UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:00 pm Jamie until you travelled to other places with different customs going to the bar to buy a pint was normal, you will be wanting drive through greasy spoons next or pole dancers next to the dart board which would put me off my game, never mind playing shove a halpenny with a "bar girl"
Long live the great british pub. :beer3:
im not saying its not normal, im just saying once youve got used to drinking in bars and not having to dip in your wallet each time, or not even having to get up off your arse and there already being a new beer ready before ive even finished the one im drinking, going back to that normal pub routine becomes a chore, thats my point

same goes to in Asia where the girls get confused and find it strange that i often prefer standing up drinking, propped up at the bar rather than sitting down, like you would be in a british boozer
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:20 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:00 pm
The Great British Pubs are closed from what I heard. :(
opening back up on the 12th
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:22 pm
That's what they say. :popcorn:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

as are the french bistros, german bier kellers, spanish tapas joints, american bars, etc :beer1:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:00 pm Jamie until you travelled to other places with different customs going to the bar to buy a pint was normal, you will be wanting drive through greasy spoons next or pole dancers next to the dart board which would put me off my game, never mind playing shove a halpenny with a "bar girl"
im not saying its not normal, im just saying once youve got used to drinking in bars and not having to dip in your wallet each time, or not even having to get up off your arse and there already being a new beer ready before ive even finished the one im drinking, going back to that normal pub routine becomes a chore, thats my point

same goes to in Asia where the girls get confused and find it strange that i often prefer standing up drinking, propped up at the bar rather than sitting down, like you would be in a british boozer
I was being flippant. Its' the same in most places in India, table service and pay when you leave. When I get back to blighty and go to my local it doesn't cross my mind (I do miss not being able to spit on the floor though :) )
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:52 pm
That's what they say. :popcorn:
the government has promised, there will be an uproar if it doesnt happen, there will be riots :mob:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

jamie tonight on BBC 4 at 9 documentary on Freddie Mills
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Jamie, fortunately Boris has learnt from his November fuck up that promising a fixed date for changes is the wrong way to go. That doesn't mean you will be wrong about riots though. People here are stressed out and pissed off after a hard year of mainly being in lockdown. The elements of society that want to riot are waiting for any opportunity as shown by the recent trouble in Bristol.

This time Boris has been quite clear about his plan which involves stages of opening up with 5 weeks between each stage so they can see the effect of each stage before allowing the next to happen. May 17th was given as the earliest possible date for allowing people to go abroad. This now looks unlikely as Europe is currently going through another wave and there is the possibility of the vaccine rollout slowing due supplies from both India and the EU not being as expected.

Things are starting to move in the right direction though, just hope it's continues

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... d-lockdown
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

NOT for much longer, Mr Moy.

From April 12 pubs will open for outdoor service only, on socially distanced tables and ordering only from the seated position (and paying every time - so don't expect it to be quick). Permission to go to the bathroom can be made by reserving a 4 minute time slot on their App. (I might of made up that bit up, but a formal waiting system could easily be dreamt up by some fool).

This unbridled joy may be experienced by yourself or up to 5 non-bubble friends or even more if they are not from the same household.

There is no need for a substantial meal.

Even with this shitshow, they will all be booked solid. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you want a table you'll have to book. The tables will all be filled, come rain or shine. I very much doubt they will allow you to wait around for a table to become free.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Oh the joys of the new normal....

You’ll be booking a quick table for a quick pint at your local, 6 weeks in advance.

It might have been a ray of hope for some of the establishments that were struggling in modern times, as they’d have had overflow customers filling their spaces. The ones that can meet the standard.

I long for a pint of Guinness, though. It’s been over a year since I had one, I’m sure. I might have to suffer the indignity. I’ll dust off my Billy Connolly trousers to avoid the queue for the khazi.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic