What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

Post by michael.stewart1 »

My ex-girlfriend told me I am too poor for her. I make most of my income from a trust that my father left me after he died. The only stipulation on my income is that I am not allowed to get married. My income is $1300.00 a month. $1500 if you count the interest on my savings account and treasury bonds. I tend to be a homebody and I do not like drinking, going to clubs or being around people often. I usually sleep all day and play video games all night. I will work on occasion mainly because I get bored and need excitement. My idea of socializing is to go to the local Chinese or Russian restaurant to practice Chinese or Russian. I tend to cook my meals at home whenever possible. I like making homemade pizzas, bread, cakes, pastries, sodas, candy, and soap. Once a month I might go to a bar for an hour or two. Then I get bored and go home. when i was with my girlfriend I would take her out places whenever she would insist.
For the most part, my bills would be rent, utilities, food, and the internet. The main addiction I have is milk. I get irritable if I have not drunk at least a liter of milk in the morning.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

Post by Marty »

Decent is 500 a month. Living good is 1000 a month. Living like royalty is 1500 a month.

Fascinating. Theres lotsa restaurants in The Penh for you to study foreign languages. Why not try Greek and Mexican too?
Last edited by Marty on Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 am My ex-girlfriend told me I am too poor for her. I make most of my income from a trust that my father left me after he died. The only stipulation on my income is that I am not allowed to get married. My income is $1300.00 a month. $1500 if you count the interest on my savings account and treasury bonds. I tend to be a homebody and I do not like drinking, going to clubs or being around people often. I usually sleep all day and play video games all night. I will work on occasion mainly because I get bored and need excitement. My idea of socializing is to go to the local Chinese or Russian restaurant to practice Chinese or Russian. I tend to cook my meals at home whenever possible. I like making homemade pizzas, bread, cakes, pastries, sodas, candy, and soap. Once a month I might go to a bar for an hour or two. Then I get bored and go home. when i was with my girlfriend I would take her out places whenever she would insist.
For the most part, my bills would be rent, utilities, food, and the internet. The main addiction I have is milk. I get irritable if I have not drunk at least a liter of milk in the morning.

Have you ever thought of buying a cow , then you will not only have a girlfriend but have as much milk as you want .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

I concur, Duncan had the best idea yet. One thing I would add is dont accidentally go jabbering in Chinese in the Russian restaurant and dont accidentally go jabbering in Russian in the Chinese restaurant.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Duncan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:44 am
michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 am My ex-girlfriend told me I am too poor for her. I make most of my income from a trust that my father left me after he died. The only stipulation on my income is that I am not allowed to get married. My income is $1300.00 a month. $1500 if you count the interest on my savings account and treasury bonds. I tend to be a homebody and I do not like drinking, going to clubs or being around people often. I usually sleep all day and play video games all night. I will work on occasion mainly because I get bored and need excitement. My idea of socializing is to go to the local Chinese or Russian restaurant to practice Chinese or Russian. I tend to cook my meals at home whenever possible. I like making homemade pizzas, bread, cakes, pastries, sodas, candy, and soap. Once a month I might go to a bar for an hour or two. Then I get bored and go home. when i was with my girlfriend I would take her out places whenever she would insist.

Have you ever thought of buying a cow , then you will not only have a girlfriend but have as much milk as you want .
At least with the cow it will be happy if i give it a roof over its head and that I feed it. When it gives me crap I can use it in my garden or sell it to my neighbors.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Marty wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am Decent is 500 a month. Living good is 1000 a month. Living like royalty is 1500 a month.

Fascinating. Theres lotsa restaurants in The Penh for you to study foreign languages. Why not try Greek and Mexican too?
I have friends from Facebook who are Peruvian who can teach me Spanish and Quechua if i want to learn them. Greek does not really interest me much as I would have little use for it. Turkish would be useful as I plan to travel to all the -stan countries within the next 5 years.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Marty wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am Decent is 500 a month. Living good is 1000 a month. Living like royalty is 1500 a month.
a duke that fell ashore?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Your girlfriend probably just thought that you're a lazy fuck and didn't understand why you don't work to rake in more money. Don't get me wrong, I don't think you don't have enough for the lifestyle you like, but her goals with regards to your spending (on her) might have been shall we say more ambitious.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

In all seriousness what happens if you want to get married at a future date, what is your work experience and qualifications? You said that your lifestyle involves sleeping all day and playing video games all night, I doubt even Rozzie Oz's ninja CV writing skills will turn your Cambodian years into a marketable proposition should your trust fund cease paying out.

I think that may be more of an issue long-term than short term Cambodia living budget.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Ian
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ian »

1. if you get married who is going to know? Just don't tell anyone.
2.$1500 is good income for a upper middle class Khmer.
3. your GF probably did't think you were poor. More likely cheap in her eyes because you were not spending on fun stuff (fun in her eyes)
4. if you can't live the good life on $1k a month + rent then you are not trying. I used to be able to have a pretty good life with a live in GF on $800+rent+booze eating out most nights and slinging the GF a few hundred shopping money a month as she had her own job.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic