Are people starting to become cry babies?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Are people starting to become cry babies?

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

Is it just me or does it feel like everyone wants to spend every single minute of every single day moaning about the COVID-19 epidemic?

People in Cambodia are probably on long term visas that don't run out for months.

People in Thailand only have to renew their visa 1x per month (or even less)

Maybe we should be spending more time exercising, learning a language, working from home, playing an instrument, or painting.

I know there must be some people in a really bad situation, but I think most should forget about the virus.

Sure, you might not be able to go out very much and there aren't lots of places open, but we're still able to have pretty normal lives during the end of the world.

Leave the greiving to those in dire straits and enjoy yourselves.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Are people starting to become cry babies?

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not sure, but I gather from your posts that you haven't been here long? Nobody I know has been crying, it's an unprecedented situation and while most should be very concerned we just have to bite the bullet and keep going. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

Very stoic of you.

I'm guessing end of July things will ease up.

Until then...
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Not starting. Ive always been a cry baby. What of it?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:14 pm Is it just me or does it feel like everyone wants to spend every single minute of every single day moaning about the COVID-19 epidemic?

People in Cambodia are probably on long term visas that don't run out for months.

People in Thailand only have to renew their visa 1x per month (or even less)

Maybe we should be spending more time exercising, learning a language, working from home, playing an instrument, or painting.

I know there must be some people in a really bad situation, but I think most should forget about the virus.

Sure, you might not be able to go out very much and there aren't lots of places open, but we're still able to have pretty normal lives during the end of the world.

Leave the greiving to those in dire straits and enjoy yourselves.
Aren't you the poster who wanted to run away and hide in Thailand ?
thailand-news-and-discussion/going-the- ... 37098.html
If so,
1/I don't think you've got lessons to give on how others should react to the current coronavirus pandemic, and
2/ You say that you are in Thailand, so you don't have a clue about the situation in Cambodia. Cambodia is not Thailand.
Even in Cambodia, we are having problems with keeping up with what's going on here, so no lectures please.
brisie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by brisie »

Reading the other day CNN fox all the large media presenters have alowed 80% per day coverage of Corona the other 20% is for the rest.of what's going on around the world
This shit is selling when cunts get sick of hearing it like Bush fires they'll turn it down.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

To OP: sure, it does affect people if your job's gone down the pan - quite a big deal in fact, plus who actually wants to be locked indoors 24/7 by their respective police states
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

I'm not sure if people have ever not been "cry babies" in the sense that you use the term. I bet people all throughout history have bitched about whatever is going on around them. Besides, there's not much else to do right now since we're all inside and living in an internet age. I personally am working on some things(online learning and hobby stuff), but I still have a lot more free time to spend reading about covid. And why not? It's pretty damn relevant to my life, both current and how it will affect the future.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

I'm surprised by the crybaby hysteria on the "stranded in Cambodia" Facebook groups.

They act like they are going to die if they are not imminently "evacuated" from Cambodia.

They complain that their embassies haven't sent a military(?) type rescue plane for them.

When the embassy staffers find commercial flights they could take and send them that info, they complain that the flights are too expensive, or not direct enough, or not on their preferred airlines. Or they complain that the flights are leaving from Phnom Penh and they're "stranded" in Siem Reap and therefore can't make the flight.

They are basically screaming that they are going to die but then saying "But I'll only board a flight out of here if you pick me up in shuttle to the airport and if it's a free flight and it's on British Airways direct to London with no stops."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 pm I'm surprised by the crybaby hysteria on the "stranded in Cambodia" Facebook groups.

They act like they are going to die if they are not imminently "evacuated" from Cambodia.

They complain that their embassies haven't sent a military(?) type rescue plane for them.

When the embassy staffers find commercial flights they could take and send them that info, they complain that the flights are too expensive, or not direct enough, or not on their preferred airlines. Or they complain that the flights are leaving from Phnom Penh and they're "stranded" in Siem Reap and therefore can't make the flight.

They are basically screaming that they are going to die but then saying "But I'll only board a flight out of here if it's a free flight and it it's on British Airways direct to London with no stops."
I feel a bit sorry for them but it is a bit pathetic. I checked out that "Stranded" FB page a few days ago and there was some goofer asking if he had to get to Phnom Penh for the flight or not because he was in Sihanoukville. They should have read what was going on way back in January and not traveled, or returned before now. I never considered leaving and it's a bit different if you are established in a place, however if the shit hits the fan here it won't be pretty.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic