Are people starting to become cry babies?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Are people starting to become cry babies?

Post by fazur »

Alex wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:37 pm
pczz wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:57 am When it gets a grip in Cambodia, with bugger all health care it will be devastating with the potential to kill more than the Khmer Rouge.
That's an outlandish claim. Even if the entire population got infected (not going to happen) and none of them had access to any healthcare at the level required (which might be close to reality), COVID-19 still wouldn't kill anywhere near that number of people. Simply because too many cases are mild or even asymptomatic - especially in most young people, and Cambodia's population is very young.
assuming the virus doesnt mutate to a more virulent form

from what i understand viruses constantly mutate, but am not a doctor. am i wrong?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

No one I know is being a cry baby - we are all trying to make the most of the situation and encouraging one another as much as possible.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

No one is a cry baby, 3 of my family work for the NHS and another 684 died yesterday in the UK.....I am just worried for my family as they are working in a dangerous situation.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

pczz wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:57 am When it gets a grip in Cambodia, with bugger all health care it will be devastating with the potential to kill more than the Khmer Rouge.
That's an outlandish claim. Even if the entire population got infected (not going to happen) and none of them had access to any healthcare at the level required (which might be close to reality), COVID-19 still wouldn't kill anywhere near that number of people. Simply because too many cases are mild or even asymptomatic - especially in most young people, and Cambodia's population is very young.
Current death are doubleing about every 3 days in uk and us and that is with advanced healthcare and respirators and oxygen, sedation and so on
Detah rate is estiated at between 1.5 and 3% of the infected, bt not all countries are declaring properly. UK for example onlydecaes hospital deaths daily, not deaths at home or in care homes. This rises to an awful number and the trajectory is similarin all developed countries. without the equipent Cambodia will have a much higher death rate. wait and see. I said it has the potential, I did not say it definitely would. And there are other issues, like getting sick people to hospitals or clinics from villages in the rainy season. i would expect at least double the deathrate that is occurring in the uk.
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

fazur wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 pm
assuming the virus doesnt mutate to a more virulent form

from what i understand viruses constantly mutate, but am not a doctor. am i wrong?
With no testing, no cases can be found. Even people dying from respiratory disease in hospital are not being tested here in Cambodia.
I've seen many news article and expert say they thought SE had much more cases and death than it is reported due to lack of testing.
All spread simulation shows that the country should already be overran with the disease. The number of people testing positive when flying out of cambodia, towards countries with more testing capacities should be somewhat of a clue as well.

Different viruses mutate at different rates. We are barely scratching the surface when it comes to mutation, but the results so far are not too scary.
Unless the mutations turn this virus into a long-term virus (which is unlikely almost to the point of assuming it's impossible in the family "coronavirus" as far as I know) Higher fatality of a strain would most likely make it less contagious (looking at other short term viruses)
Mutation cannot easily be taken into account, it's too early, it's just a scary unknown, but so far so good. Mutation can also play in our favor.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

pczz wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:25 am
Current death are doubleing about every 3 days in uk and us and that is with advanced healthcare and respirators and oxygen, sedation and so on
Detah rate is estiated at between 1.5 and 3% of the infected, bt not all countries are declaring properly. UK for example onlydecaes hospital deaths daily, not deaths at home or in care homes. This rises to an awful number and the trajectory is similarin all developed countries. without the equipent Cambodia will have a much higher death rate. wait and see. I said it has the potential, I did not say it definitely would. And there are other issues, like getting sick people to hospitals or clinics from villages in the rainy season. i would expect at least double the deathrate that is occurring in the uk.
I don't think Cambodia will ever start to spike to numbers anywhere close to Europe or US.

Half of China have been living in Cambodia for years and I can't see how neighboring countries aren't living through the worst of it now.

I know someone said millions would be struggling. This post was only directed at foreigners and most in Cambodia surely have monthly retirement money or worked for a big company and can afford to live in a cheap country.

Must be a hard time for tourists and teflers.
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:30 pm No one I know is being a cry baby - we are all trying to make the most of the situation and encouraging one another as much as possible.
What?? You literally posted this two days ago:

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:23 am
So today I did exactly the same as I have always done and the payment went through from the sender end, the money left my bank account.
Except Western Union didn't have the receiver's middle name on their printout. My middle name.
I showed them my passport photo, showing them it's me, my photo, my name. But they just refused to budge.
And then I burst into tears which NEVER helps a situation in this country.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:38 am [

I know someone said millions would be struggling. This post was only directed at foreigners and most in Cambodia surely have monthly retirement money or worked for a big company and can afford to live in a cheap country.

Most of the long termers are Teflers though, so what do you suggest they do?
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:38 amThis post was only directed at foreigners and most in Cambodia surely have monthly retirement money or worked for a big company and can afford to live in a cheap country.
hahahha if i had a dollar for every expat i have lent money

they are here bcoz its cheap

why do people like cheap locations, bcoz thyre broke
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

God'sGift wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm
SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:38 am [

Most of the long termers are Teflers though, so what do you suggest they do?
Teach online?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic