Discussion on the current unprecedented events worldwide, Is this what fascism looks like?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Discussion on the current unprecedented events worldwide, Is this what fascism looks like?

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:27 am I think you're probably on the wrong forum for that kinda shit, dude.
I am not, while trying to find rumors on potential lockdown in phnom penh, I could clearly see people are interested by the current event taking place world-wide. Then if it is not lack of interest, is it because people aren't likely to share my opinion?
Looking for echo-chambers is the worst thing one can do if he wishes to stay honest and sharpen it's own critical thinking and view of the world.
I am not sure if this is what you meant by your comment, but if it is, and you are really advising me to go onto forums which are more likely to enact as an echo-chamber for my vision of things, I think you are giving a dangerous advice that neither you nor anyone else should follow.

I usually go out and express myself among my community, this forum is the closest thing available to this natural behavior as an expatriate who lives in phnom penh, in those times where most places outside are closed.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Discussion on the current unprecedented events worldwide, Is this what fascism looks like?

Post by Captain Bonez »

404FreedomNotFound wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:34 am
Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:27 am I think you're probably on the wrong forum for that kinda shit, dude.
I am not, while trying to find rumors on potential lockdown in phnom penh, I could clearly see people are interested by the current event taking place world-wide. Then if it is not lack of interest, is it because people aren't likely to share my opinion?
Looking for echo-chambers is the worst thing one can do if he wishes to stay honest and sharpen it's own critical thinking and view of the world.
I am not sure if this is what you meant by your comment, but if it is, and you are really advising me to go onto forums which are more likely to enact as an echo-chamber for my vision of things, I think you are giving a dangerous advice that neither you nor anyone else should follow.

I usually go out and express myself among my community, this forum is the closest thing available to this natural behavior as an expatriate who lives in phnom penh, in those times where most places outside are closed.
It seems most people and mods are telling you to STFU

So maybe think again?
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:38 am It seems most people and mods are telling you to STFU

So maybe think again?
Due to my inexperience on online forums, my post were initially hurting the overall visibility of already existing threads. I have also been advised not to talk about loopholes in khmer law, which I stopped doing, even though it was pointed out the mods might have been doing it themselves. Regardless I am making my best to adapt myself to the rules of this forum, and what makes it a successful forum.
Looking at all the admins and creator of this forum rather than looking at mods, and looking at a major part of the community as well, it appears very clear that freedom of opinion is respected, and that many people on this forum are firm believer in the first american amendment, Freedom of speech.

I am talking of a topic which members are interested about. I do my best to comply with the form and readability of the forum and to respect it's rules. I do not insult people and am as respectful as I can of everyone.
If Opinion is all it comes down to, the admins, mods and most of the community would agree that this is the type of forum they wish for this to be. A forum where people respect one another, adapt themselves over time in order to respect other thread readability and topics, try to keep toxicity to a minimum, and where freedom of opinion is encouraged.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Let's bite the bait...

Fascism, to me, beetween other things, would include national preference for providing healthcare in such times, and taking advantage by everyway of strangers beiing in the wrong position for good reasons.
It's not the case ? Then it's probably not fascism.
I heard things are pretty heavy to cope with in Thailand, but i still don't think it's fascist. But i'm not familiar with it, so...
Duterte has just one answer to solve every problem, bang bang. Some other leaders are not looking particularly bright.

I didn't say leaders won't try to take as much advantage as possible due to given situations, but maybe not as deep in the ass than, say, the patriot act, when it comes about personal freedom, on the long term.

This is probably not the best time to read again 1984 after a pipe of meth without AC on overstay if you are bipolar, and stucked in another country that is for sure. Don't force it.

Just to make the conversation.
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

@Ghostwriter
Thanks for posting your view on things, and not insulting me. You nailed it with 1984 but not with the drugs nor the mental issues.
I am not stuck in cambodia either by any means and this is still one of the best places to be so far with this crisis, and I have been an expat here for a long time, just not spending time on online forums.

Your comments on fascism are very interesting, I guess calling all those anti-freedom and extra surveillance etc... fascism is not the exact term.

I think that above government taking advantage of this, I have to plead guilty on that one of being a dirty conspiratorialist that also fear of how international institutions like the FMI will take advantage of it. Which may have lead me to use this word "fascism" at an international scale. Which indeed might just be a misuse of the word, and which are anyway nothing more than conspiracies when it comes to that.

As for personal freedoms, I can only hope I am paranoiac as fuck, and that you are right.

Thank you for bringing a level-headed comment to this thread.
Last edited by 404FreedomNotFound on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:11 am This is probably not the best time to read again 1984 after a pipe of meth without AC on overstay if you are bipolar, and stucked in another country that is for sure. Don't force it.
lol I remember going crazy in Kampot one time from the humidity alone in April. I would have been totally fucked if those other things were piled on on top of that. Stay cool everyone! :D
"You can't teach the beast. It's either in you or it isn't. You can't just go to the store and buy a six-pack of beast. It don't work like that." — Kevin Garnett
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

3'25" :
"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put it into a bottle it becomes the bottle,
You put it into a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow,
Water can crash.
Be water my friend."

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:09 am Yeah, who the hell wants to read all that for fuck's sake? Have you run out of meds or something?
No, he has been enjoying his ability to break the law in Cmbodia nd smoking too much weed. Fuks your head
ParadiSAeidae
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by ParadiSAeidae »

^^^ Do you think any user should be allowed to post 90 times in their first week?
Fifteen posts per day seems a bit rich.
I am sorry, its too much even for my little brain to take in.
Locked Previous topicNext topic