Chickens and fowl question

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chickens and fowl question

Post by Element6 »

I have a variety of chicken breeds as well as some other birds (peafowl guinea fowl, turkey, geese) at my place in Kep. I am new to this so dont have an insight in to what medications/vaccinations I should be giving them to prevent health issues moving forward.

Any help and insight on to what medications are necessary, frequency, dosage, etc would be greatly appreciated, plus any source of the medication in Phnom Penh, Kep or Kampot (I am usually in PP) if known would be great

Many thanks in Advance
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Chickens and fowl question

Post by pczz »

Do not keep the chickens and turkeys together. there is a disease chickens get which does not kill them but will rip through turkeys like coronavirus on speed. farmer friedn told me wild fowl are much more resistant to disease and need less medication unless you are intending to eat them
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Vaccinate against Newcastle disease. !!!!!
An eye drop available thru any vet,
..and some general farm supply businesses
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Thanks guys

anything else I need to watch out for and medicate against?
dan.phillips
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by dan.phillips »

I'm looking for a couple of female Guinea fowl in kampot to replace some which were killed. The cock is very lonely. Do you have any spare?
Element6 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 am I have a variety of chicken breeds as well as some other birds (peafowl guinea fowl, turkey, geese) at my place in Kep. I am new to this so dont have an insight in to what medications/vaccinations I should be giving them to prevent health issues moving forward.

Any help and insight on to what medications are necessary, frequency, dosage, etc would be greatly appreciated, plus any source of the medication in Phnom Penh, Kep or Kampot (I am usually in PP) if known would be great

Many thanks in Advance
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I have 3 hatchlings but they are still too young to sex. I will update on how they turn out. Alternatively they do advertise on Khmer24 from time to time but no idea of location.

I thought Guinea fowl were monogamous and mated for life so not sure if your male would do the business with any new ladies?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Don't expand and go to big till you know what your doing, I ventured into ducks on advise from girl and family friends a total disaster when I found out the difference between boy and girl ducks .
I had mostly boy ducks worthless hahaha gotta laugh at myself mostly for being naive.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

atst wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:36 am Don't expand and go to big till you know what your doing, I ventured into ducks on advise from girl and family friends a total disaster when I found out the difference between boy and girl ducks .
I had mostly boy ducks worthless hahaha gotta laugh at myself mostly for being naive.
Only worthless when you go to sell them . When you go to buy them , cooked, on a plate with rice or soup, then they are expensive.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I brought a load of hatching eggs over from the UK of different varieties of chicken and am surprised I ended up with so many cocks. Does time to incubation or temperature prior to incubation have any effect on the outcome of the sex?
dan.phillips
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by dan.phillips »

Yeah, that would be great thanks. I'm down here now and could collect (even the young ones). She wants them for keeping the small snakes down. I don't know about their breeding habits, only chicken and duck.
Element6 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:15 am I have 3 hatchlings but they are still too young to sex. I will update on how they turn out. Alternatively they do advertise on Khmer24 from time to time but no idea of location.

I thought Guinea fowl were monogamous and mated for life so not sure if your male would do the business with any new ladies?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic