Still Digging Up UXOs in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Still Digging Up UXOs in Cambodia

Post by AndyKK »

Donor Community To Continue Supporting Cambodia's Mine Clearance Efforts
Release Date June 30, 2021
AKP Phnom Penh, June 30, 2021 -

Donor community will continue supporting Cambodia in mine clearance through Clearing for Result-Mine Action for Human Development project in order to end threats posed by landmines by 2025.

The continued support was underlined by Senior Minister and First Vice President of Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) HE Ly Thuch, after a board meeting of Clearing for Results Phase IV (CFR-4), held via Videoconference this morning.

Representatives of the Ministry of Economy and Finance, donor countries and development partners including the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), Australia, the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA), and New Zealand attended the virtual meeting.

HE Ly Thuch expressed his gratitude to the donor community for their continued contribution with the Royal Government of Cambodia in the US $ 20 million CFR-4 project for six years, from 2020 to 2025.

The senior minister also informed the meeting about the efforts and attention of the Royal Government of Cambodia to the preparation of Mine Free Village Guideline, which will be piloted in Kep province, and the result will be presented in the CFR's board meeting later this year before launching the project nationwide.

Besides the donors in the CFR-4, Cambodia's mine clearance efforts have been also supported by other donors such as the US, the United Kingdom, Japan, Norway, China, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland, UNDP and UNICEF as well as Civil Society Fund and philanthropists.

As of June this year, the Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC) destroyed 1,103,192 anti-personnel mines, 25,603 anti-tank mines, and 2,909,764 explosive remnants, thus clearing 2,221 square kilometers of mine-contaminated area and benefiting 3,335,686 households. The Kingdom's goal is to become a mine-free nation by 2025.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UXO Accident Statistics Improved in 2021
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): It has been announced that the number of UXO victims in 2021, (from January to June), has decreased by 32 % compared to the same period in 2020.
There have been 26 UXO accidents recorded for the first half of this year, compared to 38 for the first half of 2020.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I would hope and expect the accidents and casualties to decrees in numbers due to less UXOs being underfoot, that are being removed by the work of dedicated de-miners, also not forgetting the countries donating world class funding to bring this painstaking ordeal to an end.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

More Than 400 Grenades Dug Up From Sidewalk Outside Siem Reap School

Ouch Sony and Pork Ponleu | Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:15 pm

A cable company digging around a Siem Reap high school fence found a cache of old unexploded grenades, alerting demining experts who have since recovered more than 400 grenades from the site.

The location was understood to be a munitions storehouse during the Khmer Rouge era, and soldiers had likely buried the grenades there, officials said. The grenades were still full of powder, and could have exploded if disturbed, they said, as one parent in the neighborhood spoke of concerns about sending her child to the school next term.

Full story: https://vodenglish.news/more-than-400-g ... ap-school/
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Policeman Finds Grenades and Bullets in the Garden
Cambodia News, (Siem Reap Province): Unexploded ordnance were found by a police officer at 8:30am on July 17, 2021, in Trapeang Ses Village, Sangkat Kork Chak, Siem Reap City.

According to the report received by the Siem Reap Provincial Police on July 18, 2021, there were more than 30 grenades and bullets found at the site. After finding and recovering all the grenades and bullets, the specialized police force reported to the officers of the 4th Mine Action Unit of Siem Reap Province to take them away to be destroyed.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

16 UXOs Removed Safely In Kompong Chhnang By CMAC
Cambodia News (Kompong Chhnang Province): On July 20, 2021, Kompong Trolach district police and the CMAC successfully and safely removed 16 warheads, two 82 millimeters, four M78 millimeters, six 60 millimeters, one 105 millimeters, and three 107 millimeters in Kompong Trolach district.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News, Battambang: On 15 August 2021, construction workers, who were digging behind a house while installing a bathroom for a 75-year-old woman, came across some buried UXOs.
The workers call in the experts from CMAC, who removed 14 UXOs from the site.
ImageImage

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

It's astounding and scary that they keep turning up in chance discoveries like this.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News, (Pailin Province): At 11: 40am on Wednesday, September 15, 2021, a SIMAC unit notified the Office of Explosive Weapons that a Pailin farmer alerted local officials that he had found an UXO on his land among some tree roots.
Currently, the unit has taken the device away to be destroyed in a safe place.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

^^ Do they really hammer those red signs into the ground right next to UXOs, where there could be more even just buried right there?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic