NZ, Australia - into winter with Covid-19

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: NZ, Australia - into winter with Cv-19

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:13 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:21 pm NSW Australia/ NZ:
24 June 2021
Late on Thursday, Victoria said it was shutting its borders to residents of Greater Sydney, the Central Coast, Shellharbour, Blue Mountains and Wollongong after the state recorded a positive infection linked to the NSW cluster.

Absolute insanity

Sympathy to those affected by the idiots in charge
The issue is exacerbated I think by the fact that individual states and territories (8 of them) are in charge of their own respective borders incl health, police services etc and are making their own (selfish imo) decisions as to who they will let in or not. It doesn't help that each state has it's own political persuasion (ie Liberal or Labor) and their own ideas about how things should be managed. Some want dedicated quarantine centres built in their state, others don't.

The federal government has left the states to their own devices and unless they changed the constitution, cannot or won't intervene. You'd think the feds would bring the premiers together and agree on a national approach but AFAIK that hasn't happened or they just can't agree. So you've got the PM yesterday saying that vaccinated Australians should be able to freely travel within Australia but he doesn't have control of that. It's ludicrous in my mind as it seems like there are like 8 separate countries within one. And Australians can't return to Australia except under certain quota conditions and must seek Ministerial approval to leave the country.

So there was this news article today where they surveyed federal coalition backbenchers as to what their views are:

Coalition MPs push for home quarantine for vaccinated Australian travellers https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politi ... 584bm.html

Whilst some are pushing for opening up, others are worried about the risks and compliance with home quarantine...and so it goes on..
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

An opinion piece, but thought provoking I thought..

Stop this human sacrifice: the case against lockdowns

Sydney has now plunged into the darkness that Victoria has known on and off for months. The word “lockdown” seems to have gone out of favour, perhaps a signal that counter-narratives are gaining traction, but the policies enacted by NSW’s political leadership quack and walk just like the shelter-in-place orders colloquially termed “lockdowns” that have been issued around the world for over a year.

These policies have enormous human costs, and NSW has had more than a year to realise that fact and factor it into decision-making.

Last August, I produced a draft cost-benefit analysis for the Victorian Parliament as a demonstration of how such an exercise should be conducted. Costs of locking down must be weighed against the projected benefits, with nothing ever known for certain but best guesses made in the wide range of areas directly affected by lockdown policies.

These costs include the loss of happiness due to loneliness from social isolation, the crowded-out healthcare for problems other than COVID, the long-term costs to our children and university students of disrupting their education, and the economic losses that have shuttered businesses, damaged whole sectors, increased inequality, and will depress our spending on everything from roads to hospitals for years to come. Deaths from causes other than COVID may well result.

[This is quite a statement:]

What is going on here is not the fight of our lives against a fearsome pestilence. It is politicians willingly sacrificing their people’s welfare, hoping the people see their actions as a sufficient offering. It’s the modern analogue of killing virgins in the hope of getting a good harvest. We need to stop this madness. Right now, we need to focus our attention and protection on the people in our population who are actually vulnerable to serious effects of this virus. We need to buy medicines and establish treatment protocols that work to reduce the severity of COVID symptoms, while offering vaccinations to anyone in vulnerable groups who wants them – with no compulsion, and no tethering of population vaccination rates to border openings.

Full: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 584o7.html
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

lol
Brave!

Keeping on nitpickinking about Australia's Covid response - by far and away demonstrably the world's most successful (along with NZ)

Warning Warning !!
:director: Hilarious experts at work

:D :D :D
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

NZ, Australia - into winter with Cv-19

Post by jah steu »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:lol
Brave!

Keeping on nitpickinking about Australia's Covid response - by far and away demonstrably the world's most successful (along with NZ)
I assume you are joking. Basing a highly infectious virus strategy on maintaining a permanent zero case scenario is unsustainable. From a practical, economical, and human point of view.
There will always be some cases. The only way to reduce the cases to an acceptable level, minimise the death rate and get back to some semblance of normality is through mass vaccination. And Australia has failed miserably at implementing a rapid massive vaccination program.
So they will continue through the lockdown/easing restrictions cycle until well into next year. With all the human and economical costs detailed in earlier posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Got a better model, Jah?

Where?

oh the human costs of a repeatedly proven, effective, short, targeted, very loose lockdown
i think i'll go and suicide ....

lol

nb nb
June 29

:director: One Covid19 death in Australia - this year.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Now the AstraZeneca vaccine is available to ALL adults..

Before that: only for over 60s due to blood clot concerns

Before before that: only for over 50s due to blood clot concerns

Why: Australia's rollout is moving way too slowly. Less than five per cent of the population are vaccinated.

Seems the gov't are prepared to compromise their previously held principles for the sake of urgency of rollout.

Full: https://www.9news.com.au/national/coron ... bda6908609
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

It is a straight out maths calculation ^^ Clutch

With very little Covid circulating, the risks of blood clotting from AZ were greater than serious complications from catching Covid.
Now that the Delta variant is spreading quite rapidly - the calculation changes.

I totally agree about the slowness of the vaccination roll out tho.
- a combination of government slackness by relying on AstraZenica primarily (more Pfitzer has now been secured for late this year)
plus, complacency by the pop because transmission/circulation was so rare. (that is changing now)
plus, "Rolls Royce envy" ie, everybody now wants Pfitzer only.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:00 am It is a straight out maths calculation ^^ Clutch

With very little Covid circulating, the risks of blood clotting from AZ were greater than serious complications from catching Covid.
Now that the Delta variant is spreading quite rapidly - the calculation changes.

I totally agree about the slowness of the vaccination roll out tho.
- a combination of government slackness by relying on AstraZenica primarily (more Pfitzer has now been secured for late this year)
plus, complacency by the pop because transmission/circulation was so rare. (that is changing now)
plus, "Rolls Royce envy" ie, everybody now wants Pfitzer only.
Well, it seems many GPs are confused about the turnaround in policy and Australia's top medical body, the Australian Medical Association (AMA) refuse to endorse the PM's announcement for the use of the AZ vaccine for under 60 yr olds.

As I hinted in my earlier post, this is a pragmatic policy change imo coz the gov't is on the nose for the slow vaccine rollout.

Full: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... id-vaccine
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:46 pm Got a better model, Jah?

Where?

oh the human costs of a repeatedly proven, effective, short, targeted, very loose lockdown
i think i'll go and suicide ....

lol

nb nb
June 29

:director: One Covid19 death in Australia - this year.
Some things just can not be avoided. It's just like the Spanish flu, Australia was the last one to ride it out because they 'isolated'. But isolation was impossible then and for sure is impossible now. This one has to be ridden out as well. Lockdown after lockdown is simply not sustainable in the long term.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic