UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:47 pm Three-quarters of new UK Covid cases could be India variant, says Hancock
Reported number of cases of variant reaches almost 7,000, as it becomes dominant
Nicola Davis Science correspondent
Thu 27 May 2021 17.32 BST

Up to three-quarters of new UK Covid cases are thought to be caused by the variant first detected in India, as the reported number more than doubled to almost 7,000, Matt Hancock said on Thursday.

The variant, known as B.1.617.2, is now dominant in the UK and has been linked to a rise in cases in hotspots around the country. Data released on Thursday by Public Health England (PHE) shows 6,959 cases have been confirmed so far in the UK, up from 3,424 the week before.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... e-quarters
This is shaping up to be a right mess. Germany, and France imposing quarantine on travellers from the UK, Austria banning direct flights. That's just the beginning. Hard to know how long Spain, Greece, Portugal can hold out, but the decision could be taken out of their hands is the travel ban is made EU policy.

The Indian variant is already in Europe and is likely to be the dominant strain in the fullness of time. However, your holiday to Spain in August is looking much less likely.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Now that the UK have left the club, the main few EU leaders are acting like playground children wanting to win the game. It's surprising that other countries have not bowed out of the games.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:22 am Now that the UK have left the club, the main few EU leaders are acting like playground children wanting to win the game. It's surprising that other countries have not bowed out of the games.
I suspect Hungary and Poland would like much less overbearing control by the EU. They joined, especially Poland, to gain protection from a potential resurgent Soviet Union. That threat has now passed. However, given their buffer state between them and Russia is Belarus, they won't be leaving anytime soon.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

A friend of mine from London sent me this invitation, seen on CIAC - Chinese Information and Advice Centre website.

He has a Taiwanese partner that is in the UK on an endlessly extended visitor visa, but no G.P. registration. So, they decided to go along and get the jab. Note the terms of the offer: No NHS number, address or any personal information needed - undocumented migrants (i.e. illegal immigrants) are all welcome.

It proved extremely popular.

The offer:

This is the scene the met with.

Judging by the age of many of these people, they should already have been called up and jabbed. So why are they there for a 'No Questions Asked' vaccination? Looks like Border Force would have had a field day :D

https://ciac.co.uk/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... _content=3
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:49 am George Floyds death is being used by various far left groups in this country to further an agenda. This Video is of one of them, a BLM activist, Marxist and prominent leader who was shot last week by a black gang. Nothing to do with BLM or race, stabbings and shootings happen all the time in south London she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
This is going off on somewhat of a tangent. Can you please tell me why George Floyd or BLM should be repeatedly connected to Lee Rigby or the terrorist attack in Manchester?

On a side note, if you have information regarding the shooting of the BLM lady I would urge you to go to the police and tell them.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:47 am
Judging by the age of many of these people, they should already have been called up and jabbed. So why are they there for a 'No Questions Asked' vaccination? Looks like Border Force would have had a field day :D
Just the tip of the iceberg I think, that's just the Chinese community and only part of it at that. I think the south Asian community is even bigger. Just got to hope they trust that they won't get deported if they go for their vaccination.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

hburns wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:21 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:49 am George Floyds death is being used by various far left groups in this country to further an agenda. This Video is of one of them, a BLM activist, Marxist and prominent leader who was shot last week by a black gang. Nothing to do with BLM or race, stabbings and shootings happen all the time in south London she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
This is going off on somewhat of a tangent. Can you please tell me why George Floyd or BLM should be repeatedly connected to Lee Rigby or the terrorist attack in Manchester?

On a side note, if you have information regarding the shooting of the BLM lady I would urge you to go to the police and tell them.
its all over the news, 5 gang members have been arrested
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:14 pm
hburns wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:21 pm

What tangent ? this thread is a UK discussion

its all over the news, 5 gang members have been arrested for the shooting
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

"Free vaccines in Chinatown"

Is it some kind of subliminal London joke, d'yous think?
"Roll up, roll up! Get yer cure for the Chinese Virus in Chinatown!"
:director:
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:16 pm
What tangent ? this thread is a UK discussion
I was referring to the initial post connecting Lee Rigby, the Manchester bombing and George Floyd. You too claimed it was very relevant. I'm asking you why those 3 events should be connected? I can understand you not agreeing with BLM and questioning it's alternative agenda but to try using 2 terrorist attacks in relation to BLM is insensitive and uniformed at best. Maybe I am missing something though so I will ask you again, why connect those 3?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic