UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by Doc67 »

Police find bitcoin mine using stolen electricity in West Midlands

They thought they had found a cannabis farm but got a shock when they found nothing but computers whirring away. The operators where bypassing the electricity meter, a ubiquitous skillset to aspect to any self-respecting cannabis grower.

What is interesting is the energy these mining activities, and the whole of the Bitcoin network consumes;

The soaring energy usage is regularly criticised. Most credible estimates suggest the bitcoin network uses as much energy as countries the size of Norway or Argentina.

Anyway, here's the story.

Officers from West Midlands police raided a building in an industrial estate on 18 May expecting to find a cannabis farm, but instead stumbled upon the cryptocurrency scheme. No arrests have been made.

Judging by the wiring they might want to keep an eye out for Cambodians.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... t-midlands
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hburns wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:34 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:47 am
Judging by the age of many of these people, they should already have been called up and jabbed. So why are they there for a 'No Questions Asked' vaccination? Looks like Border Force would have had a field day :D
Just the tip of the iceberg I think, that's just the Chinese community and only part of it at that. I think the south Asian community is even bigger. Just got to hope they trust that they won't get deported if they go for their vaccination.
They are better of taking that risk than ending up in hospital.

I think there is a very sizeable rump of people who have nothing to do with officialdom if they can help it(except the police from time to time) and make an artform of staying below the radar: no tax, no bank accounts, no oyster card, cash only taxis, no doctor, no driving licence, no google maps enabled (in fact no smartphones if possible - the old Nokia ones still fetch good money). Many are doing this because they are up to no good, many are illegal immigrants with rejected asylum claims and some are just common or garden nutters.

The thought of finding your NHS number and turning up at an allotted time and place is a big No-No. There are plenty of outstanding warrants out there too, but I doubt very much if the police would try and nab someone that way.

It's impossible to know the numbers, but it is a lot, hundreds of thousands, possibly a couple of million, and I reckon they are mostly in the heavily populated conurbations of England.

Unless they set up walk in clinics - like the STD ones - that ask no questions, these people will not get the vaccine. Even then many will still not get it.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:20 pm France imposes quarantine on UK travellers

Here's another one following Germany's lead last week.
the-rest-the-world/news-updates-and-dis ... -1470.html

Austria bans direct flights from the UK from 1st June. Give it a month and the UK might find itself up a gum tree. It will take all the pressure off Boris and this Green-Amber-Red list bullshit.

France has become the latest European country to introduce restrictions on UK tourists due to the spread of the Indian coronavirus variant.

The French government announced that from 31 May, anyone arriving from the UK must quarantine for seven days.

Germany imposed a two-week quarantine on UK arrivals last week. Austria has banned direct UK flights from 1 June.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57256859
Well, that didn't last long. France now open to vaccinated Brits. I suspect the tactic was, grab a headline but then quietly go into reverse. Too much money gets spent by Brits in France, Germany not so much.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... vaccinated
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

5 June 2021
Prof Stephen Reicher, a member of the Scientific Pandemic Insights Group on Behaviours, which advises the government, told the Press Association it would be “foolish” and a “major risk” to end restrictions this month.

“I think by the government’s own criteria it’s quite clear that it would be foolish to proceed on the data that we’ve got at the moment,” he said. “The risk would be very great indeed. Again, I make the point that it is about data not dates, and if you make it too much about the dates then you box yourself into a corner and I think that’s what the government has done.”

Office for National Statistics data on Friday suggested infection levels in England had risen by about 75% in a week, with 85,600 people thought to have had Covid in the week ending 29 May – or one in 640 people – compared with 48,500 the week before.

On Friday, the UK also recorded its highest number of new confirmed coronavirus cases in a single day since late March, at 6,238. The estimated R number for England is now 1.0 to 1.2, up from 1.0 to 1.1 last week.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-drawn-up
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:20 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:20 pm France imposes quarantine on UK travellers

Here's another one following Germany's lead last week.
the-rest-the-world/news-updates-and-dis ... -1470.html

Austria bans direct flights from the UK from 1st June. Give it a month and the UK might find itself up a gum tree. It will take all the pressure off Boris and this Green-Amber-Red list bullshit.

France has become the latest European country to introduce restrictions on UK tourists due to the spread of the Indian coronavirus variant.

The French government announced that from 31 May, anyone arriving from the UK must quarantine for seven days.

Germany imposed a two-week quarantine on UK arrivals last week. Austria has banned direct UK flights from 1 June.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57256859
Well, that didn't last long. France now open to vaccinated Brits. I suspect the tactic was, grab a headline but then quietly go into reverse. Too much money gets spent by Brits in France, Germany not so much.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... vaccinated
Yeah, I spotted that one. I posted it in another thread.

I was less concerned with France's big declaration with no follow through (nothing new there), but more interesting to me was France being the first EU country I know of prepared to recognise the NHS App as proof of vaccine status.

Unfortunately, while people might be able to get into France without too much difficulty, they will still have to go through the hoops when returning - testing - locator forms - isolation etc.

the-road/travelling-times-coronavirus-t36372-550.html
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

^
Good, let the buggers go to Skegness until the Frogs grovel for their custom. A complete summer season with low UK visitor numbers should be the trick.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:49 am ^
Good, let the buggers go to Skegness until the Frogs grovel for their custom. A complete summer season with low UK visitor numbers should be the trick.
If I was in the UK now and looking for somewhere to go for a couple of weeks in country, I would head up to Harrogate or Scarborough for their week long cricket festivals - great beer - proper fish and chips etc - 4 days will be enough. Plus at least 2 Air shows, with top notch B&B a day either side to avoid travel stress; there's another 6 days used up. Finally, a 4 day walking trip to Kent or Sussex with nightly pub crawls in small villages.

Where I would not go is boring bloody Cornwall. 6 Hours from my part of London to a village where some friends moved to. I could get to Brugge in less time so never went again.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:33 pm
If I was in the UK now and looking for somewhere to go for a couple of weeks in country, I would head up to Harrogate or Scarborough for their week long cricket festivals - great beer - proper fish and chips etc - 4 days will be enough. Plus at least 2 Air shows, with top notch B&B a day either side to avoid travel stress; there's another 6 days used up. Finally, a 4 day walking trip to Kent or Sussex with nightly pub crawls in small villages.

Where I would not go is boring bloody Cornwall. 6 Hours from my part of London to a village where some friends moved to. I could get to Brugge in less time so never went again.
I spent last weekend in Somerset. First time back there in 18'ish years. Over 5 hours to do less than 200 miles. Won't be doing it again in a hurry!!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yerg wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:31 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:33 pm

I spent last weekend in Somerset. First time back there in 18'ish years. Over 5 hours to do less than 200 miles. Won't be doing it again in a hurry!!
There is something ineffably dismal about driving on busy English roads.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Colin Pitchfork who raped and killed two teenagers in the 1980s is cleared for release

I remember that name and the big news this case was at the time. It's now 33 years later and a man that raped and murdered two 15 year old girls is set to be released.

He was the first person in the UK convicted with the use of DNA evidence.

Furious relatives of two schoolgirls murdered by a notorious paedophile have condemned a decision to let him go free.

The Parole Board has approved the release of Colin Pitchfork, who raped and strangled the 15-year-olds in sadistic attacks in the 1980s.

The mother of Dawn Ashworth said the killer – the first to be convicted on DNA evidence – 'will always present a danger'.

And the sister of his first victim Lynda Mann said she believed he was incapable of rehabilitation.

Pitchfork, now 61, could be free in weeks. But Justice Secretary Robert Buckland ordered officials to look into whether he could trigger a formal review last night – as another MP vowed to get the Parole Board decision overturned.

It plunged the Parole Board into crisis just three years after its chairman Nick Hardwick was forced to resign over its decision to free black-cab rapist John Worboys.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... iller.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic