ASKING FOR MONEY!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

ASKING FOR MONEY!

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Is anyone else experiencing what I have been over the past week or so were almost every expat I've known or even just met is asking or at least fishing (telling some sob story) for money? I understand its a tough time but I mean its got to the point were people I've said "Hi" to a few times are sending me messages and its starting to really piss me off.

Times are tough for... EVERYONE!!!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: ASKING FOR MONEY!

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I haven't gotten anything like that, but everyone is feeling the pinch I think. My income has dropped by like 30%, and every business owner I know is being squeezed. The key is to diversify your sources of income, but that's easier said than done.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:54 am I haven't gotten anything like that, but everyone is feeling the pinch I think. My income has dropped by like 30%, and every business owner I know is being squeezed. The key is to diversify your sources of income, but that's easier said than done.
That's very true my experience has been only foreigners living in the kingdom asking me for money not a single person from my homeland of Australia have asked me and I know WAY more people there, I feel like some might be using Covid-19 to ask for moneys needed or not. Had 3 people in one day with the same story "I'm owed money but can not collect until the pandemic is over" I just replied "I'm dealing with Coronavirus BS too" and blocked them.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

And just to clarify I've had Australians living in Cambodia ask but none living back home.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:54 am I haven't gotten anything like that, but everyone is feeling the pinch I think. My income has dropped by like 30%, and every business owner I know is being squeezed. The key is to diversify your sources of income, but that's easier said than done.
That's very true my experience has been only foreigners living in the kingdom asking me for money not a single person from my homeland of Australia have asked me and I know WAY more people there, I feel like some might be using Covid-19 to ask for moneys needed or not. Had 3 people in one day with the same story "I'm owed money but can not collect until the pandemic is over" I just replied "I'm dealing with Coronavirus BS too" and blocked them.
You seem to be a great friend to have in bad times.

Anyway, mu COVID-19 measure has been I stopped my wife's allowance, she sold a cow and now she's paying me 650 USD a month. Tips are extra. :popcorn:
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:41 am

Anyway, mu COVID-19 measure has been I stopped my wife's allowance, she sold a cow and now she's paying me 650 USD a month. Tips are extra. :popcorn:
If we are friends and you want anything more then friendship from me you're out of luck, does that make me a bad friend?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:47 am

If we are friends and you want anything more then friendship from me you're out of luck, does that make me a bad friend?
Oh no, friends can accept a no from a friend.

It's the indirect reply "I'm dealing with Coronavirus BS too" and the blocking that triggered me.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:04 am
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:47 am

Oh no, friends can accept a no from a friend.

It's the indirect reply "I'm dealing with Coronavirus BS too" and the blocking that triggered me.
I will never apologize for my honesty and like I said in my original post these were people that I didn't even know that well I have never asked anyone for anything my Dad taught me that and to always have something saved away for a rainy day.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

And just because you did save for that rainy day doesn't mean you are there to look after those who pissed their income against the wall.
I have had a lot of Khmer talk about their lost jobs but no expats whinging to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic