Arrived back in the UK from Cambodia on Saturday

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Arrived back in the UK from Cambodia on Saturday

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

MacSkye wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 pm I managed to secure a flight organised by a British traveler, Jerry, through Malaysian Airlines, to fly back from PP to London. This comes after having my phone stolen, money, and about $6000 spent on flights by my boss which kept on being cancelled or not allowed to transit through airports.

What have a noticed since coming back to the UK? I arrived in London Heathrow, took the tube into Kings Cross Station in London, train to Edinburgh then train to Polmont and taxi to my friends house for quarantine.

On that journey since arriving off the airplane, I saw one, just one public use hand sanitiser. That was at the airport. Absolutely nothing else.

Compared to PP, there were many buildings I could not enter without getting my temperature checked, I had to sanitise my hands, even in shops they had hand sanitisers for people to use.

I was to be thrown out my hotel (on 51st st) if I did not wear my face mask going through reception.

Here in the UK? Nothing. Not seen one person wear a face mask, not seen any public hand santizer - it has all been stolen.

We are on lock down here, allowed 1 hour outside a day only to go to the shop, chemist or a walk, but need to keep a 2 meter distance.

And the virus is rife here compared to Cambodia, well, according to official reports.

Am I happy to be home? Yes, to be close to my family, but I am not allowed to see them. But it is cold, quiet, not clean. PP was still up and running, hopefully the virus will not spread in Cambodia like it has done here in Europe or other places.

Just keep your hands clean and get some fresh air when you can, and keep eating plenty food.

I am fortunate to be home, but I will be back again in PP when I get the chance to, and see other parts of this amazing country and people.

I got reduced rate in my guesthouse due to my financial situation and fed by locals in their homes, so thank you to the Cambodian people.
noticed the exact same thing its shocking
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 am noticed the exact same thing its shocking
I think Doc pointed out earlier, that there are still flights coming in from, shall we call them, hotspots? Most every other country has pretty tight borders at airports, but not so much in UK. :roll:

The lack of quarantine (potential), testing, sanitizer etc. is pretty miserable.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

MacSkye wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:12 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 am
MacSkye wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 pm I managed to secure a flight organised by a British traveler, Jerry, through Malaysian Airlines, to fly back from PP to London. This comes after having my phone stolen, money, and about $6000 spent on flights by my boss which kept on being cancelled or not allowed to transit through airports.

What have a noticed since coming back to the UK? I arrived in London Heathrow, took the tube into Kings Cross Station in London, train to Edinburgh then train to Polmont and taxi to my friends house for quarantine.

On that journey since arriving off the airplane, I saw one, just one public use hand sanitiser. That was at the airport. Absolutely nothing else.

Compared to PP, there were many buildings I could not enter without getting my temperature checked, I had to sanitise my hands, even in shops they had hand sanitisers for people to use.

I was to be thrown out my hotel (on 51st st) if I did not wear my face mask going through reception.

Here in the UK? Nothing. Not seen one person wear a face mask, not seen any public hand santizer - it has all been stolen.

We are on lock down here, allowed 1 hour outside a day only to go to the shop, chemist or a walk, but need to keep a 2 meter distance.

And the virus is rife here compared to Cambodia, well, according to official reports.

Am I happy to be home? Yes, to be close to my family, but I am not allowed to see them. But it is cold, quiet, not clean. PP was still up and running, hopefully the virus will not spread in Cambodia like it has done here in Europe or other places.

Just keep your hands clean and get some fresh air when you can, and keep eating plenty food.

I am fortunate to be home, but I will be back again in PP when I get the chance to, and see other parts of this amazing country and people.

I got reduced rate in my guesthouse due to my financial situation and fed by locals in their homes, so thank you to the Cambodian people.
Either someone is pulling your chain or Scotland has impelemented new laws. it was confirmed today bythe british government you can go out shopping as much as necessary for people like me with no fridge need to go almost daily. there are no time limits on how long you van be aout, just as well as average queue at my local supermarkets is about 40 minutes. You are only supposed to go out for essetial supplies, medicines, gp appointments and looking after vulnerable people and 1 hours exercise a day
From the Scottish government: Staying at home

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes, for example:

for basic necessities, such as food and medicine. Trips must be as infrequent as possible
daily exercise, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
to ensure basic animal welfare needs are met, including taking dogs out when necessary
any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home
These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

These measures must be followed by everyone.

Delivering these measures

These measures will reduce our day to day contact with other people. They are a vital part of our efforts to reduce the rate of transmission of coronavirus.

Everyone is instructed to comply with these new measures.

The Scottish Government is ensuring the police and other relevant authorities have the powers to enforce them where people do not comply.
If you leave your home or gather in public without a reasonable excuse the police may:

instruct you to go home, leave an area or disperse
instruct you to take steps to stop your children breaking these rules if they have already done so
take you home – or arrest you – if you do not follow their instructions or where they deem it necessary
The police will act with discretion and common sense in applying these measures and we expect the public to act responsibly, staying at home in order to save lives.

However, if they believe you have broken these rules and you are 16 or over – or you refuse to follow their instructions – a police officer may issue you with a fixed penalty notice for £60 (reduced to £30 if paid within 28 days).

If a person has already received a fixed penalty notice, the amount will increase to £120 and double on each further repeat offence up to a maximum of £960.

The government will keep this under review and will increase the penalties if it becomes clear that this is necessary to ensure compliance.

Similarly, a business or venue operating in contravention with these measures will be committing an offence.

Local authorities will monitor compliance, with support from the police, if appropriate.

Businesses and premises that breach them will be subject to prohibition notices and fines. Businesses that continue to contravene the measures will be forced to close down.

For both individuals and companies, if you refuse to pay a fixed penalty or the police consider it necessary, you may also be taken to court, and face the statutory maximum level of fines (£10,000).

These measures are in force for 6 months in the first instance, unless all, or parts are revoked. They will initially last for the 3 weeks from 27 March 2020, at which point the Scottish Government will review and relax them if the evidence shows this is possible.

Up north, on Skye, people can go out for longer, down here in the central belt, there seems to be this 1 hour maximum per day limit per person, and no more than 2 people allowed to walk together.

Baby boom come Christmas time I guess, if they are allowed within 2 meter distance in bed that is.
But where does it say you can only go out for an hour. As long as you are performing an allowed activity there is no limit, except on exercise
MacSkye
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by MacSkye »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:34 pm I don't understand this obsession with hand sanitizer. UK airports have bathrooms with warm water and soap right?
Best way to kill germs in alcohol, sense sanitisers, cleaning cuts, hot toddies the lot. Toilets do have soap and water - but is the temperature of water enough to kill germs like alcohol will?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

MacSkye wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:35 am
TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:34 pm I don't understand this obsession with hand sanitizer. UK airports have bathrooms with warm water and soap right?
Best way to kill germs in alcohol, sense sanitisers, cleaning cuts, hot toddies the lot. Toilets do have soap and water - but is the temperature of water enough to kill germs like alcohol will?
This novel Corona virus has a 'skin' build up from lipids, soap will damage it and inactivate the virus. No need for hot water, no need for alcohol, just water, soap, and some time.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Wash your hands regularly. Do not touch your face. Stay apart by at least 1m. You do not need masks unless you are already sick, and then you should be in isolation, anyhow. Cough into a tissue, bin the tissue, wash your hands.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

How many members are still here, and how many go home?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Yerg wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:05 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 am noticed the exact same thing its shocking
I think Doc pointed out earlier, that there are still flights coming in from, shall we call them, hotspots? Most every other country has pretty tight borders at airports, but not so much in UK. :roll:

The lack of quarantine (potential), testing, sanitizer etc. is pretty miserable.
a couple of weeks ago i flew back to the uk after 5months living in thailand, philippines and cambodia and not one check or mention of self quarantine or anything when i arrived back
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:33 pm How many members are still here, and how many go home?
I’m home. In Cambodia. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:33 pm How many members are still here, and how many go home?
I’m not at home (Phnom Penh); I’m in Europe, working. Was due to fly back in 2 days :facepalm:
To add insult to injury, I can’t even go to the pub and drown my sorrows/enjoy a pint of Guinness with a friend
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic