UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by hburns »

How long before British aren't allowed into other countries again?

Hoping this new variant is going to be less dangerous so all this can be over. Who cares if it becomes super contagious as long as it becomes weaker in its effects?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hburns wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:36 pm How long before British aren't allowed into other countries again?

Hoping this new variant is going to be less dangerous so all this can be over. Who cares if it becomes super contagious as long as it becomes weaker in its effects?
I heard on the radio this morning that in the last two weeks,10,000 people have arrived directly from South Africa, all with minimal testing by day 2 and day 8 (something like that) and they are essentially free to roam. Two aircraft arriving from South Africa into Amsterdam* had all the passengers tested; 60 out of 600 were positive. Those maths are not encouraging.

This thing is well and truly in the UK and the governments response so far is to "tighten up" the rules on make mask wearing on all public transport and shops, but not hospitality. And from Monday. And only if you're not 'exempt'. Laughable.

Because there is (was) a lot of traffic between the UK and South Africa, so the UK is likely to bear the brunt of this initially, but it will go everywhere eventually.

The next month will be interesting...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/pa ... uxbndlbing
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm sure I'll be lambasted for being overly dramatic, but this is like living through a mass extinction event in slow motion.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:26 am I'm sure I'll be lambasted for being overly dramatic, but this is like living through a mass extinction event in slow motion.
You might be right...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:57 am
xandreu wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:26 am I'm sure I'll be lambasted for being overly dramatic, but this is like living through a mass extinction event in slow motion.
You might be right...
I will second that. Thing is once again British scientists detect yet another variant, good at their work. But then the powers that be don't know what, or how to act on the situation.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:26 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:57 am
You might be right...
I will second that. Thing is once again British scientists detect yet another variant, good at their work. But then the powers that be don't know what, or how to act on the situation.
I think it was the South Africans that detected this one. Unfortunately, South Africa's biggest overseas tourist numbers come from Britain so there has been a lot of travel between the two countries. Reminds me of India and the 900 plus people a day that flew from India to Britain while the Delta variant was introducing itself to the world. It's almost like Britain can't stand any country having something unless Britain has it also.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

There seems to be a few scientists coming out now saying that the world is over-reacting and that as far as they can tell, it appears that that the symptoms of this latest variant may even be milder than previous variants. They were interviewing a top medic in S. Africa on the radio last night and she was saying that none of the patients she has been treating with new variant have serious symptoms and she doesn't know any of her colleagues who have come across anyone with serious symptoms either.

Of course this could be due to many factors, such as the health of the people who have been infected, and it doesn't necessarily mean anything at this stage. It's still early days and a lot more research needs to be done but the medic they were speaking to was quite adamant that the world needed to calm down a little as there is no real evidence yet that this variant is as deadly as some media outlets and governments are insinuating.

Here's hoping...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Meanwhile, just as the British PM announces a new "war on drugs"...

Speaker voices ‘deep concern’ at reports of drug-taking in Parliament
A senior MP said sniffer dogs may have to be brought in to Westminster to check for banned substances.
Gavin Cordon
19 hours ago

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle is to raise reports of drug misuse in Parliament with the police “as a priority”.

Sir Lindsay described reports that traces of cocaine had been found in areas of the Palace of Westminster accessible only to people with parliamentary passes as “deeply concerning”.

In a statement, he said that he expected to see “full and effective enforcement of the law” on the parliamentary estate.

Separately, another senior MP suggested sniffer dogs may have to be brought in to check for banned substances.

A report in the Sunday Times said detection wipes had found traces of cocaine in 11 out of 12 locations tested amid claims of casual use of the class A drug by a group of MPs.

The paper said that Commons officials received reports last month that cannabis could be smelt in the open space between Portcullis House and 1 Parliament Street.

The report came as the Government was about to launch a new crackdown on drug use with its 10-year drugs strategy.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/l ... 70280.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:40 am Meanwhile, just as the British PM announces a new "war on drugs"...

Speaker voices ‘deep concern’ at reports of drug-taking in Parliament
At least this helps to explain the complete incompetence of the government.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I doubt if that is the cause. ^^
It's more like the Brits, whatever their class, whatever they say - have too strong an inherited inner need to have ruling class toffs running the show.

I reckon this absurd approach to drugs probably stems directly from his Uni days.
Some of his pals would have been enticed into exactly this "country line" style of middle class dealing - so he thinks he knows all about the drug trade.
And his crowd were probably all occasional Class A snorters, at least - so the idea of the cops calling up all the customers from the dealers contact lists and giving them a stern talking-to and sending them off to counselling seems very fair and reasonable.

Ludicrous - who voted for this obvious court jester/clown?
I hope he doesn't send any war ships over to this side of he world. (seriously)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic