Event 201 Pandemic Exercise

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Event 201 Pandemic Exercise

Post by SEAdude »

Selected moments from the Event 201 pandemic tabletop exercise hosted by The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in partnership with the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation on October 18, 2019, in New York, NY. The exercise illustrated the pandemic preparedness efforts needed to diminish the large-scale economic and societal consequences of a severe pandemic.

Drawing from actual events, Event 201 identifies important policy issues and preparedness challenges that could be solved with sufficient political will and attention. These issues were designed in a narrative to engage and educate the participants and the audience.

https://www.google.com/search?q=event%20201

SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Event 201 Pandemic Exercise

Post by SEAdude »

Anyone?
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

Modern society is built in a way that makes pandemics risks one of it's main weaknesses. Goods and people travel all over the globe at a frenetic pace, people conglomerate into small area, stacking each other in huge sky scrapers. Modern medicine even though it's efficient reduces our natural immunity long term. I do not see anything shocking about pandemic preparedness meeting, regardless of the date they took place.

Did the people in power release the covid-19 on purpose? Did they release it by mistake? Is it a fully natural disease and not a fabricated crisis? Unless you're a top hacker or have access to secret documents I do not see anyway of taking any conclusion regarding that. More might be known in the future via better genetic understanding, but we are years away of being able to know if a virus was created in a lab via any other method than direct gene editing as far as I know.

Maybe that's why no one's commenting, there's no way to know.

On the other hand people in power do not need to manufacture crisis for their own goals, crisis are bound to happen often enough, they can just wait for the next crisis to come in order to execute any plan they have in store.

In the case of the covid-19, I doubt it was manufactured, even if the people in power have the means to isolate themselves in palaces with harems like the king of thailand did, they are all old geezers. Virus can mutate unpredictably. Manufacturing such a disease and releasing it on purpose is not very likely, even if one would argue they might already have a vaccine mutation are too unpredictable, and the people in power / rich people are all old as fuck.

One does not fabricate a crisis he can't control on purpose I believe. Unless he is desperate. The powerful and governments weren't in their best shape last year, but didn't look desperate to me.

What's the point of fabricating a dangerous virus to spread fear, if you can just wait for a new flu and convince people it's twenty times more fatal through dishonest narratives.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I agree, I don't see how it would be in any country's interest to spread this virus. I'm mostly bothered by the "blame game" being indulged in recently. I got refused service in a shop I've been going to regularly for about 6 years this evening. That scares me.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

@John Bingham
Wow, that sucks. I've seen many reports of anti-foreigner behavior with this crisis but never experienced it myself since I started wearing a mask and visibly spraying my hands.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:45 pm got refused service in a shop I've been going to regularly for about 6 years this evening.
name and shame?

the govt have clearly been directing blame at westerners and ignoring chinese
ironic
but perhaps it's working
:despair:

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:45 pm I agree, I don't see how it would be in any country's interest to spread this virus. I'm mostly bothered by the "blame game" being indulged in recently. I got refused service in a shop I've been going to regularly for about 6 years this evening. That scares me.
Anybody else had similar problems?

A backlash against foreigners with the Chinese being spared will be a tragic irony, especially for what is left of Cambodia's tourist sector.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic