What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

Post by WildA »

fazur wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:57 am
michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 amTurkish would be useful as I plan to travel to all the -stan countries within the next 5 years.
most stan countries communicate with other nationalities in russian, i think
I mashed this totally slinky tall Uzbek chick one night that I grabbed out of Mixx, one of the best 5 minutes I have had in my life.

But they all speak Russian. The way it works is that Uzbeks say they are either Ukrainian or Russian, till you catch them. The Iranians and Kazakh say they are Uzbek, but if they cant speak Russian you know they are Iranians as opposed to Kazakhs, who can. Sort of like the Romanian girls in FKKs, they say they are Italian. Turks speak German, those are rare gems, but quite tasty. Turks dont speak Russian.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

fazur wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:57 am
michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 amTurkish would be useful as I plan to travel to all the -stan countries within the next 5 years.
most stan countries communicate with other nationalities in russian, i think
Russian sometimes
but mostly Kalashnikovistani
'universally understood in these parts.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Khmu Nation hit the nail on the head.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

WildA wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:09 am But they all speak Russian. The way it works is that Uzbeks say they are either Ukrainian or Russian, till you catch them. The Iranians and Kazakh say they are Uzbek, but if they cant speak Russian you know they are Iranians as opposed to Kazakhs, who can. Sort of like the Romanian girls in FKKs, they say they are Italian. Turks speak German, those are rare gems, but quite tasty. Turks dont speak Russian.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 am
Marty wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am Decent is 500 a month. Living good is 1000 a month. Living like royalty is 1500 a month.
a duke that fell ashore?
The Duke of Earl. :hattip:
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 am My ex-girlfriend told me I am too poor for her. I make most of my income from a trust that my father left me after he died. The only stipulation on my income is that I am not allowed to get married. My income is $1300.00 a month. $1500 if you count the interest on my savings account and treasury bonds. I tend to be a homebody and I do not like drinking, going to clubs or being around people often. I usually sleep all day and play video games all night. I will work on occasion mainly because I get bored and need excitement. My idea of socializing is to go to the local Chinese or Russian restaurant to practice Chinese or Russian. I tend to cook my meals at home whenever possible. I like making homemade pizzas, bread, cakes, pastries, sodas, candy, and soap. Once a month I might go to a bar for an hour or two. Then I get bored and go home. when i was with my girlfriend I would take her out places whenever she would insist.
For the most part, my bills would be rent, utilities, food, and the internet. The main addiction I have is milk. I get irritable if I have not drunk at least a liter of milk in the morning.
For me in PP
Rent $200 includes internet
power with Aircon 24/7 $70 p/m
City golf 5 days a week $200p/m
Golf 2 times a month $200p/m
Box office on Friday with 3 craft beers and 3 cans $60/pm
Daily 10 Beers $390 p/m
Scotch and gin for nightcaps 6 litres @$10 each $60 p/m
Breakfast $30pm (bacon and eggs etc at home)
Daily meal out @ $7 a day $210
Visa $25pm
Petrol for moto $15pm

Total $1460 p/m

cook at home and drink less alcohol than I do (not easy in PP) and you will save $400 on this easily. Dont play golf, save an additional$400 p/m, (but have no reason to live).

Cost of my girlfriend ... don't ask.

Milk costs $2 to $3 per liter
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

LaudJohn wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:25 pm
michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 am My ex-girlfriend told me I am too poor for her. I make most of my income from a trust that my father left me after he died. The only stipulation on my income is that I am not allowed to get married. My income is $1300.00 a month. $1500 if you count the interest on my savings account and treasury bonds. I tend to be a homebody and I do not like drinking, going to clubs or being around people often. I usually sleep all day and play video games all night. I will work on occasion mainly because I get bored and need excitement. My idea of socializing is to go to the local Chinese or Russian restaurant to practice Chinese or Russian. I tend to cook my meals at home whenever possible. I like making homemade pizzas, bread, cakes, pastries, sodas, candy, and soap. Once a month I might go to a bar for an hour or two. Then I get bored and go home. when i was with my girlfriend I would take her out places whenever she would insist.
For the most part, my bills would be rent, utilities, food, and the internet. The main addiction I have is milk. I get irritable if I have not drunk at least a liter of milk in the morning.
For me in PP
Daily 10 Beers $390 p/m
Visa $25pm
Petrol for moto $15pm

Total $1460 p/m

cook at home and drink less alcohol than I do (not easy in PP) and you will save $400 on this easily. Dont play golf, save an additional$400 p/m, (but have no reason to live).

That's an amazing breakdown.

Do you mind saying which area of PP you live in?
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

Most women don't especially care for grown men spending hours on the Playstation - kind of a turn off, regardless of income.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

LaudJohn wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:25 pm For me in PP...
This sounds like a pretty nice way to spend retirement. Well done, sir. Well done.
One thing I'll appreciate when I get back to the western world is playing pool or golf(only occasionally for me) and drinking scotch and craft beer. Good times. At least the scotch is cheap here. It's so much more expensive in the US. Cheers. :beer3:
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm
LaudJohn wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:25 pm
For me in PP
Daily 10 Beers $390 p/m
Visa $25pm
Petrol for moto $15pm

Total $1460 p/m

That's an amazing breakdown.

Do you mind saying which area of PP you live in?
I am currently living close to Orussey Market

my monthly budget tends to be
335 per month for housing
76 per month for ice cream
92 per month on Chinese Dumplings
30 per month on Tsingtao beer( I love Chinese beer)
30 per month on Vodka
70 per month on apple juice
70 per month on cranberry juice.
50 per month on milk
90 per month on Pizza
20 per month on soda.
50 per month on therapy sessions
20 per month on dental
10 per month on a mail forwarding service in the usa.
30 per month on official fees
Priceless per month on practicing Chinese with the Chinese waitresses at the Chinese Restaurant i get dumplings at.( i love Chinese people. Thinks I should marry a Chinese woman)
As my income is 1400. I am usually left with 400. If i had a place to do my own cooking I would drastically reduce the amount of money i spend eating pizza , ice cream, and dumplings.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic