Travel ban from midnight tonight?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Travel ban from midnight tonight?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thanks for clarifying, OP and other posters. Got a worried SMS from missus saying the city is on lockdown starting at midnight.
Apexisto
Expatriate
Finland

Post by Apexisto »

[Mod Edit: No need for that. Take a day off.]
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:19 pm There is also this document released today, workers who take leave during the cancelled new year will have to go into 14 days unpaid quarantine:
lol
despite the fact they can't actually go anywhere
i would put this under 'coercion' if not quite 'slavery'

they really want those mills to keep turning
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's a good initiative. Millions of people traveling around the country is not a good idea right now. There won't be any issues with traveling within the Phnom Penh municipality. Otherwise I'd be fucked as I go through at least 3 on my daily commute.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

how is 'unpaid quarantine if you want to take time off' a good initiative?

i agree countrywide travel is not a good idea now
but the garment factories should be closed too

and let's not forget
there are fewer than 100 cases in cambodia
virtually all of them 'imported'
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's basically a threat that if you don't observe the cancellation of the festival you will lose money.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

it's 'you will work'

monstra mihi bona!
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:40 pm It's basically a threat that if you don't observe the cancellation of the festival you will lose money.
So are all the bars going to reopen as working seems to be the number 1 priority?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:20 pm Thanks for clarifying, OP and other posters. Got a worried SMS from missus saying the city is on lockdown starting at midnight.
There is a "travel ban" between provinces from tonight at midnight for one week to prevent the normal mass migration to the countryside at Khmer New Year. It's not a lockdown, because everything is open, and people are free to go out in their cities, towns and villages, but not to travel around the country.
I know it's a big thing not to go back to your village at Khmer NY, but I think this is a good thing for the general population, and will protect the people in the countryside. Don't let's forget that the big spread of coronavirus in China was at Chinese NY with the massive population shifts.

In reality, I suppose that a lot of people have already gone back to their villages because of lost jobs, but I do think that it's important to stop people traveling around as much as possible right now.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

i hope the people's response will be mass sick-leave

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic