UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by AndyKK »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:18 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:20 am
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:34 pm Five pound a pint ! Where do you drink up the west end ? In my manor its around £3.50. less if you drink in Weatherspoons . I took a mate from Yorkshire to a Youngs pub last year where they charge £4.20 and he was outraged, he said it', Its' not much more that £3 up his way. The chances of having to show a vaccination card to get a pint are slim. If they bring that in they will have to include cafes, cinemas, theatres, football stadiums etc I can't see that happening. Maybe some landlords might try it on to attract those people who are scared to go out and advertise as a "covid free zone" :beer1:
I just checked my former local, the Travellers Friend in Woodford Green, Essex. I haven't been doing much drinking in the UK for a while so my £5 a pint was an educated guess. I was surprised to see how much it has gone up!

I never go in a Wetherspoons. The city ones are mobbed and hateful places and the suburban ones are full of the people I left the UK to get away from. I know that sounds snobby, so guilty as charged on this one.

I will always go to a privately owned and managed place and avoid chains if at all possible.

https://www.thetravellersfriendwoodford.co.uk/food/
I agree on the Weatherspoons I don't like them either. I have about 3 or 4 locals where I go. One in Exmouth market in islington do lovely pints from Camden town brewery £3, a couple of others I use are well under £4. The most expensive is a Youngs pub in Grays Inn Road The Calthorpe arms, the train robbers used to meet there. Its £4 20 but a lovely pint, a lovely old pub and a good sunday roast for £8.50 . If i am over soho I sometimes stop in Bar Italia and sit outside to watch the world go by, £5 for a small bottle of San Miguel but i am paying for the location and the history, I used to go there in the 60s and drink coffee. When i go to Ronnie Scotts to see a band i have to grit my teeth at the prices they charge. :evil:
I am looking forward to India at the end of the year, Bombay is expensive £2.50 a pint, Goa is about a £1 depending on where you go. I am still debating on a trip to Cambodia, have never been but its easy to get to from Chennai, I nearly came a couple of years ago so maybe next year :thumb:
tightenupvolume1 you have been on the forum site for a longtime, and add some good subject and discussion. I hope you get to come to Cambodia. I think if the conivus19 didn't restrict the situation of travel I may have had a short visit to some of my favourite places in India, such has the big cities of Mumbai and Kolkata, the temples of Madurai. The desert areas of Rajasthan, Jaisalmer the old fortified city, and with cool waters of Udaipur and its art scene.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I nearly got to Cambodia about 5 years ago. During my annual 6 month stay in India I went down to Chennai from Goa intending to fly over to have a look see. I got distracted and ended up in mamallpuirim a place south of Chennai famous for sculpting. Incredible place you can go round and watch them chipping and hammering away. I was a bricklayer/mason in the past and I thought about hanging around there for a while maybe see if I could unleash the inner sculptor in me. I thought about that great 60s film with Tony Hancock "The Artist"

Anyway travelling is all in the air at the moment, I am booked on a flight to Bombay in September. Once i get sorted maybe I will pop over to have a look at ? PP, Shitville, SR ? who knows. At the very least want to have a beer with jamie and pick his brains about Cambodia and we can discuss brick bonds.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:48 am I nearly got to Cambodia about 5 years ago. During my annual 6 month stay in India I went down to Chennai from Goa intending to fly over to have a look see. I got distracted and ended up in mamallpuirim a place south of Chennai famous for sculpting. Incredible place you can go round and watch them chipping and hammering away. I was a bricklayer/mason in the past and I thought about hanging around there for a while maybe see if I could unleash the inner sculptor in me. I thought about that great 60s film with Tony Hancock "The Artist"

Anyway travelling is all in the air at the moment, I am booked on a flight to Bombay in September. Once i get sorted maybe I will pop over to have a look at ? PP, Shitville, SR ? who knows. At the very least want to have a beer with jamie and pick his brains about Cambodia and we can discuss brick bonds.
Jamie has left the building and is currently freezing his bollocks off 'oop north', deeply regretting his return. We will be sending him pictures of life in Phnom Penh to cheer him up. :D
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

That was a quick trip
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Lenny Henry has appealed for black people to get vaccinated in the UK.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56565995

According to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics, vaccination rates for people in England identifying as having black African heritage stand at 58.8%, the lowest among all ethnic minority groups, and 68.7% within the black Caribbean community.

By contrast, for people identifying as white British, there is an estimated take-up rate of 91.3%.

Asked why there was caution in the black community about having the vaccine, Sir Lenny blamed an "element of mistrust" in the system.

He said people felt "certain institutions and authorities haven't particularly done right by the black community in the past" so asked "why should they do something for us now? Why are they doing us all a big favour?"
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:18 am Lenny Henry has appealed for black people to get vaccinated in the UK.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56565995

According to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics, vaccination rates for people in England identifying as having black African heritage stand at 58.8%, the lowest among all ethnic minority groups, and 68.7% within the black Caribbean community.

By contrast, for people identifying as white British, there is an estimated take-up rate of 91.3%.

Asked why there was caution in the black community about having the vaccine, Sir Lenny blamed an "element of mistrust" in the system.

He said people felt "certain institutions and authorities haven't particularly done right by the black community in the past" so asked "why should they do something for us now? Why are they doing us all a big favour?"
The black celebrities and politicians, and the government to some extent, are desperate to stop them all looking like a bunch of idiots - which is happening right now.

Also, if the black community (such as it is) becomes the last of the hotspots and the only ones filling up intensive care units and doing all the dying, the same celebrities and politicians will need to blame somebody. Of course, it won't be themselves.

I thought black lives matter? Apparently not so much to them.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

atst wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:57 pm Not the price so much it's the having to que up at the bar and carry ya drink back that I noticed the most in australia, such a third world thing to do hahaha coffee shops the same
We are not spoiled here, but when back home you realize how much you're screwed service wise, who's the customer?
tell me about it, its grinds me in England now!
ill be in the pub sat with my mates, staring into my nearly empty pint, and then my head bobs up like a meercat looking around...
my mates are like "whats up mate?" and i reply "ive nearly finished me pint" continuing to look around...
"well go buy another cunt then" they say with a confused look on their face,
so i get up, and join the back of the crowd at the bar, gradually working my way to the front,
5 minutes have passed and ive finally made it to the bar, i then have to wait another few minutes to get served...
finally get my served my drink and start wandering back to my table...
"oi mate!! where you going, you not paid for that yet!"...the barman shouts over,
"ive not drank the cunt yet!!" i reply, forgetting that no cunt trusts you with a tab here and go back and pay for my drink,
i finally make it back to my stool all mardy with a monk on cuz of the past 15minutes ive wasted sobering up without a fucking drink in my hand!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:56 pm
atst wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:57 pm Not the price so much it's the having to que up at the bar and carry ya drink back that I noticed the most in australia, such a third world thing to do hahaha coffee shops the same
We are not spoiled here, but when back home you realize how much you're screwed service wise, who's the customer?
tell me about it, it grinds me in England now!
ill be in the pub sat with my mates, staring into my nearly empty pint, and then my head bobs up like a meercat looking around...
my mates are like "whats up mate?" and i reply "ive nearly finished me pint" continuing to look around...
"well go buy another cunt then" they say with a confused look on their face,
so i get up, and join the back of the crowd at the bar, gradually working my way to the front,
5 minutes have passed and ive finally made it to the bar, i then have to wait another few minutes to get served...
finally get my served my drink and start wandering back to my table...
"oi mate!! where you going, you not paid for that yet!"...the barman shouts over,
"ive not drank the cunt yet!!" i reply, forgetting that no cunt trusts you with a tab here and go back and pay for my drink,
i finally make it back to my stool all mardy with a monk on cuz of the past 15minutes ive wasted sobering up without a fucking drink in my hand!
You stand on a customers point of view, and I agree it's a shit service you get for your well earned sterling. But the landlord's point of view is it's very probmatic to get a customer to empty his pocket after a few pints.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Crowded pubs aside I would miss leaning on the bar having a pint and a chat. Having to go to the bar to buy a pint and then paying for it has never bothered me.
I seem to recall that when i was in Banff Canada in the early 70s you could not order or even stand at the bar, you had to order it from your table and I am sure you could only buy the small glasses of beer and could only have 2 maximum at a time, thats less than a pint !

Jamie until you travelled to other places with different customs going to the bar to buy a pint was normal, you will be wanting drive through greasy spoons next or pole dancers next to the dart board which would put me off my game, never mind playing shove a halpenny with a "bar girl"
Long live the great british pub. :beer3:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:00 pm
Long live the great british pub. :beer3:
The Great British Pubs are closed from what I heard. :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic