Is my girlfriend being paranoid?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jer31244
Tourist

Re: Is my girlfriend being paranoid?

Post by jer31244 »

Thanks for the info, everybody! I guess I'll be headed to the market with my girl tomorrow to stock up on emergency supplies.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

jer31244 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:14 pm Thanks for the info, everybody! I guess I'll be headed to the market with my girl tomorrow to stock up on emergency supplies.

Take your fishing line
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Siem Reap has no supply challenges so far.
2 weeks is the norm by people with common sense.
Upping that is a good idea.
Lucky to have a generator and 2 fridges with freezers.
I keep restocking them from Angkor Market and my wife keeps restocking from Khmer markets.
I really feel for you Brits and Euros.
I am buying Roquefort cheese and mature cheddar.
Cans are just back up...tuna..mackeral..milk..tomatoes..etc..
Rice..noodles...FLOUR!
I see stacks of toilet paper upstairs when I shop for cleansers...paper towels etc...
No need for toilet paper here...spray guns work superb..
I go once a week looking for inventory issues.
I even bought fresh parsley..lemons and romaine a few days ago...
Maybe there will be shortages of Khmer goods...Western goods are plentiful because most have left and new shoppers are not arriving.
I am so glad I remained in Cambodia...
Going out tomorrow for more supplies.
Toss in the mango trees are full and like the other Gent said...I have my fishing poles and lures and can try and catch my wife a snakehead..
I heard back in Kampong Cham things were fine.
Fish..rice..veggies..fruits..ducks..chickens..eggs...
See what happens in coming weeks...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

BR549 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:12 pm I am buying Roquefort cheese and mature cheddar.
. . .
Western goods are plentiful because most have left and new shoppers are not arriving.
but nor are new supplies
good luck buying roquefort in a month or two

markets won't close
but individual stalls may
and if there is a sudden lockdown
it would surely be better to be prepared

monstra mihi bona!
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Yes, I am aware the imported cheese is store or purveyor inventory. I am stocking up with that in mind
For example, my Kiwi butter has been frozen for over a year in a warehouse...it has a packed date and best by date on the label.
Your comment is why I have been checking fresh milk dates and buying canned milk.
I 100% agree about being prepared.
I grew up growing my own food and canning it.
Fishing and smoking it ..making jerky out of venison.
My wife dried several kilos of buffalo.
Being prepared is crucial.
It is also a good time to help those in need and perhaps buy extra rice..mama noodles..canned fish etc. for people who are not prepared.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jer31244 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:39 pm In the past week my girlfriend has repeatedly warned me that the local market she buys food at here in Battambang might be closing soon and maybe the large central market as well. She is encouraging me to stock up on food in preparation for this. So I asked her: "If all the markets close how will people get food to eat?" She replied: "I don't know." I know drastic preventative measures are in order to prevent viral spread but mass starvation seems a little extreme. Have any of your significant others or perhaps a Cambodian friend given any of you this same warning?
This country thrives on rumors and gossip. This is why the government has to shut down idiots who spread dangerous advice. There has never been any suggestion that markets or shops should close. Unfortunately when the government does have a reasonable initiative such as cancelling festivities or stopping travel between provinces the populace prefers to rely on dumb rumors and evacuates.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:26 pm This country thrives on rumors and gossip. This is why the government has to shut down idiots who spread dangerous advice. There has never been any suggestion that markets or shops should close. Unfortunately when the government does have a reasonable initiative such as cancelling festivities or stopping travel between provinces the populace prefers to rely on dumb rumors and evacuates.
Couldn't agree more.

So, to answer OP's question: Is my girlfriend being paranoid?

Yes!
(And you seem to be too, by now.)
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

I don't think a bottle of multi-vitamins, a big bag of rice, a big bottle of soy sauce, a bag of chicken seasoning powder, some jugs of water, and a lot of eggs(last a while even if refrigeration fails) are a bad idea. Ramen is always a good fallback too. Get an extra gas can if you'll need it to keep your stove going. Vitamins, protein, carbs, flavoring, hydration. You'll get by and be pretty healthy without too much in the way of supplies. It's no problem using those things anyway as this all passes, but if things do kinda go to shit for a bit, you'll be OK for two or three weeks. And of course if things do go to shit, you get proactive and start worrying about supplies, so hopefully you can make it longer than two or three weeks. I don't think things will get crazy here, though. As mentioned, people are already poor and living on what's in front of them. The government would be crazy And stupid to close the markets. They probably are a little crazy, and definitely have problems, but I don't think they're that stupid.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

BR549 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:12 pm Siem Reap has no supply challenges so far.
2 weeks is the norm by people with common sense.
Upping that is a good idea.
Lucky to have a generator and 2 fridges with freezers.
I keep restocking them from Angkor Market and my wife keeps restocking from Khmer markets.
I really feel for you Brits and Euros.
I am buying Roquefort cheese and mature cheddar.
Cans are just back up...tuna..mackeral..milk..tomatoes..etc..
Rice..noodles...FLOUR!
I see stacks of toilet paper upstairs when I shop for cleansers...paper towels etc...
No need for toilet paper here...spray guns work superb..
I go once a week looking for inventory issues.
I even bought fresh parsley..lemons and romaine a few days ago...
Maybe there will be shortages of Khmer goods...Western goods are plentiful because most have left and new shoppers are not arriving.
I am so glad I remained in Cambodia...
Going out tomorrow for more supplies.
Toss in the mango trees are full and like the other Gent said...I have my fishing poles and lures and can try and catch my wife a snakehead..
I heard back in Kampong Cham things were fine.
Fish..rice..veggies..fruits..ducks..chickens..eggs...
See what happens in coming weeks...
Yeah, well dont forget to stock up on fuel for the generators or ur efforts will have been in vain
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

It’s a great time to plant a garden
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic