Is my girlfriend being paranoid?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jer31244
Tourist

Is my girlfriend being paranoid?

Post by jer31244 »

In the past week my girlfriend has repeatedly warned me that the local market she buys food at here in Battambang might be closing soon and maybe the large central market as well. She is encouraging me to stock up on food in preparation for this. So I asked her: "If all the markets close how will people get food to eat?" She replied: "I don't know." I know drastic preventative measures are in order to prevent viral spread but mass starvation seems a little extreme. Have any of your significant others or perhaps a Cambodian friend given any of you this same warning?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is my girlfriend being paranoid?

Post by xandreu »

Even with countries that have enforced the most draconian lock-down policies, there have still been provisions put in place for people to go out and buy supplies. I believe that in China, where some of the hardest lock-down measures were put in place, many provinces had an online ordering service where your shopping was delivered to you (on the end of a stick in some cases).

I think it's looking unlikely that Cambodia will have a lock-down but even if they were, there would be provisions in place for people to continue to buy food.

The biggest worry now is the actual food supply itself.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/10/asia ... index.html
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

funny
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

in general, it's wise to have 14 days worth of non-perishable food in your home at the best of times, now if a hard lockdown occurs you'll still be able to go to the store and buy food, but supply disruption might mean there won't be much food available, additionally, in hard times the outsiders come second... so it wouldn't hurt to stock up a little extra if you can.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The Mekong and Tonlie Sap are the biggest markets . Are they going to close them down .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Lol, it's Khmer New Year (whatever anyone says), so of course there are a lot of stalls closed at the markets. :roll:

You need to stock up a bit, but this happens every year around about now. Buy some beer and don't panic.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

It's not the closure of the markets, but it's panic buying (when it happens) combined with not too reliable supply chains that will cause the problems.

I would listen to your girlfriend and stock up on some food. Actually we stocked up one some food, drinking water and gasoline about a month ago. You can use it anyway, so no money wasted.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

xandreu wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 pm Even with countries that have enforced the most draconian lock-down policies, there have still been provisions put in place for people to go out and buy supplies. I believe that in China, where some of the hardest lock-down measures were put in place, many provinces had an online ordering service where your shopping was delivered to you (on the end of a stick in some cases).

I think it's looking unlikely that Cambodia will have a lock-down but even if they were, there would be provisions in place for people to continue to buy food.

The biggest worry now is the actual food supply itself.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/10/asia ... index.html
Really? I am in the UK. I can choose to queue for an hour to get into one of the big supermarkets, but i dont have any transport to get to them. I have a 7-11 style small shop from one of the major supermarkets and it has bugger all except bread, milk. havent seen tomato ketchup, cleaning fluid, tinned goods, soup or bacon fro a week. The same shops has a small supoermarket 10 minutes walk away. Same thisng. No squash, no bottled water, hardly any tinned goods,no ketchup, no biscuits, no chocolate, no toilet rolls, no tea. I havent listed all of them. There is no sign of panic buying at these shops. they have a strict maximum of 2 items policy. They are just not getting stock, because the manufaturers do nothave enough staff or imports are slowing down and I suspect a lot of stock is being diverted to the superstores which many of us cannot get to. I would strongly advise getting in supplies of any manufactured food while they are available. locally produced food will probably be available but going to a crowded market to get it would be dangerous, especially if you have health conditions. The situation is far worse in Europe than you may have been led to believe and there are already signs of civil unrest brewing. Once that hits, people will be robbed on the street for their groceries!
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:45 pm It's not the closure of the markets, but it's panic buying (when it happens) combined with not too reliable supply chains that will cause the problems.

I would listen to your girlfriend and stock up on some food. Actually we stocked up one some food, drinking water and gasoline about a month ago. You can use it anyway, so no money wasted.
Basically this. If confirmed cases start spiking expect there to be panic buying again.

I've been stocking up on none-perishables a little bit extra at a time each time I have any reason to be at a market, and we bought a couple of 50kg sacks of rice too.

That said I think that it's unlikely a lockdown will come. There are too many people living day to day and after the recent years of drought, flooding, low rice demand last year, and probably general lack of funds in the emergency coffers [/diplomatic] the government can't afford to feed everyone - can't print money as several western governments are either. They would have to impose harsh military enforced lockdown to deal with the inevitable crime wave and panic, I don't think even this government wants to do that.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Maybe she heard about India's lockdown
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic