Travel ban from midnight tonight?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Travel ban from midnight tonight?

Post by fazur »

Welcome to Boredom City

advantage: lot of money saved for families
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

It says travelling from one district to another, anyone know if that includes PP? So you can't more around the different districts of PP?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

within phnom penh is ok, for now

how would they realistically enforce it otherwise?
until the army are on every street corner

monstra mihi bona!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mcam wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 pm It says travelling from one district to another, anyone know if that includes PP? So you can't more around the different districts of PP?
Phnom Penh is considered one district, and I can imagine this will apply to other large cities too.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

According to this Phnom Penh would be classed as Autonomous municipality. So a district is equivalent to a Khan. I think the news article should be more clear about what exactly they mean when they say district.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Phnom Penh is an "autonomous municipality" similar to a province and made up of districts (Khan) such as Sen Sok, Russei Keo, Tuol Kork, Chamkarmon etc. I agree it could be a bit more clear.
There is also this document released today, workers who take leave during the cancelled new year will have to go into 14 days unpaid quarantine:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:01 pm within phnom penh is ok, for now

how would they realistically enforce it otherwise?
until the army are on every street corner
Here in the Philippines they are enforcing it with military checkpoints both on city level (Metro Manila consists of many cities, guess it would be comparable to the districts of Phnom Penh, only larger) and some places even on Barangay (Sangkat) level. Unfortunately for me, there's no supermarkets in my Barangay, and my grocery shopping (for western food) depends on the soldier stopping me at any checkpoint that day. The lines to enter the supermarkets are on some days terrible - we're talking 5-6 hours just to enter.
The mood on the streets and among my neighbours after about one month of this is still surprisingly calm and optimistic.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Twelve BMPs and ten T55s are being ordered to come from Kampot to Phnom Penh. Seems like a show of strength to make sure they take it seriously. I don't think anyone would have protested or done anything given the circumstances though. Weird move.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

So basically can i travel from sensok to say toul kork?
From tomorrow
Yes or no please.
Thxs
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Most likely yes.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic