current and future of cambodia and covid situation

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

current and future of cambodia and covid situation

Post by glennb6 »

Hey all,

Hope this post doesn't come off as a rank newbie looking for answers, I'm a neophyte about cambodia other than casual reading of this and other forums.

I'm retired expat living darkside Pattaya for two and a half years now. Previously lived in uppernowheresville bahn-nok Thailand for about two years, and way back when lived in Pattaya for three and a half years.

Had always felt Thailand to have a vibe that was more 'free' than the ussa. And suddenly this WuFlu scam has gone worldwide, and Pattaya has gone big police state lock-down and most businesses are shut down. In two days all travel between Pattaya proper and the darkside must travel between a few checkpoints. Your paper falang! Facemask of fined, wouldn't be surprise if next move is 24hr house lock-down. Martial law by any other name.

If this lasts more than a couple weeks it's going to get very rough for many Thais, which will result in increased crime, which will increase animosity of falang. Human nature. I view this as nothing but a sudden police state where the Gestapo is more than happy to be in charge. I have lost any respect for the government and the police. Not my type of lifestyle living here any more.

I have no idea how Cambodia is, but would be interested in hearing various thoughts. And will be interested in what expats think it will be like in 3 months, 6 months, 1 yrs.

Thanks, Glennb6
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: current and future of cambodia and covid situation

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

In defense of the Thai "lockdown police state" that you mention, I think that the situation is even worse in western coutries where you will get a big fine for leaving your home without justification. This is a pandemic where everyone is supposed to remain at home and not spread their germs. It's completely normal that the Thais are trying to lock down non-essential travel, and most countries are the same.
I'm not a big fan of the Thai government, but it's tough all over. Nobody wants newcomers arriving right now.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's all going 1993 style again dude, buckle down.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:57 pm In defense of the Thai "lockdown police state" that you mention, I think that the situation is even worse in western coutries where you will get a big fine for leaving your home without justification. This is a pandemic where everyone is supposed to remain at home and not spread their germs. It's completely normal that the Thais are trying to lock down non-essential travel, and most countries are the same.
I'm not a big fan of the Thai government, but it's tough all over. Nobody wants newcomers arriving right now.
Anchor, you can defend Thai govt and police if you like. With a mortality total of 27 since January, half of which had serious pre-existing conditions, give a chance dying from CV at 0.000039%. I don't feel like getting into an argument over Covid at this point.

Is Cambodia on similar lock down now? Curfew? Travel restrictions within country?

Thx, Glennb6
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

Captain Bonez wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:54 pm Image
mmm, nice neighborhood Captn, :ROFL:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Given that thousands of Thais die on the roads every year, surely the lockdown only has positive benefits. Much fewer people drink driving, for a start.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

same same but different

monstra mihi bona!
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

NO, NO,NO, if you've cash, house etc. everything is like b4! Do what you always do, girls all over, everything available (I mean supermarkets).
JUST wear your mask AND stay inside 10 pm till 4 AM! Worry? Why? Politics? WTF are politics, not my problem. KOW, VN beter??? Worse??? Tell me! CARPE DIEM!!!
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

NO, NO,NO,

I just learned that from April 9th, Pattaya is on TOTAL LOCKDOWN!!! for 21 days! Many checkpoints on Sukhumvit! (6). You need special ID to move!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic