NZ, Australia - into winter with Covid-19

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: NZ, Australia - into winter with Cv-19

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"Australians Have Bought the Health System Time - Here's the Payoff"

A bit of slick PR job - but still basically quite true

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-14/ ... 40878?nw=0
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

atst wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:22 pm What about a few of us getting together and sailing back to Cambodia , not sure if I'd look forward to weeks of sea sickness though
After what happened on the cruise ships? you must have a death wish. The reality is that it will not be safe to fly or cruise until we have a vaccine, sadly
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:40 am "Australians Have Bought the Health System Time - Here's the Payoff"

I normally like the ABC, but the formating of that was horrible
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

crob wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:53 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:40 am "Australians Have Bought the Health System Time - Here's the Payoff"

Call a doctor! I think I just got carpal tunnel syndrome from all that scrolling.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:41 am
crob wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:53 am

Call a doctor! I think I just got carpal tunnel syndrome from all that scrolling.
Hell yeah. I stopped after scrolling 3 km. Some websites are doing this crap, but this ABC site is the worst, one short paragraph per screen scroll. No thanks.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:11 pm
Hold tight. :D
And get a grip. LOL.
If you check out the stovouno website, you'll see that they are a site advancing opinions with no scientific or acredited medical back-up, who say that coronavirus is unimportant, just a common cold so get over it, that protection against coronavirus is unimportant, and they also say that climate change is false news.

I can't be bothered to investigate further, but with a brief look, the site really looks like it's one of the many weirdo blog-sites that people mistake for news, and I can't see any reason to treat their texts as information.
Say what you want about the source of the article itself, but the article cites many reputable sources for its information, including Oxford University, and the WHO, among others.
As the days go by, it’s becoming more and more apparent that the official statistics we were given in the beginning were incomplete or exaggerated. We still have no idea how many millions have actually contracted this virus and suffered mild symptoms, or none at all. Knowing this number will significantly reduce the case fatality rate, quite possibly into the same range as the regular seasonal flu, which, by the way, still has Covid19 beat in terms of fatalities for the year (at least by estimations, since we have accepted flu as a fact of life, and don’t bother testing for it in most cases).
The mainstream media seems to be omitting any figures that would give any perspective as to how dangerous this virus is compared to other diseases that we deal with on a regular basis. They also seem to have convinced most of the public that their risk of dying is equally as high, whether they are young and healthy, or already hospitalized with pre-existing conditions. The facts, which are readily available for anyone who can be bothered to look for them, clearly show that the vast majority of people dying from Covid19 are elderly, and already at high risk of dying, should they contract any sort of respiratory infection. Of course there will be outliers, and the media is doing a great job of making those cases especially well known to the public, but they are a tiny fraction of the total. Tragic, unexpected deaths among otherwise healthy people happen every year, as a result of seasonal flu and many other ailments.
In my opinion, the saddest, and strangest part of all of this, is how something as universally human as an infectious virus has been politicized, with many people already having decided which side of the aisle they stand on, and refusing to even look at any information being presented by the other.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

You should make your own mad max videos and embrace the moment together..
Cheers mates...
I love the idea of going on a walkabout and finding your inner Aussie spirit..sounds great actually..
Certainly you Kiwis have one of the most beautiful countries in the world to wander around...
If you want to go Thor Heyerdahl and make your way back to Cambodia..GO FOR IT!!!
Sail up Tonle Mekong to Tonle Sap and on to Siem Reap and I will buy you a fucking beer..
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

pczz wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:43 am
atst wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:22 pm What about a few of us getting together and sailing back to Cambodia , not sure if I'd look forward to weeks of sea sickness though
After what happened on the cruise ships? you must have a death wish. The reality is that it will not be safe to fly or cruise until we have a vaccine, sadly
Sailing with a few people is not cruise shipping :please:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ryan754326 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:51 am
In my opinion, the saddest, and strangest part of all of this, is how something as universally human as an infectious virus has been politicized, with many people already having decided which side of the aisle they stand on, and refusing to even look at any information being presented by the other.
I agree with you there, and that's exactly why I don't have any confidence in your (politicized) source.

Where I don't agree with you, is your equivalence coronavirus= seasonal flu. Doctors and nurses and health carers do not usually die of the flu. One of the reasons for this is because there is a vaccine. Health workers are dying because there is no vaccine for COVID-19 (yet).
For me, one of the saddest and strangest part of all this, is that some people are not considering the lives of health workers when they advance theories that put other people's lives on the line.

Edit - off topic. Sorry about that, Kiwis and Aussies. You've only got one thread and have to share it already.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:25 pm I agree with you there, and that's exactly why I don't have any confidence in your (politicized) source.

Where I don't agree with you, is your equivalence coronavirus= seasonal flu. Doctors and nurses and health carers do not usually die of the flu. One of the reasons for this is because there is a vaccine. Health workers are dying because there is no vaccine for COVID-19 (yet).
For me, one of the saddest and strangest part of all this, is that some people are not considering the lives of health workers when they advance theories that put other people's lives on the line.
I’ll agree with you that the source of that article (which wasn’t posted by me) is certainly politicized, however, I don’t see any reason to doubt that most of the studies cited from other sources within that article are based in fact. Unfortunately, with today’s biased media, those who have an opinion that goes against the grain have little choice but to publish their evidence on websites that have been written off by government, other media, and a large portion of the general public as being “right wing” or even conspiracy sites. I don’t consider myself “right wing” or a conspiracy theorist, and I don’t like to get my information from those kinds of sites either, but for now, the “right wing” sites seem to be the ones who are willing to publish the other half of the story, and give a platform to the many accomplished scientists who are saying that we may be taking the wrong approach.
To be clear, I’m not saying that Covid19 is the same as the seasonal flu, and I’m especially not saying that it is less dangerous, or that it is some kind of hoax that should be ignored. I’m just pointing out that there is plenty of information available, backed up by studies, that goes against the doomsday predictions and commonly reported fatality rates that we are hearing from the big news networks (some who have been found exaggerating, or even falsifying their reports).

You’re correct that this is a new disease, and that some healthcare workers have died from it because we don’t yet have immunity, but unfortunately the only way to stop that from happening completely, is to stop admitting sick people into hospitals and treating them. Unless we choose to lock up the sick people, alone, and leave them to die until we have an effective vaccine, then healthcare workers will be forced with the difficult choice of whether or not to risk their lives helping people until that vaccine comes. I acknowledge that less cases make for a lighter work load, and that is a good thing, but in the end, one sick person is enough to infect another who is working in close proximity to them. Unfortunately, the medical profession is not without serious risks to those who practice it.
I can’t give you sources, because it isn’t generally reported, but I’d be willing to bet that healthcare workers around the world are regularly infected by familiar diseases while on the job, and subsequently, some of them have died as a result. I’m also confident that if it were the big story of the week, the media could dig up plenty of those cases and report on them, but they normally don’t bother.
A vaccine isn’t guaranteed be a permanent solution, and hiding in our closets for a year or more, waiting for it to arrive, doesn’t seem like a realistic strategy to me.
There have been vaccines in progress, in the past, that were abandoned as researchers realized that enough of the population had already been infected, and had acquired immunity (just an example of another possibility). I also don’t understand the popular line of thinking, that a vaccine will be a guaranteed cure, yet getting the disease and recovering wouldn’t create an sufficient level of immunity, as it does with similar viruses. I’m not a virologist, so maybe someone can inform me.

Again, I’m not trying to play this down, or spread one side of the story rather than the other. I’m just pointing out what I see, which is that mainstream media is pushing the worst case scenario version of the story, and leaving out most of the more optimistic science. I believe that this approach is spreading unnecessary fear, and possibly leading us down a path that we may regret in the near future.
As we should expect, politicians are covering their asses, and know that if they do too little, they will be held accountable, while if they do too much, and the economy is destroyed in the process, they can always point to what could have happened, but didn’t, as a justification.

To all the readers here, I hope my posts aren’t becoming too long-winded or incoherent. I’m just a guy, stuck in a hotel room, trying to put my thoughts out there, in the hope that that others will hit back with some questions that force me to broaden my knowledge and opinions on the topic.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic