The curfew imposed in many countries

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The curfew imposed in many countries

Post by Doc67 »

God'sGift wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 pm If you ever wondered what it was like living in North Korea, then just head to UK, Italy, France or Spain instead.
I can't believe they managed to close all the boozers without a riot.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

Yes, it's strange how people in the UK have so readily accepted the totatlitarian State.

Mostly liberals crying out for even more restrictions!
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

Alex wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:39 am Closing all shops including 7/11 at night gives them time to restock and clean thoroughly without having any customers present.

But ultimately, in Thailand, I think it's mostly a question of policing the population. Nighttime robberies, illegal street racing, drug parties, etc. It's also meant to ram home the point that this is serious and that the government means business.
Alex,
I've been known to bitch and complain about the young crackheads racing their scooters sans-muffler at high speed with no lights at night, but not much else of major importance. Thailand's appeal had been it's layed back never mind attitude, a free feeling much more so than in the ussa. I've said with personal freedoms we've come to love and accept in SEA comes patience and tolerance of others exercising their personal freedoms.

The govt created this police state lock down and is tossing those freedoms in the trash can. IMO they can ram their restrictions up their self-important asses, but of course I'm just a guest in thailand so it's not my fight, just my opinion.

Maybe the population is and will remain quiet and subservient to the authorities, maybe not. I'll cheer them on if they're not.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Why do some of you new guys remind me of 404?

- maybe because you are confusing political nightmares with perfectly rational and absolutely proven public health measures.
Look at the whirlwind the USA is reaping for having a leader who downplayed the seriousness until it was far too late.
And who's response is still pathetically inept.

PS - it is not BigBiz calling for the lockdowns, they are kicking back against them.
It is the vast majority of the sensible every-day citizenry who are demanding firm and decisive action.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It is child's play to identify users with multiple usernames with even primitive lexographic algorithms across proprietary platforms.
Like the President of the United States they have a limited vocabulary and rely heavily on certain adjectives as a cover for their ignorance.
This reliance on certain words is as distinct as a fingerprint, particularly in authors using English as a second language.
Their hobby horse delusional complaints make it even easier to identify them. Many of these people are mentally unbalanced, and detrimental to society.
Facebook has been a blessing to security forces globally.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

glennb6 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:30 pm Maybe the population is and will remain quiet and subservient to the authorities, maybe not. I'll cheer them on if they're not.
wtf are they going to do, hold virus-spreading parties?

i deplore these lockdowns as a very blunt approach
and i believe people can be trusted to act in the common good in a crisis, without coercion

but perhaps that's not always the case
and a prime function of govt, is to impose law and order

it's interesting that business and the right are most against this 'fascism', and the left are supportive
it seems to be a bit of a role reversal, and quite revealing

monstra mihi bona!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 pm it's interesting that business and the right are most against this 'fascism', and the left are supportive
Yep :) once again, the left and science are in lock-step.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:33 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 pm it's interesting that business and the right are most against this 'fascism', and the left are supportive
Yep :) once again, the left and science are in lock-step.
:lol:
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 pm
glennb6 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:30 pm Maybe the population is and will remain quiet and subservient to the authorities, maybe not. I'll cheer them on if they're not.
wtf are they going to do, hold virus-spreading parties?

i deplore these lockdowns as a very blunt approach
and i believe people can be trusted to act in the common good in a crisis, without coercion

but perhaps that's not always the case
and a prime function of govt, is to impose law and order

it's interesting that business and the right are most against this 'fascism', and the left are supportive
it seems to be a bit of a role reversal, and quite revealing
No virus parties, just go reopen business and get the unemployed back to work.

"and i believe people can be trusted to act in the common good in a crisis" Yes I agree - but governments cannot, did not, and will not.

At some point when people run out of money, and that is a trickle up move. When, or if, they actually see that deaths and 'cases' of the flu scam are well under 1% of the population, human nature and anger will kick in. Rightfully so.

running out of money isn't something most expats have to deal with, but the working people (of all countries) live week to week, month to month.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

The idea that the most powerful people, in any country, care about the health of the peons is absurd.
All arguments based on this premise are nonsense,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic