Teaching English as a foreign language with a postgraduate certificate in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Teaching English as a foreign language with a postgraduate certificate in Cambodia?

Post by Kammekor »

OP, asking for 2021 / 2022 I assume?

They just locked us up for at least a week in our districts...
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Teaching English as a foreign language with a postgraduate certificate in Cambodia?

Post by Electric Earth »

Teacher replying here. Based on my experience, depending on what comes out of the other side with this Covid crap, you can totally get a teaching job here. As mentioned, $1,300 might be a little high. $1,000 I think you can probably do. But I'm in Siem Reap. I don't know what exactly people are making in Phnom Penh. It is a little higher, so maybe your $1,300 would be spot on. But, as mentioned, you don't have a B.A./S. so some of the better paying schools won't hire you. Hopefully we'll get lucky and there will be more teachers that bailed than students. Pay might be good and competition not as high. I'd definitely wait at Least six months before making the trip, though. Who knows how long until schools open again, and how long to really get things sorted after they open. For those of us that do end up working right away, it's probably gonna be a bit of a headache and shit-show in the beginning, and I'm a little worried the schools might start talking about lost income and not being able to afford decent teacher wages. The wages aren't great now, so then more teachers will bail and schools will kinda be in trouble for a bit. We'll see...
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

TeacherBelgian wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 pm
fazur wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:17 pm
TeacherBelgian wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 amAny thoughts about whether to go for Thailand or Cambodia in my case?

Kind regards,
Vincent.
let him who has ear here
The saying goes : ''Let him who has ears hear".
Nice creative translation though :-)
wooooosh
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I do not think $1300 is going to be achievable without qualifications. $1000 at astretch but realisticlaly you would be lucky to get full time and $800 with no qualifications and experience. however, $800 is just about enough for an almost decent lifestyle if you are careful and you couldup your salary once you had your foot in the door. Most teachers only get paid for time worked,so they dont get paid durint holdiays for example
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Electric Earth wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:57 am Teacher replying here. Based on my experience, depending on what comes out of the other side with this Covid crap, you can totally get a teaching job here. As mentioned, $1,300 might be a little high. $1,000 I think you can probably do. But I'm in Siem Reap. I don't know what exactly people are making in Phnom Penh. It is a little higher, so maybe your $1,300 would be spot on. But, as mentioned, you don't have a B.A./S. so some of the better paying schools won't hire you. Hopefully we'll get lucky and there will be more teachers that bailed than students. Pay might be good and competition not as high. I'd definitely wait at Least six months before making the trip, though. Who knows how long until schools open again, and how long to really get things sorted after they open. For those of us that do end up working right away, it's probably gonna be a bit of a headache and shit-show in the beginning, and I'm a little worried the schools might start talking about lost income and not being able to afford decent teacher wages. The wages aren't great now, so then more teachers will bail and schools will kinda be in trouble for a bit. We'll see...
Yes, wait.

My kid is learning in a private school, and I paid in advance for the entire year. But I know loads of parents who pay per month, or quarterly, and I know they haven't paid for this month / quarter, just like I didn't pay for the (non existent) bus service (which I pay for every three months).

I can imagine private schools getting into financial trouble if this lasts longer than a few weeks (and it seems it will) and they will stop paying their staff (if they already didn't do so).

Being stuck in Cambodia is one, being stuck without income is a totally different story.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:56 pm
I can imagine private schools getting into financial trouble if this lasts longer than a few weeks (and it seems it will) and they will stop paying their staff (if they already didn't do so).
There was a news report on Friday that said 120 private schools had gone bust already.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

my partner' school is history, warrant issued for owner for fraud
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

anybody know the current situation with any of the well-known Tefl schools?
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

You could have no qualifications, not speak the language, literally be an alcoholic and still get a job teaching English with above average pay round parts of this country.
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

WineOxley wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:33 pm You could have no qualifications, not speak the language, literally be an alcoholic and still get a job teaching English with above average pay round parts of this country.
Hmm... Do you have teaching experience here? I'm not saying you're Necessarily wrong. But there are some factors. What are you basing this on when you say "above average pay?" Are you basing this off of the Cambodian national average of a local person? Because lots of Cambodians live with family and can get daily goods cheaper than I can. There's No way I could possibly live on that income alone. Things just cost more for me to live here. At least in Siem Reap, I literally can't live at the same price as a local. There's a foreigner tax. And what do you mean "not speak the language?" Are you talking about English? How would you get a job teaching English without speaking it? If you're talking about Khmer, sure, but why would that matter if you're working as an English teacher? I think anyone Living in a country Should make an effort to learn at least some of the language. You're kind of a douche if you don't at least try to learn some(I know a lot of people are gonna take offense at that, but so be it. I think you're kind of a douche if you don't at least make an effort to respect and learn about the local people, culture, etc. if you're gonna live there). And if you don't have Any qualifications, don't speak English well, and can't keep your shit together because you're so much of an alcoholic, that combo would keep you from working at a decent wage in the cities. Maybe you could go work for $3-500/month or something in a smaller place? But who would want to do that? Eat rice and fish all day, nothing to do, not speaking the language, living in a tiny place with no a/c or something? Sounds pretty miserable to me...
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic