this virus belongs in a similar category?

Anyway, I apologize. Not the thread for this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic