What is a decent allowance for a Khmer girlfriend?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What is a decent allowance for a Khmer girlfriend?

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It's not about how much money you give someone,,, it should be about what they spend it on.

The girls in my family at Takhmau have always received a weekly allowance, but they have to write it in their diary book every day. I never check to see what they spend it on ,only to make sure they fill it in every day. The 8 year old gets 5,000 r per day, but does not have a book until she is ten , then her allowance goes up to 10,000 r
The 10 year old get 10,000 r per day, and the 18 yo gets $3 per day
The 20 yo that lives with me, has a job and only gets free board, elc, water and internet, but still fills out her book ,,, sometimes.
Their mother is bloody hopeless with money and I now refuse to give her anything.

I would suggest any one giving money to girlfriends / wife's and even do this your self,,, lead by example. Write everything in a diary book as if running your life like you are like running a business.

I can go back 15 or more years and show, on that day ???? that Month ,,, That year,,, I started the day with XXX amount of dollars in my pocket, and spent XXXXX dollars that day and ended up with XXXXX dollars for the next day.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

$0

When you get serious you just have a joint account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Giving an allowance to a wife or girlfriend seems to be a very unequal partnership. Surely it would be better for her self worth to have a job or invest some money to get her some skills or training.
aei
Tourist
Sudan

Post by aei »

I'm here cause I lived in PhnomPenh.
Now I live in Marrakech, Morocco.
I swear it's the same, exactly the same, when it comes to covering expenses
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Duncan wrote:It's not about how much money you give someone,,, it should be about what they spend it on.

The girls in my family at Takhmau have always received a weekly allowance, but they have to write it in their diary book every day. I never check to see what they spend it on ,only to make sure they fill it in every day. The 8 year old gets 5,000 r per day, but does not have a book until she is ten , then her allowance goes up to 10,000 r
The 10 year old get 10,000 r per day, and the 18 yo gets $3 per day
The 20 yo that lives with me, has a job and only gets free board, elc, water and internet, but still fills out her book ,,, sometimes.
Their mother is bloody hopeless with money and I now refuse to give her anything.

I would suggest any one giving money to girlfriends / wife's and even do this your self,,, lead by example. Write everything in a diary book as if running your life like you are like running a business.

I can go back 15 or more years and show, on that day ???? that Month ,,, That year,,, I started the day with XXX amount of dollars in my pocket, and spent XXXXX dollars that day and ended up with XXXXX dollars for the next day.
That's a great thing you're doing Duncan. I've kept meticulous track of my daily expenses for over ten years now, and it's great. I've got a spreadsheet that goes back all the way. I tried to get my lady to do it a few times, but she can't keep it up.

A few months ago, when we first talked about increasing the food stipend (or whatever you want to call it) as she said she was spending a lot of her own money on it, my first point was that I wasn't against it at all, but she should keep track for a month so we cout see where the money was going (I knew exactly how much is spent on food). She'll do it for five days or so, but then forgets a day or two, and then it falls apart as she hasn't been able to make it a habit. It's a great habit to instill in young children. So many people can't manage money because they can't do this simple task.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I use quicken to track expenses & income going back to 99

Tell ya, this month will save a bundle, as only expense is groceries, electric, (this will increase i figure from $26-40 as home a LOT and its dam hot) & internet
Just filed up my tank ...600 baht ( gas is down to 22.5 baht/lt for 95, ....$.69/lt)
past 30 days haven't driven more than 150 kms and next 2 weeks cant leave kamala, (its only 4 kms long from one end to the other)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I explain it to the kids and all the family like this. Go to the market and you will see lots of poor villagers selling things. Mostly they are poor because they dont keep a record of what they sell or what they spend.

Now compare that to rich businesses , like banks . Do they give you money without writing it down . If you give the bank money , do you expect them to write it down in your bank account.

When we go to Lucky or Bayon Supermarket ,,, they give you a receipt to show what you paid .

That is why they are rich , because they write it all down.

OK , kids today's lessons are over .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

God'sGift wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:41 pm the hooker who 'won't suck dick' etc...
A true crime if there ever was one...
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Duncan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:51 am Mostly they are poor because they dont keep a record of what they sell or what they spend.
Yeah, Cambodian coconut sellers aren't poor because they were raised in a developing country and are poorly educated and no marketable skills. It's because they don't keep records of the coconut sales.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic