Still Digging Up UXOs in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Still Digging Up UXOs in Cambodia

Post by Arget »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:22 am Policeman Finds Grenades and Bullets in the Garden
Cambodia News, (Siem Reap Province): Unexploded ordnance were found by a police officer at 8:30am on July 17, 2021, in Trapeang Ses Village, Sangkat Kork Chak, Siem Reap City.

According to the report received by the Siem Reap Provincial Police on July 18, 2021, there were more than 30 grenades and bullets found at the site. After finding and recovering all the grenades and bullets, the specialized police force reported to the officers of the 4th Mine Action Unit of Siem Reap Province to take them away to be destroyed.
AND he got his garden dug up for free... :beer3: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

One boy killed, two wounded in UXO explosion in Kampong Thom
Ry Sochan | Publication date 09 October 2021 | 10:58 ICT
A child was killed and two other injured when unexploded ordnance (UXO) units they were playing with went off in Sala Visay commune of Kampong Thom province’s Prasat Balang district on October 9, according to Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) director Heng Ratana.

Ratana said that before the incident, the three boys found a number of mortar shells while tending to their cows. They picked them up and pounded them, causing an explosion.

He urged the general public to help spread the word to their children about the dangers of mines and explosive remnants of war.

“If you come across any UXO units, please don’t touch them and report to our CMAC team or the nearest local authorities so that we collect them timely,” Ratana said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... mpong-thom
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

I was reading a few years back where a US WWII veteran was using a souvenir 20mm AA shell he brought back as a nail punch until he finally got HIS ticket punched! Sometimes you just can't fix or grow out of stupid!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

There is news out there that may not be too apparent, or it just may get overlooked.

GUEST BLOG FROM THE SIR BOBBY CHARLTON FOUNDATION

It became apparent in the early weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic that the only pathway to conquering this global crisis was via a global solution. No country, government or organisation would be able to combat this omnipotent threat in isolation. More than ever before we needed to put aside any tendencies toward protectionism and self-interest by working together in partnership and for the common good.

It was with this sense of urgency and collaboration in mind that The Sir Bobby Charlton Foundation (SBCF) in Cambodia signed a joint agreement in April with both The HALO Trust and The Cambodian Mine Action Authority (CMAA) with the aim of leveraging skills, resources and funding to provide a swift and effective response to the emerging crisis in the region. With western nations struggling to deal with COVID-19 despite advanced healthcare systems and robust economies, our concerns were growing for countries lacking the infrastructure and economic stability to cope as the pandemic began to take hold.

The co-ordinated campaign was to focus on the delivery of food parcels and hygiene kits to vulnerable communities as well as the dissemination of information to raise awareness of the virus and preventative measures to mitigate risk.

Distributing vital supplies to remote villages

Six weeks since the signing of the joint agreement and the partnership has delivered over 1,394 hygiene and food parcels including;

2000 kg of jasmine rice
2,160 bars of soap
2,500 surgical face masks
2,000 cans of crane fish
300 litres hand sanitiser

‘In times of crisis, it is essential that NGO’s work together in empathy and solidarity to provide the best possible support for beneficiaries, putting aside separate organisational objectives and agendas. The Sir Bobby Charlton Foundation was more than happy to provide funding for The HALO Trust’s COVID-19 emergency relief project in Cambodia, in the knowledge that a co-ordinated response would result in more meaningful support for those in the greatest need."
Lou McGrath, CEO, The Sir Bobby Charlton Foundation

The joint initiative has highlighted the complementary skillsets of the two organisations, which we hope to build on through an ongoing collaborative partnership. Whilst The HALO Trust is known predominantly for its outstanding expertise in the clearance of landmines and unexploded remnants of war, we at The Sir Bobby Charlton Foundation focus on supporting victims of conflict through both physical and psychological rehabilitation on a holistic level. Our centre in Pursat province, for example, provides support for the disabled through both physiotherapy and the development of vocational skills to help rebuild livelihoods torn apart by the horrors of conflict.

‘The COVID-19 pandemic is a shared crisis and calls for a shared response. Working in partnership with our friends at The HALO Trust and the CMAA has allowed us to better protect the poorest families in Cambodia against this unprecedented threat. The initiative has highlighted the importance of NGOs working together in times of crisis to pool resources and unite in a common cause; saving lives and preventing longer-term suffering in the communities we serve.’
Rothna Buth, Sir Bobby Charlton Foundation, Country Director, Cambodia
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Nearly 20,000 people killed by mines, UXOs since ‘79
Publication date 17 October 2021 | 20:19 ICT

Since January 1979 to September 2021, there were more than 60,000 people falling victim to explosive ordnances – over 50,000 to landmines and more than 10,000 to explosive remnants of war (ERW) – with nearly 20,000 killed.

According to a report released by the Cambodian Mine Action Authority (CMAA), there were a total of 64,954 victims during the period – 51,145 were victims of landmines and another 13,809 of ERW.

Of the total, 19,807 were killed, 36,080 injured and 9,067 disabled.

Among them were 52,619 male victims, or 81 per cent; 6,087 boys under 18 years old; 4,792 women; 1,393 girls under the age of 18; and 63 unidentified victims.

From January of this year to September, there were 28 explosive ordnance accidents resulting in 34 deaths and injuries. The casualties decreased by 38 per cent over the same period last year, when there were 55 victims.

Of the 34 victims, 19 suffered from landmines and 15 from ERW, with 10 killed, 18 injured and six paralysed. Among the 34 victims were 29 men, four boys under the age of 18 and one woman.

CMAA said that for the first nine months of this year, the Cambodia Mine Victim Information System team disseminated education messages about the risk of explosive ordnance to 3,124 people living in areas of high risk. It had also provided information on the location of 89 munitions to mine operators to remove and destroy them.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... es-uxos-79
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

42 years on, and there still causing death and injuries like when they were first laid, now the main risk is to innocent civilians, and of course to the dedicated de-miners of the organisations who are trying to make sure the land is safe once more.
With so many mines laid over the years of war, and 42 years of daily dedication of detection and disarmament makes one wonder what was in the minds of the people who gave the order to lay these most armful weapons, they were never thinking of today.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 pm 42 years on, and there still causing death and injuries like when they were first laid, now the main risk is to innocent civilians, and of course to the dedicated de-miners of the organisations who are trying to make sure the land is safe once more.
With so many mines laid over the years of war, and 42 years of daily dedication of detection and disarmament makes one wonder what was in the minds of the people who gave the order to lay these most armful weapons, they were never thinking of today.
I'm not sure what you mean by 42 years on. Sure, the article mentions deaths since 1979 but that's because they only have records since then. They were laying mines long before then and most were laid after. The mid 80s saw millions of mines laid during the K5 program, and the so-called "resistance forces" were trained by western military in the late 80s to mine footpaths and farms to deny areas those areas to citizens who were working with the government. The war continued through the 90s and both government and Khmer Rouge forces used mines to defend their perimeters and sabotage their enemy. That war only ended in 1998. Then the Thai border conflict led to more mines being laid in border areas, that was only a decade ago. There are legitimate uses for mines in warfare, the problem is that badly trained military/guerrilla forces don't always bother keeping maps and records and it's anyone's guess where they have been left.
There used to be hundreds of deaths and injuries every year in Cambodia, the rate has declined dramatically over the past decade so I think it's fair to say that CMAC and other demining agencies have been doing a good job. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:57 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 pm 42 years on, and there still causing death and injuries like when they were first laid, now the main risk is to innocent civilians, and of course to the dedicated de-miners of the organisations who are trying to make sure the land is safe once more.
I'm not sure what you mean by 42 years on. Sure, the article mentions deaths since 1979 but that's because they only have records since then. They were laying mines long before then and most were laid after. The mid 80s saw millions of mines laid during the K5 program, and the so-called "resistance forces" were trained by western military in the late 80s to mine footpaths and farms to deny areas those areas to citizens who were working with the government. The war continued through the 90s and both government and Khmer Rouge forces used mines to defend their perimeters and sabotage their enemy. That war only ended in 1998. Then the Thai border conflict led to more mines being laid in border areas, that was only a decade ago. There are legitimate uses for mines in warfare, the problem is that badly trained military/guerrilla forces don't always bother keeping maps and records and it's anyone's guess where they have been left.
There used to be hundreds of deaths and injuries every year in Cambodia, the rate has declined dramatically over the past decade so I think it's fair to say that CMAC and other demining agencies have been doing a good job. 8-)
Yes, for sure I meant on the whole, but it's not because like you said about the lack of records and also the many different conflicts over those years. But many or most conflicts saw more mines with the aim causing deaths or injuries, at the time the to their cause, other side was that of the enemy.
The K5 being one, or the most heavily mined areas on the Thai-Cambodian border. I think over the years many parts have been de-mind, but still a dangerous area like other parts of the country, but to think migrant workers cross those dangerous areas on a daily basis.
I read something a little while ago, but now I can't find the article too put the reference. I think it was Halo de-miners who were out working in the field, and tested for covid, some turned out to be positive.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News (Kampong Chhnang): On 28 December 2021, the authorities unearthed and diffused 7 old unexploded ordnances, which presented a danger to the local population, in Tuol Roka village, Melum commune, Boribo district, Kampong Chhnang province. Boribo District Police Force cooperated with the CMAC (Cambodia Mine Action Centre) to diffuse the old unexploded ordnances and store them safely pending further destruction.
According to CMAC officials, the 7 unexploded ordnances collected included 1 bomb dropped from by air bombers, 5 rounds of M.79, and 1 60 mm pill casing. CMAC officials said the unexploded ordnances had been buried in the ground since the end of the war.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Farmer's Lucky Escape!
Cambodia News, Battambang: In Battambang province, a farmer had a lucky escape when some mines were turned up as he was plowing a field at Oom Thom village, Phnom Prek commune, Battambang.
The tractor driver got the fright of his life when he saw that he had unearthed some unexploded mines that were buried in a field that he plows every year. The mines had been buried for some time, but this was the first time that the 60-year-old farmer, Sok Ny, had seen any sign of their presence. He immediately informed the village chief.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic