AirAsia: a personal message from Tony

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

AirAsia: a personal message from Tony

Post by Clutch Cargo »

An email recently received.

When Kamarudin and I started AirAsia nearly 20 years ago, we had a dream of allowing everyone the opportunity to fly. Sadly, that opportunity has now been taken away from us for now.

It’s an uncertain time. Never could I have imagined it, no one could have predicted it and yet everyone has been touched by it. So I want to be open and transparent with you in this time of uncertainty.

There’s no denying that our industry has been hit hard, and we are no exception. This is possibly the biggest challenge we have ever had to face. We have no revenue coming in, 96% of our fleet is grounded and we still have significant ongoing financial commitments such as fuel suppliers and leasing agents.

We are doing everything possible to reduce costs during this time so we can come back fighting as fast as possible and continue to be the world’s best low cost carrier, enabling everyone the ability to fly with our great value and service.

We are one of the few airlines world over who has kept all of our staff on. AirAsia is a family and there are tens of thousands of Allstars who depend on the business for their livelihoods and the wellbeing of their own families. Kamarudin and I will not be taking a salary during this period and Allstars from across the business have accepted temporary pay reductions of anywhere between 15-75%, depending on seniority, to share the impact this is having on our business. I thank them for their sacrifice and in keeping the big picture in mind as we navigate this together.

In spite of all these challenges, I want to assure you that AirAsia is strong and remains firmly focused on the future and serving you, our guests. I also want to express my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all of you for your loyalty to AirAsia and I hope that you and your loved ones are healthy and well throughout this trying time. I’m truly sorry that many of your travel plans have been affected. Like all airlines, AirAsia had no choice but to cancel a large number of flights due to government restrictions in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.

I know many of you have expressed frustration with not receiving a refund for your flights but I encourage you to accept a credit as a good alternative. More than 80 percent of you have accepted our credit offer and we truly appreciate this. Please know that our policy is in line with many operators in the travel industry and reflects our focus on coming out the other side of this difficult period and flying with you again as soon as possible. We have ensured that we adhere to all regulations and requirements of respective governments and consumer authorities and believe this is the best solution. You are among the over 600 million guests who have flown AirAsia and can’t wait to fly with you again once this is over.

While we strongly encourage you to accept the credit which is instant and comes with a 365-day validity and allows you to change your flight date for an unlimited number of times, we do accept requests for refund on a case by case basis. However, due to the overwhelming number of requests that we have received, it may take a long process of between 12 to 16 weeks.

I also want to acknowledge the comments I’ve seen about our virtual Allstar AVA. Please know that we take your feedback seriously and my team is making improvements to the system daily. Currently, our team and AVA are handling 10 times the normal volume of queries, which is now at about half a million guests on a daily basis.

We are working tirelessly, around the clock, to provide assistance to each and every one of you. We’ve mobilised additional support to our customer happiness team, including 1,800 Allstars from other functions, who have rolled up their sleeves and volunteered to help, so more live agents are available to assist you via our LiveChat, Facebook Messenger, Twitter & WeChat 24/7.

We’ve never had a time like this before and we are doing our best. We are not always perfect but we strive to do all we can for our people and our customers at all times. This is unprecedented but it is also temporary and we will be back, stronger than before, repainting the skies red and making sure everyone can fly again.

Until then…

Stay home. Be safe. And look to the future.

#InThisTogether

Lots of love,
Tony
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: AirAsia: a personal message from Tony

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've never really associated great customer service with AirAsia, but okay. At least it's an honest letter expressing the hardships faced by the industry.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

Though it is commendable keeping staff on the payroll I seriously doubt that will last much longer. This is going to drag on for months.

As for the credit vs refund, I would try to get the refund rather than risk them going bankrupt and your "credit" be worth zilch.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Hardly surprising they are offering credits and not refunds, the timing of their promo sales funds their working capital significantly ahead of when the deliver the service and would likely put them in a severe short-term liquidity crisis if they had to refund everyone.

I've got 3 outstanding flights, not with Air Asia, and as long as they are flexible about rescheduling without additional cost I'd be happy with that. I just wonder though whether the credits with Air Asia might not cover the pricing of the same flight when they resume, not outside the realm of possibility but a potential PR disaster if they tried that on

What with this " Allstars" bollocks, is it too much just to be called an employee these days. :D
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

I love his wording of "repainting the skies red." For some reason when I read that it came off as an artistic way to refer to killing a Lot of people. Like that's what they'd say to an army about to go into battle with fighter planes in the air.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Refreshingly honest and straightforward, not a bad letter at all.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:08 pm What with this " Allstars" bollocks, is it too much just to be called an employee these days. :D
Yeah initially I thought who are these 'Allstars' ? :lol:

But yeah your point about 'the pricing of the same flight when they resume' is valid. I've got credit with a different airline but the fine print says 'subject to fare differences'.. I guess it's not inconceivable the fare might be cheaper to get more people back but could also be higher too to recover lost revenue..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I can easily sit in a cramped place for 8.5 hours and give you a running non-stop commentary on our Mr Tony - and his mega toy aeroplane collection.
Starting with 100 ways to improve his customer's satisfaction - where he can stick a hundred little cheapskate Air Asia specialities (up his bum of coarse) - and 100 sniping biting little commentaries about aspects of our Mr Tony's crocodile smiling, second-hand car dealer personality .
God knows I have done it often enough.

Then for the return journey we write volume II solely devoted to 2 particular airline tragedies.
a. KLIA 2. The second most hated place on the whole planet, after Hell.
Just ask KungFu, like me he has spent overnights huddled down on the tiles behind the foot massage machines - the most comfortable place in the whole flocking giant shopping arcade/airport catastrophe.
And..
b. The single most dangerous, stupid and distasteful thing in the skies - ie, the whole Malaysian airline industry. All of it.
(don't start me on that)

But, the big BUT ,
cheap as chips and it is all my choice.
I have flown it 100 or more flights - so i ain't got no right to say nuthin' but -

Thanks Mr Tony, sincere good luck, i'll be back for sure
- you tight arsed, short legged, toxic eating Bastard!
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I'd take the credit. If everyone goes for the cash the will probably go tits up. The are (were) cheap and have lots of routes and they keep the majors in check price wise so they are well worth keeping around as a counter balance.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

My flight to KL for this month was only $41 return, a total bargain. I've taken the credit but if I lose it I can live with that. Was looking forward to a few days away but that is meaningless when so many people's livelihoods are on hold (or worse). I think quite a few airlines will go under, and I even wonder if Boeing will survive. No-one's going to want new planes for a long time now. They'll be busy trying to offload the ones they don't need. Best of luck to AirAsia though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic