NZ, Australia - into winter with Covid-19

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

NZ, Australia - into winter with Covid-19

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I thought it was worth a seperate thread.
We are heading into winter, when most of the West will have improving conditions.

It could be long difficiult one. The virus could take off, we have not experienced that yet.
Our lockdowns /shutdowns may be longer than most.
Our travel bans are probably going to be amongst the strictest and most longstanding.
Travelling between Cambodia and Oz/NZ is off totally off the menu, at least for most of this year.

On the other hand, grimace, interesting times ahead.
Our current restrictive regimes, high number of tests, good case tracking, combined with the relatively very low infection and death rates at present, should provide some really good information on what works best - any outbreaks will be easily understood.

PS, NZ is pushing for a Bledisloe Cup exception to the travelling bans - you Aussies are are up for that too, eh Bro'.
(chortle)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: NZ, Australia - into winter with Cv-19

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:07 pm I thought it was worth a seperate thread.
We are heading into winter, when most of the West will have improving conditions.

It could be long difficiult one. The virus could take off, we have not experienced that yet.
Our lockdowns /shutdowns may be longer than most.
Our travel bans are probably going to be amongst the strictest and most longstanding.
Travelling between Cambodia and Oz/NZ is off totally off the menu, at least for most of this year.

On the other hand, grimace, interesting times ahead.
Our current restrictive regimes, high number of tests, good case tracking, combined with the relatively very low infection and death rates at present, should provide some really good information on what works best - any outbreaks will be easily understood.

PS, NZ is pushing for a Bledisloe Cup exception to the travelling bans - you Aussies are are up for that too, eh Bro'.
(chortle)

Probably the best part of being a Kiwi-Roo with one foot on each side of the ditch is no matter who wins or looses you are always a winner.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Apart from the cruise ship fiasco releasing infected people into the community, I'm quite pleased with the way our government and general public on the whole have reacted to events. Let's hope with a flattening of the curve, or falling rate of infection, Australian governments don't become lackadaisical or cocky by loosening restrictions too soon with flu season at our door. It doesn't take much for a couple of spot fires to reignite an inferno, as we know.

The travel restrictions affect me more than anything, I can't remember the last time I spent a whole year living in Australia without respite, it must be decades. I'm thinking of buying a recumbent trike and spending the rest of the year engaged in a solo ride through the outback and across the nullabour for giggles when regional borders have opened. Winter camping in the bush with panniers full of food and spares sounds like a remedy.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Early reports said the weather shouldn't effect the spread of COVID-19... Let's hope those early reports were correct.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I can't imagine Aussies remaining at home for more than three months straight. It's just not possible. LOL.

As I've been saying this for a while about this virus (and other) stuff: the level of noise and reality of a situation are inversely proportional.

I don't know this author, although she's a professor of German lit, but she writes a pretty convincing open letter to NZ MPs, quoting many professional medical sources. I'm kind favouring her view. After all, a public health chief's aim is to keep their job and shout from the rooftops.

https://stovouno.org/2020/04/10/open-le ... ous-error/

Hold tight. :D
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 pm I can't imagine Aussies remaining at home for more than three months straight. It's just not possible. LOL.
Yeah I stopped going to the pub in early march, whilst this temporary sobriety is a healthy change, being stuck in Sydney is driving me a little crazy... I just want to head down to Albury n Wagga to see friends n family...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 pm I can't imagine Aussies remaining at home for more than three months straight. It's just not possible. LOL.

As I've been saying this for a while about this virus (and other) stuff: the level of noise and reality of a situation are inversely proportional.

I don't know this author, although she's a professor of German lit, but she writes a pretty convincing open letter to NZ MPs, quoting many professional medical sources. I'm kind favouring her view. After all, a public health chief's aim is to keep their job and shout from the rooftops.

https://stovouno.org/2020/04/10/open-le ... ous-error/

And get a grip. LOL.
If you check out the stovouno website, you'll see that they are a site advancing opinions with no scientific or acredited medical back-up, who say that coronavirus is unimportant, just a common cold so get over it, that protection against coronavirus is unimportant, and they also say that climate change is false news.

I can't be bothered to investigate further, but with a brief look, the site really looks like it's one of the many weirdo blog-sites that people mistake for news, and I can't see any reason to treat their texts as information.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 pm I don't know this author, although she's a professor of German lit,
open-letter-to-mps-the-lockdown-is-a-disastrous-error

Barbara McKenzie
I might read her book exploring the hidden messages in Frank Kafka's writings
with about as much interest as this one-sided hystericalists rave.

A full on neo-liberalist. "Do anytang you want - It's Your Right!"
AR-15? Sure! - who give a flying flock what the vast majority of New Zealanders think - It's You're Frigging Right!
That kinda gal.

She seems to revel in going against what everybody else thinks - her book/Phd thesis >>
This work explores an original interpretation of Franz Kafka's novel, Der Process (The Trial), which argues that the novel is in the form of a series of dreams, dreamt by a man who has been stricken with a serious illness. The thesis presents detailed evidence to show that the novel is intended to be a transcript of the dreams of the protagonist, Josef K., and that K. is suffering from tuberculosis, a fact which both gives rise to and shapes his dreams. The thesis also discusses the special role of art, literature and colour, which have a notable effect on the way the illness manifests itself in the dreams. In arguing this interpretation the author explodes a number of myths about the novel, not least that the world of Josef K., rather than being dreary and monochrome, is full of beauty and colour.

Kafka?? beauty and colour?? in her dreams..
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

crob wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:07 pm
Yeah I stopped going to the pub in early march, whilst this temporary sobriety is a healthy change, being stuck in Sydney is driving me a little crazy... I just want to head down to Albury n Wagga to see friends n family...
If they move the entire population down to Melbourne, they'll be more than happy to stay indoors for 3 months. Put some old sport replays on telly and Bob's your uncle. :thumb:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

What about a few of us getting together and sailing back to Cambodia , not sure if I'd look forward to weeks of sea sickness though
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic