What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bernipes
Tourist

Re: What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

Post by bernipes »

Marty wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am Decent is 500 a month. Living good is 1000 a month. Living like royalty is 1500 a month.

Fascinating. Theres lotsa restaurants in The Penh for you to study foreign languages. Why not try Greek and Mexican too?
Hi,

Are theses amounts depends of the city where you live ?

thanks a lot :)
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

[/quote]

That's an amazing breakdown.

Do you mind saying which area of PP you live in?
[/quote]

Thank You.

When in PP, I live in the centre of PP, Daun Penh, Street 174 just off Norodom.

One of the keys to not spending too much is to have your own transport. Those Tuk Tuk fares do add up.

Also finding cheap places to eat is a bonus. I often eat with my partner at a khmer place on st 154 where it costs $2 a dish with unlimited rice, 2 dishes fills us. Khmer BBQ's are reasonable as well.

If you cook at home, shop at the markets not at the supermarkets where prices are on a par with the west.

Buy 20lt bottles of water for 75 cents, for use at home.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:02 am
SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm
LaudJohn wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:25 pm
michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 am My ex-girlfriend told me I am too poor for her. I make most of my income from a trust that my father left me after he died. The only stipulation on my income is that I am not allowed to get married. My income is $1300.00 a month. $1500 if you count the interest on my savings account and treasury bonds. I tend to be a homebody and I do not like drinking, going to clubs or being around people often. I usually sleep all day and play video games all night. I will work on occasion mainly because I get bored and need excitement. My idea of socializing is to go to the local Chinese or Russian restaurant to practice Chinese or Russian. I tend to cook my meals at home whenever possible. I like making homemade pizzas, bread, cakes, pastries, sodas, candy, and soap. Once a month I might go to a bar for an hour or two. Then I get bored and go home. when i was with my girlfriend I would take her out places whenever she would insist.
For the most part, my bills would be rent, utilities, food, and the internet. The main addiction I have is milk. I get irritable if I have not drunk at least a liter of milk in the morning.
For me in PP
Rent $200 includes internet
power with Aircon 24/7 $70 p/m
City golf 5 days a week $200p/m
Golf 2 times a month $200p/m
Box office on Friday with 3 craft beers and 3 cans $60/pm
Daily 10 Beers $390 p/m
Scotch and gin for nightcaps 6 litres @$10 each $60 p/m
Breakfast $30pm (bacon and eggs etc at home)
Daily meal out @ $7 a day $210
Visa $25pm
Petrol for moto $15pm

Total $1460 p/m

cook at home and drink less alcohol than I do (not easy in PP) and you will save $400 on this easily. Dont play golf, save an additional$400 p/m, (but have no reason to live).

Cost of my girlfriend ... don't ask.

Milk costs $2 to $3 per liter

I am currently living close to Orussey Market

my monthly budget tends to be
335 per month for housing
76 per month for ice cream
92 per month on Chinese Dumplings
30 per month on Tsingtao beer( I love Chinese beer)
30 per month on Vodka
70 per month on apple juice
70 per month on cranberry juice.
50 per month on milk
90 per month on Pizza
20 per month on soda.
50 per month on therapy sessions
20 per month on dental
10 per month on a mail forwarding service in the usa.
30 per month on official fees
Priceless per month on practicing Chinese with the Chinese waitresses at the Chinese Restaurant i get dumplings at.( i love Chinese people. Thinks I should marry a Chinese woman)
As my income is 1400. I am usually left with 400. If i had a place to do my own cooking I would drastically reduce the amount of money i spend eating pizza , ice cream, and dumplings.
No food other than dumplings, ice cream and Pizza?
no electricity
No travel, ( you really walk everywhere?)
No phone/internet
no visa
No shampoo, soap, toothpaste, mouth wash, etc etc
never wash ur clothes
Never buy misc stuff for cooking, ( rice, salt & pepper, other spices, sauces, bread, cooking oil, cooking gas, etc etc)
Groceries (come on LJ bacon % eggs is all u eat at home?)
no misc expenses, (nothing ever breaks, nothing ever needs replacing,never want anything)

you all really are leaving out alot on these lists.. :stir:

LJ;
Whats city golf?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Here are my expenses (minus rent) for the past 2+ years. Just to give you an idea. That's for two people. I also have expensive hobbies (plus I like good food).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 am My ex-girlfriend told me I am too poor for her. I make most of my income from a trust that my father left me after he died. The only stipulation on my income is that I am not allowed to get married. My income is $1300.00 a month. $1500 if you count the interest on my savings account and treasury bonds. I tend to be a homebody and I do not like drinking, going to clubs or being around people often. I usually sleep all day and play video games all night. I will work on occasion mainly because I get bored and need excitement. My idea of socializing is to go to the local Chinese or Russian restaurant to practice Chinese or Russian. I tend to cook my meals at home whenever possible. I like making homemade pizzas, bread, cakes, pastries, sodas, candy, and soap. Once a month I might go to a bar for an hour or two. Then I get bored and go home. when i was with my girlfriend I would take her out places whenever she would insist.
For the most part, my bills would be rent, utilities, food, and the internet. The main addiction I have is milk. I get irritable if I have not drunk at least a liter of milk in the morning.
1,300-1,500 is a nice start most of us didn't have, and I don't know what age you are, but 1,300-1,500 USD are not going to cut it in the long term I think. If I were you I'd try to accumulate a bit more wealth for the future times.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 am
michael.stewart1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:02 am
SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm
LaudJohn wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:25 pm
For me in PP
Rent $200 includes internet
power with Aircon 24/7 $70 p/m
Box office on Friday with 3 craft beers and 3 cans $60/pm
Daily 10 Beers $390 p/m
Scotch and gin for nightcaps 6 litres @$10 each $60 p/m
Breakfast $30pm (bacon and eggs etc at home)
Daily meal out @ $7 a day $210
Visa $25pm
Petrol for moto $15pm

Total $1460 p/m

cook at home and drink less alcohol than I do (not easy in PP) and you will save $400 on this easily. Dont play golf, save an additional$400 p/m, (but have no reason to live).

Cost of my girlfriend ... don't ask.

Milk costs $2 to $3 per liter

I am currently living close to Orussey Market

my monthly budget tends to be
335 per month for housing
76 per month for ice cream
92 per month on Chinese Dumplings
30 per month on Tsingtao beer( I love Chinese beer)
30 per month on Vodka
70 per month on apple juice
70 per month on cranberry juice.
50 per month on milk
90 per month on Pizza
20 per month on soda.
50 per month on therapy sessions
20 per month on dental
10 per month on a mail forwarding service in the usa.
30 per month on official fees
Priceless per month on practicing Chinese with the Chinese waitresses at the Chinese Restaurant i get dumplings at.( i love Chinese people. Thinks I should marry a Chinese woman)
As my income is 1400. I am usually left with 400. If i had a place to do my own cooking I would drastically reduce the amount of money i spend eating pizza , ice cream, and dumplings.
No food other than dumplings, ice cream and Pizza?
no electricity
No travel, ( you really walk everywhere?)
No phone/internet
no visa
No shampoo, soap, toothpaste, mouth wash, etc etc
never wash ur clothes
Never buy misc stuff for cooking, ( rice, salt & pepper, other spices, sauces, bread, cooking oil, cooking gas, etc etc)
Groceries (come on LJ bacon % eggs is all u eat at home?)
no misc expenses, (nothing ever breaks, nothing ever needs replacing,never want anything)

you all really are leaving out alot on these lists.. :stir:

LJ;
Whats city golf?
I am staying at a guest house at the moment. My visa is the official fee. If i have a kitchen then I would not go out to eat pizza, dumplings and the like as I would make meals at home.I do not like to eat anything that has bones, too chewy, or has shells. I prefer foods that melt in my mouth or are soft like bread, cheese and ice cream. I do like vegetables such as cabbages, bell peppers, and mint. I would usually make my own sodas, candy, and the like. I usually make my own soap. I used to get angry with my ex when she would spend 30.00 on soap with moisturizer rather then my homemade soap that had Glycerin which would do the same thing and only cost .50 to make.
Unless my destination is over 15 miles I will usually walk to where I need to go. I stay close to the Orruseey market and it takes me 30 minutes to walk to the riverside. It takes me two hours to walk from Riverside to the airport. When i paid for electricity before It would usually be less then 60. I hate air conditioning and i find 90 degrees weather comfortable. If i needed to blast the AC all day I would go move to Russia. which is a good idea because I always dream of living in Russia.
Based on what my previous apartment my expenses were
500 for rent, utilities and internet,
150 for food
60 for healthcare.

I usually will not leave my home unless I have to work or my girlfriend wants to go out. I am happy staying home playing video games. I really started asking myself why I need a girlfriend. All they do is make me spend my money on stupid stuff like 300.00 pimple creams and going to the cinema once a week. I would rather simply wait until the movie comes out on putlocker.

The day my gf left me is the day my wallet became fat again. I took out 150.00 last month and i still have 20.00 left. I do not have to sleep on the edge of the bed anymore and I do not have to worry about what bill I will have to pay

At the moment my goal is to stay in Cambodia until I can go work in China again.
In China my lifestyle would cost me 700 a month.
An apartment in Shenyang would be 2500 Yuan if you include utilities
food would cost me 2000 Yuan
transportation would cost me 400Yuan in order to get to work when it is cold and icy outside.
The best part is I can actually talk to locals there because they all speak Chinese which they do not do in Cambodia. So far in life, my greatest regrets are saying no to the Brazilian woman who asked me to marry her 15 years ago. ( I love Latinas as they are so much fun to hang out with and I like aggressive women), Not realizing that Russia had a foreign legion 10 years ago as I always wanted to be a Russian soldier, and that I left China twice for my ex when she could not pay rent. Lesser regrets were not traveling to Indonesia a few years ago as I wanted to see Komodo Dragons and learn about Suharto and when my girlfriend broke up with me the first time I did not continue on to Europe like I had planned. I had planned to travel to Rome to see a friend. Then I would go to Egypt to see the Pyramids, Tunisia to see Carthage, Turkey to see the Mausoleum of Hallicarnasus and the Temple of Epheseus, and then to Greece to see all the wonders there. After I would go to Poland where I could teach English while I stayed in a Castle. My mother's family is Polish After going to Serbia to learn about Josip Broz Tito I and Bulgaria to try to meet Bulgarian women I would then go live in Albania the land of Envar Hoxha. I prefer to live in countries that have dictatorships and have limited freedom of press so news from the USA cannot anger me anymore.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Why dont you go to a country where you will have freedom to smoke a pole?
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

" 300.00 pimple creams"
What, she doesn't know you're supposed to just scratch them off with your fingernail?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:dm: I can see why your Cambodian girlfriend left you - you walk everywhere, have no A/C, use homemade soap(with no perfume, i bet), constantly play video games,(this is not fun for your non-playing partner), you complain about spending money, and moan about going out once a week. Totally no fun. You are not good boyfriend material for a normal woman, whatever the country.
So, find yourself a lady who will play video games with you, likes to walk a lot, hates A/C, doesn't use any commercial cosmetics, doesn't like to spend money, and mostly wants to stay at home with you. And if she speaks Chinese, does a great back massage, and has a good job, well so much the better. Win-win.
Unless my destination is over 15 miles I will usually walk to where I need to go. I stay close to the Orruseey market and it takes me 30 minutes to walk to the riverside. It takes me two hours to walk from Riverside to the airport. When i paid for electricity before It would usually be less then 60. I hate air conditioning and i find 90 degrees weather comfortable. If i needed to blast the AC all day I would go move to Russia. which is a good idea because I always dream of living in Russia.

I usually will not leave my home unless I have to work or my girlfriend wants to go out. I am happy staying home playing video games. I really started asking myself why I need a girlfriend. All they do is make me spend my money on stupid stuff like 300.00 pimple creams and going to the cinema once a week. I would rather simply wait until the movie comes out on putlocker.
Sorry, a bit :offtopic:
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

I've never heard of a Cambodian woman leaving an American boyfriend before. This is a first.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic