What is the best crop/tree to plant in Cambodia

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

What is the best crop/tree to plant in Cambodia

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello everyone,

I am working on my partner's land during the Covid crisis. The land already has a fair number of mango trees on it, and there is a large amount of vacant space remaining. We're not really sure what we want to plant to use up the rest of the land. Pepper seems to be overproduced now, bananas are a possibility, jackfruit, cashews. We also considered planting a legume crop to fertilize the soil better.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone have any experience planting that they learned from and what they would do differently this time?

Thanks!
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What is the best crop/tree to plant in Cambodia

Post by SEAdude »

Avocados!

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:54 am Hello everyone,

I am working on my partner's land during the Covid crisis. The land already has a fair number of mango trees on it, and there is a large amount of vacant space remaining. We're not really sure what we want to plant to use up the rest of the land. Pepper seems to be overproduced now, bananas are a possibility, jackfruit, cashews. We also considered planting a legume crop to fertilize the soil better.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone have any experience planting that they learned from and what they would do differently this time?

Thanks!
Depends on irrigation, soil, elevation etc. So, where's the land, does it flood, have shade, etc?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I have an avocado tree at my house & that's a long game for actual fruit. I also have a 'ma-kak' tree (SE Asian plum) which is going great guns, enough to give me my own supply of 'm-joo' during this social distancing malarky.

Just pet projects, nothing on a farming scale sorry.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Whatever you grow, if you are not growing it for your own consumption , but to resell , you will be competing in a market that is depressed and flooded with cheap fruit. Grow something that you can process yourself and add value.

eg,,, If its bananas , dry them or make banana wine to sell.. If it's rice, make rice biscuits. If its mangoes, make mango chutney. etc.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

It really depends on the game you're playing, the availability of water, and the effort and amount of money you want to put in.

Avocado
Relatively cheap, the seedlings you can grow yourself, but 5-7 years before you will have fruit (my case: 6 years)

Durian
Seedlings are very expensive, and they need loads of water. 5-8 years beofre you have fruits. The trees need a lot of maintenance.

Cashew nuts
Easy crop, cheap seedlings, nuts in 2-3 years, but labor intensive to collect the nuts.

Papaya
Easiest of all, fruits in months, just drop some seeds and you'll have a tree in weeks. Only 50% will have fruit though (only the females?).

Jackfruit
Fruit in 1-2 years, relatively easy to grow, inexpensive

Banana
Labor intensive. After having fruit once the tree will die, and you have to take out the seedlings and replant them. If you do bananas, do the cheek-pong-mon (the small ones)

Whatever you choose, don't plant anything until the rainy season kicked in.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your replies, actually I will need to delay responding as we are still busy harvesting. Will get back with a more considered response once we are done.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

I found that apples are expensive here because imported. Idk if an apple tree can grow and produce in Cambodia soils but you could make a small fortune if that went well.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

would turmeric or galangal have much money in it? it seems such a health craze everywhere I would think they have to buy it somewhere?
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:04 am I found that apples are expensive here because imported. Idk if an apple tree can grow and produce in Cambodia soils but you could make a small fortune if that went well.
Seriously, if you could grow apples, you might make a killing. They're easy to grow and harvest too, if they'll grow here.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic