UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by God'sGift »

Piers Corbyn is basically correct in his ideas - the virus IS a hoax! Yes, it exists, but so does the flu and the cold, TB, Malaria etc. yet NO lockdown - the lockdown is the true hoax here.

The Establishment have been clearly willing and pleased to portray Piers Corbyn here, give him airtime etc. as he bolsters their false actions - make a crank the spokesperson for the opposition and the population at large will still keep on drinking the lockdown cool-aid.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Well, the virus is evidently not a hoax, it exists and if you get is bad it makes you pretty sick.

But it is not the new Black Death and the government panicked when it believed wholesale that prize prick Professor Neil Ferguson (who later broke the lockdown panic he created because he wanted a shag). The true number was about 50K and could of been a lot less if they hadn't sent infected people back to care homes (criminally negligent of the NHS in my view) and better treatment protocols where known. All that has now changed (hopefully).

That rabble at the weekend were a proper bunch of cranks, the David Icke gang, the antivaxxers of all stripes, conspiracy theorists, gold as money gang and.... the anti-lockdown group. The government is more than happy that the anti-lockdowners are bundled in with the rest.

I don't think the people will tolerate another full scale lockdown. I think people realise that the economy is in serious peril and know that another 6 or 8 weeks off inactivity will send it into a tailspin. I think people, especially the under 50's - who will be the people actually paying for this debacle for the rest of their lives will not double down of the first mistake.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Hey, our little parochial thread, created through a deep need and desire to find something useful to do in the morning during the early days of the UK lockdown, has just reached 100 pages.

Who would of thought we had so much to say! :D

Let's keep it going...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Coronavirus: gatherings of more than six to be banned in England

This was just a guidance with gatherings of above 30 being the point when a crime is committed. However, cases are rising alarmingly and this was announced late last night.
The government has announced emergency action to try to stem a feared autumn resurgence of coronavirus, tightening laws to ban virtually all gatherings of more than six people in England.

Amid concerns that the current rules are both widely misunderstood and too difficult for police to implement, Boris Johnson will hold a hastily arranged Downing Street press conference on Wednesday to outline the new restrictions.

The dramatic change of approach by No 10 follows a sudden rise in the number of people being infected with the virus, with almost 8,500 positive tests being recorded in England in the last three days.
Here's the infection chart for the UK. Not looking too good and still testing is sporadic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... in-england
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

the pointlessness of all these mini locdowns - all they are doing is aiding the virus. Slows down slightly then it comes back , has no value - should just let it take its course naturally as the end result will be the same
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

God'sGift wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:27 pm the pointlessness of all these mini locdowns - all they are doing is aiding the virus. Slows down slightly then it comes back , has no value - should just let it take its course naturally as the end result will be the same
i don't get why denialists still don't get it
I'm not a fan of lockdowns, but the logic is quit clear, the end result will not be the same

just like delaying an oncoming army by funneling them through a narrow passage
you are not overwhelmed, and you buy time to improve your methods

there was a study recently showing conclusively that vitamin D all but eliminated the need for ICU (and by extension, death) from covid
i think it will become an inconvenient, but manageable disease, long before there is a vaccine

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:32 pm
God'sGift wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:27 pm the pointlessness of all these mini locdowns - all they are doing is aiding the virus. Slows down slightly then it comes back , has no value - should just let it take its course naturally as the end result will be the same
i don't get why denialists still don't get it
I'm not a fan of lockdowns, but the logic is quit clear, the end result will not be the same

just like delaying an oncoming army by funneling them through a narrow passage
you are not overwhelmed, and you buy time to improve your methods

there was a study recently showing conclusively that vitamin D all but eliminated the need for ICU (and by extension, death) from covid
i think it will become an inconvenient, but manageable disease, long before there is a vaccine
Got a source? I'm interested in that. Might be why Cambodia escaped the worst of it.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:07 pm Got a source? I'm interested in that. Might be why Cambodia escaped the worst of it.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6020302764
Of 50 patients treated with calcifediol, one required admission to the ICU (2%), while of 26 untreated patients, 13 required admission (50%) p value X2 Fischer test p < 0.001.

monstra mihi bona!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 am Well, the virus is evidently not a hoax, it exists and if you get is bad it makes you pretty sick.

But it is not the new Black Death and the government panicked when it believed wholesale that prize prick Professor Neil Ferguson (who later broke the lockdown panic he created because he wanted a shag). The true number was about 50K and could of been a lot less if they hadn't sent infected people back to care homes (criminally negligent of the NHS in my view) and better treatment protocols where known. All that has now changed (hopefully).

That rabble at the weekend were a proper bunch of cranks, the David Icke gang, the antivaxxers of all stripes, conspiracy theorists, gold as money gang and.... the anti-lockdown group. The government is more than happy that the anti-lockdowners are bundled in with the rest.

I don't think the people will tolerate another full scale lockdown. I think people realise that the economy is in serious peril and know that another 6 or 8 weeks off inactivity will send it into a tailspin. I think people, especially the under 50's - who will be the people actually paying for this debacle for the rest of their lives will not double down of the first mistake.
And then we have this - (I had posted this on it's own thread)

New British department designed to ‘maximise’ local aid assistance

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50761340/n ... ssistance/

With what you have posted - who will be the people actually paying for this debacle for the rest of their lives, and what of our government helping its own people at this time, also they ignore their own people who need help here in Cambodia, saying it or they are not responsible. It seems that the British government don't want to help people that are of the country (tax payers), home and away, but will help other nationalities regardless.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Boris Johnson pinning hopes on £100bn 'moonshot' to avoid second lockdown

I get the feeling that, behind the curtain, serious concern bordering on panic is now setting in. While everyone has enjoyed a summer of relative freedom, the numbers are now looking pretty grim and so too is the whole of Europe.
For all the graphs of recent infection rates for Europe see: the-rest-the-world/europe-relapsing-bac ... 40459.html
Spoiler:
They are really bad
Boris Johnson believes a mass testing programme is “our only hope for avoiding a second national lockdown before a vaccine”, according to leaked official documents setting out plans for “Operation Moonshot”.

The prime minister is said to be pinning his hopes on a project that would deliver up to 10m tests a day – even though the current testing regime is struggling to deliver a fraction of that number and is beset by problems.

The documents say the “Mass Population Testing Plan” could cost £100bn – the equivalent to the UK’s entire education budget.

In a gloomy assessment of the deteriorating position, England’s chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, said the recent rise in positive cases was a matter of huge concern.

He also admitted the period “between now and spring is going to be difficult” and said the public should expect the new measures to be in place for a number of months – raising fears they may not be lifted before the new year.

This is what is causing them so much concern

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... apers-show
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic