UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by Doc67 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:03 pm Image

Enough said...
been a shocking winter! snowed again last night
any more talk about the weather and they (the foreigners) will start taking the piss out of us... :D
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:45 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:03 pm Image

Enough said...
been a shocking winter! snowed again last night
any more talk about the weather and they (the foreigners) will start taking the piss out of us... :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I guess the Ozzie colonials had to show you how to do things...now you've upset the CCP too... :mrgreen: :salut:

BBC News banned in China, one week after CGTN's license withdrawn in UK

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/media/bb ... index.html
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

been told after midnight on saturday, people returning to England from abroad will have to quarantine in a hotel at the cost of £2000 for 10 days including pay for a test on day 2 and day 8 at £300 a test

but also been told by another friend that its only people returning from a blacklisted 35 countries, Cambodia is obviously not on the list
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I can’t find the link now.

A red list of 30-35 countries, mainly featuring central/South America, and Africa, including South Africa.
Fixed cost of £1750 for ten days. (Why 10? 7, 14, 21 I understand, in a twisted sort of way. Why 10?)

You’re a criminal if you try to hide the fact that you were in those places recently. £10000/10years in government housing (which for former inmates of city comfort might be considered soft time)

Oh...you’re a criminal for even traveling for leisure reasons.

And...

Depending on whether you listen to Twat Hancock, the prat from Have I got news for you, or some government expert,
Don’t go on holiday
Do go in holiday
Must not go on holiday
Don’t even consider going on holiday
I’ve already booked my holiday.

My gut feeling is that 2020 was a practice run for fecking it up. Now they’re early going for it.

In the near future, it will likely be treated as sedition to even show people your old holiday photos, and stir up the revolting peasants.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Congrats on realizing that international travel is headed the way of the dodo, and that is just a warmup, domestic travel bans are coming to all western countries. Rules for thee but not for me, Matt Hancock will go wherever he wishes.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:47 pm been told after midnight on saturday, people returning to England from abroad will have to quarantine in a hotel at the cost of £2000 for 10 days including pay for a test on day 2 and day 8 at £300 a test

but also been told by another friend that its only people returning from a blacklisted 35 countries, Cambodia is obviously not on the list
Here's the low down on the latest fiasco. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/booking-and ... in-england

I heard on the radio today that the journalist tried to book for Monday, but there was no availability until Wednesday.

It's a complete shambles...

UK’s Covid quarantine hotel booking system crashes

Website goes down within hours of launch, the latest embarrassment for criticised scheme

The booking system for the UK government’s Covid-19 hotel quarantine programme crashed within hours of going live on Thursday.

All passengers arriving into England from a list of 33 high-risk “red list” countries must quarantine in a hotel for 10 days from Monday, amid growing concerns among ministers over new variants of coronavirus first identified abroad.

The policy is part of a series of tough new border measures that also include a requirement for all travellers to take two tests for Covid-19 — on days two and eight after arrival — in addition to one they must take 72 hours before departure to the UK.

But the official website offering passengers the chance to book into a government-approved hotel went down on Thursday afternoon and remained unable to take bookings into the evening. 

The Department of Health and Social Care said: “The website is currently undergoing work to correct a minor technical issue. 

https://www.ft.com/content/c222e72d-0d5 ... 51ed643c0e
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UK immigration officials 'have had no information' about hotel quarantine
Border staff not briefed about even basics of Covid protection system starting on Monday, says union
Peter Walker and Haroon Siddique
Fri 12 Feb 2021 16.32 GMT

Immigration officials expected to enforce a mandatory quarantine intended to protect the UK from new coronavirus variants have not been briefed on even the basics about how the system will work, little more than 48 hours before it begins, the Guardian has been told.

The Immigration Services Union (ISU), which represents many of the Home Office’s immigration officers, said that before the start on Monday of the new policy, staff had not been told if they would be expected to check for arrivals who had not properly declared their status, or when and how those obliged to quarantine would be taken to hotels.

“They’ve had no information at all,” said Lucy Moreton, the general secretary of the ISU. “They can watch the media, read statements from ministers, but that’s pretty much it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... quarantine
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:12 pm I can’t find the link now.

A red list of 30-35 countries, mainly featuring central/South America, and Africa, including South Africa.
Fixed cost of £1750 for ten days. (Why 10? 7, 14, 21 I understand, in a twisted sort of way. Why 10?)
Red list is here (UK gov, updated on 11 Feb 2021) : post473070.html#p473070
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

In other news, GBPUSD is now 1.385, the highest it's been since April 2018.
It's been on a fairly even upward trend since October so could plausibly go higher, but if you're holding GBP now is far from the worst time to change your holiday money.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic