I am wanting to marry my brother's wife's sister (sister in law's sister - no blood relation)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
satkoh2020
Tourist
Canada

I am wanting to marry my brother's wife's sister (sister in law's sister - no blood relation)

Post by satkoh2020 »

Hello CEO,

I have been a lurker for quite some time now, and I have decided to finally make an account. A bit of background information about myself.
I am in my 30s, ethnically Cambodian, parents are both born and raised in Cambodia, but had to escape Cambodia due to the Khmer Rouge.
They ended meeting in a refugee camp in Thailand and had two children there, my older brother and myself.

Fast forward 25+ years, we now live in Canada, and my brother meets a woman while visiting family in Cambodia. And one year later, I
accompany my brother to Cambodia so that he can get married. A month before the wedding, I meet my brother's wife's sister, and fall
heads over heels in love with her. We have been seeing each other for several months, and I am planning to ask her parents for her hand
in marriage near the end of this year. By the beginning of 2022 we will be married and I wish to sponsor her to Canada.

My question is am I legally allowed to marry this girl? Am I legally allowed to marry my sister in law's sister in Cambodia? Will I have to bribe local
officials and forge documents? I have searched many sites and all list that marriage cannot be related by blood, marriage, or adoption.
It is usually listed as the following:

Source: https://www.immigroup.com/marrying-and- ... an-citizen
"Legal requirements to get married:"
"Age and Relation"
"The bride must be at least 18 years of age. The groom must be at least 20 years of age. They cannot be related by blood, marriage or adoption."

This is a rather big concern for me as some relatives on my mom's side mainly say it is against the law (partially because they are envious that a foreigner with money is 'helping' the same family again)
and not all are happy I am wanting to marry her (my parents included). They say because my brother has already married into her family she is now my sister, and they do not wish to marry into a 'poor' family again.
However, my parents, have no issue with me marry my first cousin or even niece!?? Sounds like bullshit to me. Marriage by affinity is not allowed, but marriage by blood is? Maybe it is different for locals vs foreigners.
As most of us know, marriage with cousins is quite common in many parts of the world, and very prevalent in Cambodia. Her parents and relatives love me, however, and have no issues with me marrying her.

Having recently just went through the process of bribing officers in Phnom Penh with my brother's marriage, which was quite annoying, what process or processes do I need to follow
in order to have documents processed smoothly, and have an officially recognized wedding in Cambodia? What are some challenges, if any, will I have to face when sponsoring her to Canada?
Thank you very much for your replies, and wish to see all sides of this discussion. No filter. Thank you.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Re: I am wanting to marry my brother's wife's sister (sister in law's sister - no blood relation)

Post by jah steu »

Of course two brothers can marry two sisters who are not blood-related to them. It happens quite often.
Check google and YouTube. Plenty of examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: I am wanting to marry my brother's wife's sister (sister in law's sister - no blood relation)

Post by Username Taken »

satkoh2020 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 pm Fast forward 25+ years, we now live in Canada,
You left the refugee camp in 1995?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

satkoh2020 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 pm Hello CEO,

I have been a lurker for quite some time now, and I have decided to finally make an account. A bit of background information about myself.
I am in my 30s, ethnically Cambodian, parents are both born and raised in Cambodia, but had to escape Cambodia due to the Khmer Rouge.
They ended meeting in a refugee camp in Thailand and had two children there, my older brother and myself.

Fast forward 25+ years, we now live in Canada, and my brother meets a woman while visiting family in Cambodia. And one year later, I
accompany my brother to Cambodia so that he can get married. A month before the wedding, I meet my brother's wife's sister, and fall
heads over heels in love with her. We have been seeing each other for several months, and I am planning to ask her parents for her hand
in marriage near the end of this year. By the beginning of 2022 we will be married and I wish to sponsor her to Canada.

My question is am I legally allowed to marry this girl? Am I legally allowed to marry my sister in law's sister in Cambodia? Will I have to bribe local
officials and forge documents? I have searched many sites and all list that marriage cannot be related by blood, marriage, or adoption.
It is usually listed as the following:

Source: https://www.immigroup.com/marrying-and- ... an-citizen
"Legal requirements to get married:"
"Age and Relation"
"The bride must be at least 18 years of age. The groom must be at least 20 years of age. They cannot be related by blood, marriage or adoption."

This is a rather big concern for me as some relatives on my mom's side mainly say it is against the law (partially because they are envious that a foreigner with money is 'helping' the same family again)
and not all are happy I am wanting to marry her (my parents included). They say because my brother has already married into her family she is now my sister, and they do not wish to marry into a 'poor' family again.
However, my parents, have no issue with me marry my first cousin or even niece!?? Sounds like bullshit to me. Marriage by affinity is not allowed, but marriage by blood is? Maybe it is different for locals vs foreigners.
As most of us know, marriage with cousins is quite common in many parts of the world, and very prevalent in Cambodia. Her parents and relatives love me, however, and have no issues with me marrying her.

Having recently just went through the process of bribing officers in Phnom Penh with my brother's marriage, which was quite annoying, what process or processes do I need to follow
in order to have documents processed smoothly, and have an officially recognized wedding in Cambodia? What are some challenges, if any, will I have to face when sponsoring her to Canada?
Thank you very much for your replies, and wish to see all sides of this discussion. No filter. Thank you.
I am pretty sure you are realted to your sister-in-law, her children and her parents and that is it. I remember a similar thing in the west a few years ago when a man and woman got into a relationship and then the mans son and the womans daugher fell for each other. legally the kids had to marry before their parents, as after the parenst married they would be step-siter and step-brother nad it wouldbe incest
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Did you have a stroke recently or what?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Yes, you can.

Especially if they're okay with you marrying your first cousin or even niece.

You already see clearly the situation, mostly they don't want you to marry into the same family as they don't see enough benefit (profit?) from it.

But you're an all grown, independent man, etc ... So make your choice and deal with it.
Don't forget the water buffalo
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Marry her in Canada.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

I am wanting to kiss my brother's wife's sister's black cat's ass!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

pczz wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:11 am I am pretty sure you are realted to your sister-in-law, her children and her parents and that is it. I remember a similar thing in the west a few years ago when a man and woman got into a relationship and then the mans son and the womans daugher fell for each other. legally the kids had to marry before their parents, as after the parenst married they would be step-siter and step-brother nad it wouldbe incest
Two decades ago, there was a Dutch/Australian bar owner in Sihanoukvile who married a Khmer girl/woman. Not long after that the bar owner's son married the sister of his father's wife (his step mother's sister).
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

satkoh2020 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 pm What are some challenges, if any, will I have to face when sponsoring her to Canada?
I have a feeling that your biggest hurdle will be convincing Canadian immigration that you guys aren't just trying to get your brother's wife's sister over.

Best of luck and let us know how it all works out!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic