UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by DaveG »

The cabinets plan to quarantine the clown has failed 😂😂🤣
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

John Campbell reported yesterday that cases, hospitalisations and deaths are all falling nicely in the UK.
But he is angry that India was not red-listed sooner, and that the red list does not become operative until Friday.
The new variant in India has been spreading very rapidly, even by Covid standards.
My guess is that Boris was reluctant to cancel his India trip for fear of upsetting Modi and putting India on the red list was seen as adding insult to injury.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/hyde-park-4-2 ... 27703.html

On a lighter note.
The 4-20 advocates day went off with barely a hitch. Sort of. A minor stabbing. Of a schoolgirl, replete with dubious photo. And a cameo appearance by the former right ‘onourable Jeremy Corbin’s slightly worse for wear looking brother.

I’m sure this has provided adequate commentary in support of their aims.

Words and phrases that spring to mind...

Restraint
Decorum
Right time
Face-palm
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:40 pm Maybe Dominic Raab will put India on the Red list while Boris is in India so he has to have two weeks at the Heathrow Hilton :D
Opportunity missed. It would have been an interesting coup, having already had a trial run over at the Burmese embassy.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Happy St.George's Day

The Patron Saint of England. (And Ethiopia, Georgia, Catalonia and Aragon, but sod that lot.)

Born of parents of Greek origin, his followed in his fathers footsteps and served in the Roman army. His father was from Cappadocian in Turkey and his mother was from Lod, in Palestine, where he was eventually buried.

He was a member of the Praetorian guard protecting the Emperor Diocletian who had him killed for refusing to recant his Christianity. Oh, the irony.

There is no record whatsoever of him ever visiting England, speaking a word of English or killing any dragons. However, he was an all round good bloke who loved to go to foreign countries, get drunk, shag the girls and have a good punch up with the locals. These days we go to Benidorm.

Looks a bit of a poof though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Geo ... l%20family.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Theft, fraud and false accounting convictions quashed after one of England’s biggest ever miscarriages of justice

I remember this story being in Private Eye donkeys years ago, probably mid 2000's. Even back then there was serious suspicion that there were problems with the IT and the accounting system. Old people who had been running small Post Office's for decades were accused of fraud, and prosecuted. Hundreds of them. Many were jailed.

Yesterday, finally, some the criminal convictions were overturned at the Court of Appeal. Not before time. No doubt the rest will follow.

Court clears 39 post office operators convicted due to ‘corrupt data’

The court of appeal considered 42 cases, which were referred last year by the Criminal Cases Review Commission after a landmark civil case brought by the Justice for Subpostmasters Alliance against the Post Office.

The Post Office settled the civil claim brought by 555 claimants for £57.75m – amounting to £12m after legal costs – without admitting liability, in December 2019. This month, the Post Office chief executive, Nick Read, who took up his post in September 2019, called on the government to fund “meaningful compensation” to those wrongfully convicted, saying the Post Office “simply does not have the financial resources” to do so.

No one has ever been held accountable for the scandal and while a government inquiry was launched last year, campaigners say it does not go far enough.

David Enright, from Howe + Co solicitors, who acts for the alliance, said the inquiry “has been set up by the very organisation that owns the Post Office (the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), and there’s a clear financial conflict of interest so that’s inappropriate. Secondly, it’s non-statutory so therefore it cannot hear evidence under oath, it can’t compel witnesses, it can’t compel evidence, so it’s toothless.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rrupt-data

A further article about the then CEO and her £5 million pay-off and a CBE as well. Nice work if you can get it.

When the Rev Paula Vennells stepped down as chief executive of the Post Office in February 2019, she walked away nearly £5m richer.

As Vennells made for the exit, hundreds of loyal employees were still falsely branded thieves by the business that many of them had given their lives to.

Under the seven-year leadership of Vennells, an Anglican minister, the Post Office had relentlessly pursued subpostmasters and subpostmistresses for alleged offences such as theft and false accounting.

More than 900 employees were prosecuted, many of them were wrongfully convicted and their reputations in local communities were destroyed. Some died before their name could be cleared. Those that were left had a wearying legal fight on their hands against a deep-pocketed employer.

At the high court, Mr Justice Fraser said the company had simply ignored the reality of what had happened, effectively “maintaining that the Earth is flat”.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... a-vennells
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Finally, a pub that subscribes to my preferred method of management. Decided as the sun is shining, that an hour or two in my local beer garden would be of huge benefit. Checked in using the good old NHS Track & Trace app, and lo and behold, table service and a tab without having to hand over a credit card, pay when you’re ready to leave. Bravo to the landlord and landlady. Let’s hope it catches on... :Yahoo!:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yerg wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 pm Finally, a pub that subscribes to my preferred method of management. Decided as the sun is shining, that an hour or two in my local beer garden would be of huge benefit. Checked in using the good old NHS Track & Trace app, and lo and behold, table service and a tab without having to hand over a credit card, pay when you’re ready to leave. Bravo to the landlord and landlady. Let’s hope it catches on... :Yahoo!:
Sunshine = Vit D = resistance to viruses = spend more time in beer gardens. Win-win. :dm:

I predict that :roll: UK beer gardens will soon be renamed as Vitamin D gardens, and the NHS will pay back 50% of your beer as part of the UK 'Get Healthy and Support Your Local Pub Scheme'.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:21 pm
Yerg wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 pm Finally, a pub that subscribes to my preferred method of management. Decided as the sun is shining, that an hour or two in my local beer garden would be of huge benefit. Checked in using the good old NHS Track & Trace app, and lo and behold, table service and a tab without having to hand over a credit card, pay when you’re ready to leave. Bravo to the landlord and landlady. Let’s hope it catches on... :Yahoo!:
Sunshine = Vit D = resistance to viruses = spend more time in beer gardens. Win-win. :dm:

I predict that :roll: UK beer gardens will soon be renamed as Vitamin D gardens, and the NHS will pay back 50% of your beer as part of the UK 'Get Healthy and Support Your Local Pub Scheme'.
The benefit I alluded to included a great big dose of Vit D. Your idea of a beer-refund programme has merit and I shall be immediately floating it with my local MP 😂
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic