What is a decent allowance for a Khmer girlfriend?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: What is a decent allowance for a Khmer girlfriend?

Post by phuketrichard »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:15 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:51 am Mostly they are poor because they dont keep a record of what they sell or what they spend.
Yeah, Cambodian coconut sellers aren't poor because they were raised in a developing country and are poorly educated and no marketable skills. It's because they don't keep records of the coconut sales.
LOL

one thing with the lockdown in various countries and the poor
they now have to choose,
break the law to try and earn a few $$
or go hungry

how will keeping track help them?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:15 pm
they now have to choose,
or go hungry

There is no lock down here, traveling between provinces has been banned except for goods transport.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:15 pm
they now have to choose,
or go hungry

There is no lock down here, traveling between districts has been banned except for goods transport.
FTFY

Pork which is coming from neighboring districts didn’t make it today to the market despite exceptions announced. I guess the guys checking the roads either did not receive clear instructions or they fell for the old habit of holding up theirs hands at checkpoints.
BiggieBig
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BiggieBig »

Why do you guys give your girlfriends allowances? Lived in thailand for a very long time and never paid them allowances. What is the reasoning behind an allowance? Is this a khmer thing?
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

BiggieBig wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:42 am Why do you guys give your girlfriends allowances? Lived in thailand for a very long time and never paid them allowances. What is the reasoning behind an allowance? Is this a khmer thing?
I think you will find its more related to bar girls, normally as I am sure you are aware, they get a basic salary + Girl drink percentage + short or long-time profit.

Its safe to say 99% of these girls do not want to be doing what they are but they are making some good coin for little effort and in return can send decent coin home to support the family. (or safe face, depends how you look at it)

If you want to pull one of these girls away from the bar to become a permanent fixture, you will need to make the venture profitable so she can keep up appearances and keep the family happy.

As a rule, most will be your live in for less then possibly bar earnings simply because of security/ guaranteed income and it’s a shitload less effort.
Rule of thumb, stunner = a hefty fee, middy = happy life

Well that’s my take on it anyhow
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BigDee wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:06 pm
BiggieBig wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:42 am Why do you guys give your girlfriends allowances? Lived in thailand for a very long time and never paid them allowances. What is the reasoning behind an allowance? Is this a khmer thing?
I think you will find its more related to bar girls, normally as I am sure you are aware, they get a basic salary + Girl drink percentage + short or long-time profit.

Its safe to say 99% of these girls do not want to be doing what they are but they are making some good coin for little effort and in return can send decent coin home to support the family. (or safe face, depends how you look at it)

If you want to pull one of these girls away from the bar to become a permanent fixture, you will need to make the venture profitable so she can keep up appearances and keep the family happy.

As a rule, most will be your live in for less then possibly bar earnings simply because of security/ guaranteed income and it’s a shitload less effort.
Rule of thumb, stunner = a hefty fee, middy = happy life

Well that’s my take on it anyhow
Yes, I think you're correct.

Bar girls expect an allowance.
Ex bar girls expect an allowance.
Girls with knowledge about the bar scene will try to get an allowance.

Other girls might try to bargain some kind of allowance, but it seems a rare occurrence.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

A proper question to ask is why wouldn't a girl expect an allowance, especially from a foreigner boyfriend? A girl like that surely is contriving something sinister in the future, I would stay away.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

I do'n know re a Khmer gf... Tland, in past years I would provide a "small" allowance to gf because I didn't want her working bar whilst being gf. some stuck around, some didn't. No matter what their work history, peer pressure is very strong and family pressure is double that. Don't fight culture. Maybe I should have moved upscale - nah. Eventually wound up officially married to thai gf. said I wouldn't and never sent her family one baht, gave her small spending money occasionally. In the end, same old story all over the world, renting would have been cheaper. Live and try to learn.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic