What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: What is a decent income for living in Cambodia?

Post by newkidontheblock »

michael.stewart1 wrote:...I can start accumulating assets in Russia where I dream about acquiring citizenship. To be honest I would rather have a Russian woman dominate me than a Khmer one.
Here’s the solution as I see it.

Your Khmer girlfriend is clearly a rental for you. Please let her know this and can work out an agreeable rental fee per month, as well as a expectations for both parties.

She needs to know that you will dump her in the end and will marry a Russian girl. She needs to know that she has no future with you.

It will be hard to do, but it’s the right thing to do.

Sorry for the super harsh delivery.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:32 am

She needs to know that you will dump her in the end and will marry a Russian girl. She needs to know that she has no future with you.

He's never been to Russia and as far as we know he has never even met a Russian woman. He may have weird dreams about Russia but that doesn't mean they will ever happen.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:43 pm What kind of trust fund has a prohibition on marriage? That is a very bizarre clause, what is the reason for it?
Perhaps a rich guy died who hated the institution of marriage. Maybe he assumed, "If my son gets married, it will just end in divorce with the wife taking half his money, so I'd rather that my money goes to my brother else once my son marries."

Or in olden times someone might say "I want my daughter to have income until she's married and then all my money goes to the church."

But I'm also curious, michael.stewart1, who gets the money if you marry and why?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:53 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:43 pm What kind of trust fund has a prohibition on marriage? That is a very bizarre clause, what is the reason for it?
Perhaps a rich guy died who hated the institution of marriage. Maybe he assumed, "If my son gets married, it will just end in divorce with the wife taking half his money, so I'd rather that my money goes to my brother else once my son marries."

Or in olden times someone might say "I want my daughter to have income until she's married and then all my money goes to the church."

But I'm also curious, michael.stewart1, who gets the money if you marry and why?
It could also be that whoever set up the trust fund with that lien, also knew that boyo was incapable of making good life decisions, and put in the caveat so that (they hoped) he wouldn't squander it all on a poorly decided spouse??? It seems so far, that those trust-fund decisions were , shall we say, prescient??
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

WildA wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:36 am

Dude you are a rich kid english teacher who apparently not live without some Asian chick by your side to make you feel manly because you were born with a silver spoon in your gob and thats all you know. Ditch the babe and go back to the states and go lay some pipe or do construction for a year or two. Even better, join the Marines. Learn what its like in the world. Then maybe you wont be whinging about some Asian chick that pushes you around and wants an allowance.
Rich kid born with a silver spoon in his gob? He gets $1300 a month. He could have been the only child of very middle class parents who saved some money and bought a modest hom ein the 1980's and who died with a net worth of $500,000 - $600,000 left to him. That's not the life of a rich kid.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:14 am
WildA wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:36 am

Dude you are a rich kid english teacher who apparently not live without some Asian chick by your side to make you feel manly because you were born with a silver spoon in your gob and thats all you know. Ditch the babe and go back to the states and go lay some pipe or do construction for a year or two. Even better, join the Marines. Learn what its like in the world. Then maybe you wont be whinging about some Asian chick that pushes you around and wants an allowance.
Rich kid born with a silver spoon in his gob? He gets $1300 a month. He could have been the only child of very middle class parents who saved some money and bought a modest hom ein the 1980's and who died with a net worth of $500,000 - $600,000 left to him. That's not the life of a rich kid.
Better check your numbers using correct interst rates.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

WildA wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 am Better check your numbers using correct interst rates.
$600,000 could be paid out at $1300 a month for 38 years with 0% interest.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:34 am
WildA wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 am Better check your numbers using correct interst rates.
$600,000 could be paid out at $1300 a month for 38 years with 0% interest.
Real Trust funds usually dont pay principle monthly, but rather, the pricincipal is paid when the trust terminates,among other things. They pay interest. Try that calculation at like 4% interest like a substantial trust fun would generate.

Regardless, Starting off life with even 600K in the bank skews ones worldview
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 amTurkish would be useful as I plan to travel to all the -stan countries within the next 5 years.
most stan countries communicate with other nationalities in russian, i think
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Got bad news for you.

No Russian woman is interested in dominating a wuss. They like real men. They expect you to drink and swear and work hard and fix things. Don't do any of those four things then forget it.

To answer your original question. Don't forget a decent income includes good medical insurance. If your living in your GF house that she owns then something in the $1500 a month neighborhood would be comfortable for the two of you. You could go out to eat occasionally, buy her gifts occasionally, travel every once in a while and generally not have to be overly concerned about money.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic