I am wanting to marry my brother's wife's sister (sister in law's sister - no blood relation)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: I am wanting to marry my brother's wife's sister (sister in law's sister - no blood relation)

Post by rexwell »

A friend of mine is married to a Khmer woman. Now his brother wants to marry his brother's wife's younger sister. Nothing wrong with that, and it will provide company for the sisters together in the wasteland.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: I am wanting to marry my brother's wife's sister (sister in law's sister - no blood relation)

Post by Duncan »

rexwell wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:11 pm A friend of mine is married to a Khmer woman. Now his brother wants to marry his brother's wife's younger sister. Nothing wrong with that, and it will provide company for the sisters together in the wasteland.
Look at the hierarchy in the top of the system and it's no different.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I think the General nailed it on the head. Canadian immigration might think it is a fake marriage just to sponsor her over. Been witness to fake Cambodian marriages before. Get an immigration lawyer to advise how to get your application documentation to prove it is love.

As for jealous villagers. I’m blessed by NOT being able to hear all snide remarks as it’s coming out of their mouths and can just image what they are saying. I try to imagine the positive.

Good luck on both of you to happy marriages!
satkoh2020
Tourist
Canada

Post by satkoh2020 »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 am
satkoh2020 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 pm What are some challenges, if any, will I have to face when sponsoring her to Canada?
I have a feeling that your biggest hurdle will be convincing Canadian immigration that you guys aren't just trying to get your brother's wife's sister over.

Best of luck and let us know how it all works out!
Yes, thank you. This is what I am mostly concerned about. It may take longer to process sponsorship papers.
satkoh2020
Tourist
Canada

Post by satkoh2020 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:38 pm I think the General nailed it on the head. Canadian immigration might think it is a fake marriage just to sponsor her over. Been witness to fake Cambodian marriages before. Get an immigration lawyer to advise how to get your application documentation to prove it is love.

As for jealous villagers. I’m blessed by NOT being able to hear all snide remarks as it’s coming out of their mouths and can just image what they are saying. I try to imagine the positive.

Good luck on both of you to happy marriages!
Okay, thank you for the advice. Will try to be positive throughout. Will look into an immigration lawer, thanks.
satkoh2020
Tourist
Canada

Post by satkoh2020 »

rexwell wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:11 pm A friend of mine is married to a Khmer woman. Now his brother wants to marry his brother's wife's younger sister. Nothing wrong with that, and it will provide company for the sisters together in the wasteland.
Yes, absolutely agree! It is difficult enough to marry a foreigner (my brother and I are only partially fluent in Khmer, can listen and understand most conversations, but speaking gets a bit difficult at times),
having immediate family for my wife would make her very happy.
satkoh2020
Tourist
Canada

Post by satkoh2020 »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:26 am
satkoh2020 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 pm Fast forward 25+ years, we now live in Canada,
You left the refugee camp in 1995?
Apologies, left in late 1989, so it will be 31 years at the end of this year in Canada. I believe the refugee camp we stayed in Thailand closed in 1993.
satkoh2020
Tourist
Canada

Post by satkoh2020 »

canucklhead wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:05 am Marry her in Canada.
I didn't think that was an option. Would I just buy her a plane ticket, and apply for a visitor visa, and then marry her here in Canada?
How would I go about sponsoring her to Canada? Does Cambodia even recognize foreign marriages abroad between Cambodian citizens and foreigners?
Thanks for the insight.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

You and your brother will also share a mother-in-law so that might be a good thing - maybe.

You and your brother are also going to have to be the best of friends for the rest of your life because the sisters are likely to want to be in close proximity to each other, which mean you will be too. Neighbours?

But, if you're in love and going to marry her it's probably too late to think about unintended consequences.

Good luck.
satkoh2020
Tourist
Canada

Post by satkoh2020 »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 pm You and your brother will also share a mother-in-law so that might be a good thing - maybe.

You and your brother are also going to have to be the best of friends for the rest of your life because the sisters are likely to want to be in close proximity to each other, which mean you will be too. Neighbours?

But, if you're in love and going to marry her it's probably too late to think about unintended consequences.

Good luck.
Yes, you're absolutely right about everything. There will definitely be some hurdles and unintended consequences.
Luckily for my brother and myself, we are good brothers to one another, own our own homes, and live in the same city. Thanks for the reply.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic