NZ, Australia - into winter with Covid-19

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: NZ, Australia - into winter with Cv-19

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

As conservatives, this government proved to be highly talented in controlling the pandemic, And managing the economy.
They are good at that kind of controlling stuff. It's in their blood.

But, as conservatives, they lack the creative imagination to actually make the world a better place to live in.

:D
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

International airlines may be forced to suspend flights to Australia after arrival cap halved
Sun 4 Jul 2021 09.36 BST

International airlines claim they could be forced to suspend services to Australia from next week after national cabinet agreed to halve the number of people allowed to enter the country – and they say any suggestion of price gouging is “insulting and bizarre”.

From 14 July, overseas arrivals will be slashed from 6,070 to 3,035 a week – crushing the hopes of thousands of Australians stuck overseas and looking to get home.

Barry Abrams, the executive director of the Board of Airline Representatives of Australia, said on Sunday he sympathised with those caught overseas. But he said airlines still flying to Australia and struggling to break even would face tough choices.

“It is going to be a very difficult situation for many airlines to maintain their frequency of flights to Australia,” Abrams said.
“Many will be asking whether or not it makes more sense to suspend their passenger flights or just run cargo flights. I wouldn’t see it as cutting Australia off [but] I would see reduced connectivity and availability of flights to and from Australia.”

The price of a flight is based on its length, the number of passengers and the capacity for air freight, with the direct cost of a flight running at $10,000 an hour, Abrams said.

If an airline did stop operating he expects the government would reallocate seats under the new cap to other airlines that continue to fly to Australia. But with no details provided to the industry, there were many unknowns regarding how the change would be handled, Abrams said.

Abrams said the airline industry had not been consulted before Friday’s announcement.

The news was followed by an outpouring of anger and dismay in online community groups for Australians stranded overseas.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... cap-halved
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Delta has gotten loose.
Not yet as big as some previous outbreaks but growing faster.
77 new cases in Sydney today.
A city-wide fairly slack lockdown. Exercise outside, going to work, shopping for designer handbags - all ok.

This is really going to test Australia's previously highly successful containment strategy.
At least it has put a rocket up the bum of vaccine complacency here.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

so happy I got the f*** out of there!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:18 pm Delta has gotten loose.
Not yet as big as some previous outbreaks but growing faster.
77 new cases in Sydney today.
A city-wide fairly slack lockdown. Exercise outside, going to work, shopping for designer handbags - all ok.

This is really going to test Australia's previously highly successful containment strategy.
At least it has put a rocket up the bum of vaccine complacency here.
As I've said before Australia is going to have to realise that unless they stop ALL arrivals, it's going to be in the community and people will tire of the endless lockdowns and restrictions.

And why are people complacent about taking the vaccine? Well, I can think of 2 key reasons:

1. the gov't has sold them a policy of zero covid tolerance and total eradication. And that has been largely successful (at a cost to society) up till now but with the Delta variant, I fear they will not be able to contain it...despite halving the returning aussies arrivals cap.

2. they've scared the sh*t out of people with the AZ vaccine blood clot issues. While the UK said it was OK for people over 40, the Aussie medical experts had to go one up on their counterparts and say only for over 50, then later revise that to over 60. And now the gov't coz of political pragmatic imperative have overturned it and ignored medical advice completely, saying people of any age can get it. And now of course confused many people including some GP's and left many suspicious I'd say.

My brother lives in a city where they have no covid and is in no hurry to get vaccinated coz he said: 'there's no covid here. And until they lift border/quarantine restrictions for travel overseas, I see no point getting one and if I do, I'll wait for the Phizer one'.

So an example of the 'fortress Australia' policy has trained many of it's subjects to think they don't need to vaccinate. An unintended consequence of it's previous success with border restrictions. And perhaps an unfortunate decision to put most of its eggs in the AZ basket.

But these latest outbreaks if they can't be controlled will belatedly have people rethink getting vaccinated and the gov't realise the damage the lockdowns and restrictions are doing to the country in the longer term.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

A recent protester..

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:54 pm A recent protester..

There’s room there to add Unsavoury
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:05 pm
1. the gov't has sold them a policy of zero covid tolerance and total eradication. And that has been largely successful (at a cost to society) up till now but with the Delta variant, I fear they will not be able to contain it...despite halving the returning aussies arrivals cap.
Yeah, its very frustrating because we now have a loud whiny group in the community that are declaring we need to chase covid zero at all cost, what isn't possible in the long term, especially with the Delta strain, plus eventually we need to open the borders.

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:05 pm
2. they've scared the sh*t out of people with the AZ vaccine blood clot issues. While the UK said it was OK for people over 40, the Aussie medical experts had to go one up on their counterparts and say only for over 50, then later revise that to over 60. And now the gov't coz of political pragmatic imperative have overturned it and ignored medical advice completely, saying people of any age can get it. And now of course confused many people including some GP's and left many suspicious I'd say.
yeah, we are gong to have a lot 40+ year olds die in the coming weeks because they were picky about waiting for Pfizer, also means the under 40s are going to be pushed further back in line most likely waiting till October to get Pfizer, or take on the blood clot risk of AZ.... on the plus side it will mean Sydney will be vaccinated first, and i feel like we will open the international border before other states as we are going to be forced to learn to live with the virus.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

In Australia, more people have died after being vaccinated than have died from/with covid.

From: Department of Health | Therapeutic Goods Administration
In the week of 12-18 July 2021 we received 1,177 AEFI (adverse events following immunisation) reports for COVID-19 vaccines.

Large scale vaccination means that coincidentally some people will experience a new illness or die shortly after vaccination.

The TGA has received and reviewed 399 reports of deaths in people who have recently been vaccinated.

Total AEFI reports received: 41,406

https://www.tga.gov.au/periodic/covid-1 ... 22-07-2021
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic