Western Union problem

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Western Union problem

Post by rozzieoz »

Hoping someone has some ideas on how to deal with this.

I worked out a while ago that it's cheaper to send a Western Union payment to myself from my Aussie bank account, than it is to do an international transfer to an ABA account.
I've been doing WU payments to myself using WU online for several months so this was not a new thing.

When you send a WU payment online to someone, you enter their details once and after that, you just click on the sender - So none of the receiver details have changed since the first payment I sent to myself.
I've been going to the same WU for the past few months, at least once a week. It's so convenient and they know me. They even let me get a payment while my visa was in the process of being renewed.

So to get this straight:
- They know me at that branch
- None of my details (as both sender and receiver) have changed

So today I did exactly the same as I have always done and the payment went through from the sender end, the money left my bank account.
Except Western Union didn't have the receiver's middle name on their printout. My middle name.
I showed them my passport photo, showing them it's me, my photo, my name. But they just refused to budge.
And then I burst into tears which NEVER helps a situation in this country.

I went home and got a print out of my transfer and also of the receiver details, where it clearly shows my middle name.
They wouldn't even look at it.

They told me to try a different Western Union.
Has anyone had a situation like this and how did you resolve it? I thought I was going to lose my mind.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Re: Western Union problem

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Stop crying and just collect the money at a different Western Union branch where the clerk isn't so uptight.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Yep. You have now been given the same advice, thrice.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

rozzieoz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:26 pm Hoping someone has some ideas on how to deal with this.

I worked out a while ago that it's cheaper to send a Western Union payment to myself from my Aussie bank account, than it is to do an international transfer to an ABA account.
I've been doing WU payments to myself using WU online for several months so this was not a new thing.

When you send a WU payment online to someone, you enter their details once and after that, you just click on the sender - So none of the receiver details have changed since the first payment I sent to myself.
I've been going to the same WU for the past few months, at least once a week. It's so convenient and they know me. They even let me get a payment while my visa was in the process of being renewed.

So to get this straight:

So today I did exactly the same as I have always done and the payment went through from the sender end, the money left my bank account.
Except Western Union didn't have the receiver's middle name on their printout. My middle name.
I showed them my passport photo, showing them it's me, my photo, my name. But they just refused to budge.

I went home and got a print out of my transfer and also of the receiver details, where it clearly shows my middle name.

Has anyone had a situation like this and how did you resolve it? I thought I was going to lose my mind.
This is not new. the name on the sending documents must match the receivers name in full. Got caught with this one about 3 years ago becuase someone leftmy middle name out. it cost a $5 exceptioal payment fee. I am suprised you are using WU. Transferwise operates in OZ and you can send money to Cambodia. It is not listed in their web page but i emailed support and have confirmation you can send to and receive from Cambodia. Other members are also using it. To avoid comlications yur cambodian account should have exactly the same name as the sending account, which should be the same as on your passport
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Flood the internet on facebook with your problem and your will get messages from WU to send a private message to discuss the problem. They hate bad advertising , so keep it on Face book.

I am having a problem with OFX at this moment as I sent money to Cambodia and after I paid into their account ,,they sent me a e/mail to say they cancelled the deal as they could not contact me. First they said in a e/mail they had the money in their account , then said they didnt have it and I would have to fill out this / that form

I already have messages saying to send private message to discuss it which I will not do . The F/B world will decide the outcome.

No thumbs up for OFX
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

pczz wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:26 pm Hoping someone has some ideas on how to deal with this.

So to get this straight:

This is not new. the name on the sending documents must match the receivers name in full. Got caught with this one about 3 years ago becuase someone leftmy middle name out. it cost a $5 exceptioal payment fee. I am suprised you are using WU. Transferwise operates in OZ and you can send money to Cambodia. It is not listed in their web page but i emailed support and have confirmation you can send to and receive from Cambodia. Other members are also using it. To avoid comlications yur cambodian account should have exactly the same name as the sending account, which should be the same as on your passport
It is exactly the same on my end. Nothing changed.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Sweet Lemon wrote:Stop crying and just collect the money at a different Western Union branch where the clerk isn't so uptight.
I’m going to try that today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Maybe try this one Roz - go back to WU branch
- tell them you have reported this problem to WU Central, and that they asked you for branch name and number, and personal details of staff and manager for a formal report/complaint proceedure
ask for their WU branch number
ask for managers name in full, and same for staff you spoke to
take photo's, formally - not as an angry reaction thing
Tell them WU have asked you specifically to do this as they are very concerned that local branch will not discuss a way to resolve this.
Be polite, organised and show that you are writing all this down for a report.

That may change things. They might suddenly fear they could loose their agency.
Good luck.
Ifrenchkiss
Tourist
Australia

Post by Ifrenchkiss »

Hi you could cancel the transfer from the senders end and resend, you will lose the commission only. If the receiver doesn't collect I think there is already a time limit when the transfer would be auto-cancelled and refunded (minus commission) anyway.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:23 am
pczz wrote:

So to get this straight:

It is exactly the same on my end. Nothing changed.
I undertsand that, but since Cambodia was put on the grey list for moneylaundering all the fiancial institutions are being more careful about applying the rules. you may have got away with it in the past but now....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic